PDA

View Full Version : Andres Galaraga NL Bating Title Bat

Jake51
02-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Hi – I have a commemorative bat that was issued when Galaraga won the NL bating title in the Rockies first year (1993).

The bat is signed and dated by Andres and is also numbered #51 of 60 made on the handle.

Just wondering what folks think the value would be on something like this?

Thanks!

Tom

flaco1801
03-01-2006, 12:12 AM
60 bats??? id think its worth 100k feel better now? sheesh its worth whatever someone is willing to pay ya.

suave1477
03-01-2006, 04:36 AM
well i have to agree its really worth whatever someone is willing to pay. You have to realize being that it is numbered on a commerative bat really only makes it valuable to someone would be interested in collecting something like that. Otherwise I would just say whatever Andres general market value of his autograph is and thats what its worth!! General market value would probably be somewhere in the $60 range but i could be wrong.

Here is some info Andres was supposed to play with the Mets in 2005 he was invited to spring camp but didnt make the cut. They actaully have a season jersey for him but he never got the chance to wear it.

Jake51
03-01-2006, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the info...not a bat guy at all (guessing that is rather obvious at this point) so I appreciate the help.

Tom

Eric
03-01-2006, 10:20 AM
60 bats??? id think its worth 100k feel better now? sheesh its worth whatever someone is willing to pay ya.

A suggestion-

It's responses like this that will keep new forum members or inexperienced hobbyists from posting on this site.

People should not be put down for asking any question.

A reminder- any and every question is welcome here, if it's your first day collecting or if you have been in the hobby 50 years.

I hate the idea that people would hesitate to ask a question because they might be met with this kind of attitude.

A simple "I think it's probably one of those things where it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay" would have been sufficient.

Thanks
Eric

flaco1801
03-01-2006, 11:22 AM
eric im simply tired of people asking how much money is something worth. you like something you buy it. you dont buy something you like and then ask a question of what its worth. this is a hobby remember. we are not talking about a rarity of the hobby. there are many books and magazines to read to get an approximate value. i may be wrong, but i think the forum is about asking questions about what we have found in an attic, flea market, or happenned upon during our lifes travels, sharing our finds and not putting a monetary value upon everything we purchase. and to be truthful, we already know what the bat is worth, whatever the hobbyist paid for it, plus the ENJOYMENT he gets from owning it and having it in his COLLECTION. i keep telling myself this is a hobby, this is a hobby, this is a hobby. 27 years and counting, ive never made a dime on anything ive purchased, tho ive given away many items to make people smile, and even coaxed a few into collecting themselves. Please enjoy what you purchase, dont think about whats it worth, you might find someday that the item is indeed valueable, only because your grandchildren had memories of your excitement with your collection.

suave1477
03-01-2006, 11:37 AM
flaco i disagree with you somewhat, items do have a monetary value otherwise there wouldnt be price guides and yes in deed i do agree that it is about the collector and what he wants, but items do have general market vaules.
It is a HOBBY, but as everything else in this world it costs money. I want an autographed mickey mantle baseball but I am not going to pay millions of dollars for it, just bcuz I want it. So items that have monetary values can also help you associate with if the item is in demand or if it is rare. As far as speaking about it here is the perfect place to discuss it bcuz it is a part of the hobby. Since you feel this hobby shouldnt have Monetary Value go to a Derek Jeter signing get a Bat signed and when they tell you "that will be $500 Sir" I want you to tell them "This is a HOBBY" - see if they let you go on the $500

nycsports
03-01-2006, 11:39 AM
Hi Jake,

Sorry you had to deal with flaco's attitude. I am surprised, because I have made several posts on this board, and everybody who responded has been nothing but helpful and polite.

Anyway, regarding your bat I would have agree with Suave, it is probably worth in the $60 range. However, since it is dated and inscribed, maybe a little more, like $70-75.

Hope this helps!

Matt

Jake51
03-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Matt – Yes, that does help. Thank you.

Eric – Thanks for saying what I was thinking.

Flaco – I get your point and can agree with the aspect that, yes, there is an enjoyment element that helps you set your own ‘internal’ valuation of an item. I feel this way about game used Broncos jerseys – there ‘value’ comes from the connection they provide to a memory of watching a specific player or a specific season. The monetary value of the jerseys I have are secondary in this case for me.

To the bat, as I mentioned, I am clueless on what to look for, valuation, etc with bats. I had a cousin that worked for the Rockies in ’93 and had given me a bunch of bats that bat boys picked up after they were cracked, etc during games as well as this commemorative bat so I was just trying to find out more info so I didn’t get taken if I decided to part with it….granted, you are right that there are price guides, etc to find this stuff but I thought I would try the experts first.

Sorry to extend this one but thought I should respond. Thanks again to everyone with the help on the valuation.

Jake

Eric
03-01-2006, 12:12 PM
eric im simply tired of people asking how much money is something worth. you like something you buy it. you dont buy something you like and then ask a question of what its worth. this is a hobby remember. we are not talking about a rarity of the hobby. there are many books and magazines to read to get an approximate value.

My advice if you feel this way would be to simply move on to the next post. No need for a nasty comment.

Also, it would also be helpful to suggest to Tom where he might be able to find the answer if indeed there is a guide which could tell him how much the bat is worth.

Let's think constructively here.

All collectors are welcomed. All questions are welcomed.
Eric

suave1477
03-01-2006, 02:12 PM
i have not seen many game used meorabilia price guides or even autographed bat price guides.

I think it is TUSSSTUFF Magazine gives you a brief book value guide every month on autographed basbeballs and bats.

I heard beckett does something similar but you have to buy there annual price guide which is a lot of money, I mean seriously the bi monthly is already $10 anything more then that i think is a bit much to pay for a price guide.

I hope this helps!!!:p

flaco1801
03-01-2006, 06:42 PM
im sorry i didnt mean to be rude or condecending. i have been around this hobby for a long time and i get a bit nostalgic for the times before. regarding the jeter bat for 500 dollars. if ya wanna wait in line for a bat with his signature thats fine, just think of this, you and maybe 3,000 people will have the same "collectable". imho this is not a collectable but merely an investment. when we were kids we used to watch batting practice and wait for the ballplayers to sign on their way to the dugout. i know things change and many dont sign anymore but i think its still possible. i still cherish my scraps of paper with signatures of all the mets ive met as a kid. i can still remember almost each and every autograph,the thrill and joy of meeting a favorite star. like ernie banks scribbling lets play two, or johnny bateman telling us to go steal some hubcaps after we didnt see eye to eye lol. my point being enjoy the game, have fun and collect what you love. i almost forget the time when i snuck into the hotel(otsego? sp) after the 50th anniversary game of the hall of fame. (6-10-89) but thats a great story of a great day. P.S. i begged mrs. dave cash and mrs. rennie stennent for their pass only to get one from a kind soul who remains anonyomous (but never forgotten). Jeff

flaco1801
03-01-2006, 06:44 PM
opps i almost forget what i was aiming to get across. sometimes you dont have to pay anything to get the best collectibles, it comes from what you make of it.

suave1477
03-01-2006, 10:03 PM
flaco you know what that sounds great and everything but this is 2006, HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!! You cant just walk up to AROD before a game its a little bit harder its called fences and security guards and players greed for money, but i tell you what if you know away to change the way of living of collecting baseball ball autographs im all for it, until then it is a money related issue. We all would like to be the guy who snuck pass the 90 year old security guard to get jeters autograph but that time has come and gone. Did you know mantle back in the 80's when he was broke started doing shows all over the place to make money and was charging $25 for an autograph, IMAGINE THAT!!! Just a lousy $25 for a mantle autograph. If I knew then what I knew now I would have spent every single dime I had into his autographs and made tons back now!!!!

flaco1801
03-02-2006, 12:08 AM
ill refrain from answering that one but i think making tons of money is best accomplished by hard work or a good stock broker.:)

suave1477
03-02-2006, 09:13 AM
Flaco ok so your wrong and thats ok were all human!!

EurekaDave
03-02-2006, 02:40 PM
I would be interested in that bat. Please e-mail me and we can talk about it--unless you want to keep it. das1721@cox.net