PDA

View Full Version : Alameda Sports Project (my personal project)

Dewey2007
05-29-2008, 10:38 PM
I wanted to share some of what I have been working on since I have gotten back into collecting just a short 6 months ago. Purchasing a J.R. Rider Blazers jersey inspired me and it's something I call the Alameda Sports Project. Here is a website I have put together on it.

http://www.freewebs.com/alamedasportsproject/home.htm

I would appreciate feedback but please no comments on the layout or design because I am not a technical person and freewebs.com is something that was easy enough for even me to use. I will be trying to upgrade the site to a more viewer friendly version in the near future. I'd appreciate feedback more on the content and if you think there is something that could be added or developed more or if it seems OK the way it is. I have more photos to add later but I have stared at the pages long enough and thought I'd put it out there for now. Thanks!

By the way, Alameda, CA is my hometown if you haven't guessed :)

Dewey
deweystg@berkeley.edu

shoremen44
05-30-2008, 08:15 AM
Dewey,
Cool project... what you have so far is pretty nice

Dewey2007
06-01-2008, 09:53 PM
I bought my own domain name today for my sports project website. Kind of cool to have something that someone might actually run across on the web. Anyhow, I thought it would be more professional then having "freewebs.com" attached to it especially for what I'm trying do. Here's the new address:

http://www.alamedasportsproject.com/

Anyhow, I've reformatted some of the pages with photos and added some other new pics. If your into this kind of thing I hope you enjoy it.

Dewey

thrush29
06-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Nice project! Here's a little feedback, maybe inlcude a little more about the cities history, population etc. on the home page, as a reader I would also be a little interested about the exact connection each player has with your town...ie high school or sporting program in which they had particiapted in and what years prior to going pro....just some thoughts. Loved the sight!!!!!!!!!!

David

Dewey2007
06-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the feeback. I will definitely try to work in that additional info at some point. I actually have it set it up that if you click on the city name on the home page it will take you to a link with more info on the city's demographics.

mariner_gamers
06-01-2008, 11:16 PM
The site is nice, clean, and easy to get around. I like how you've incorporated the game used pieces it gives everything a very personal feel. Most sites will only have photo's, replica items etc. It would be nice to have some of the individuals pictured give their personal memories to the site. Keep at it!!

Davis

Dewey2007
06-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Thanks! I did want to try and incorporate a "What Happened To" section or something along the lines of what you mentioned. Very difficult to track down post-career info on a lot of these former players. I tried to write to a few of them about the sports exhibit I'm helping plan but they don't seem interested or at least they haven't responded yet. I plan on trying to share the site with them if possible and I'll ask them if they want to contribute anything.

Dewey2007
06-16-2008, 09:56 PM
I am happy to say that I have added a new section to the Alameda Sports Project website called "Athlete Q&A". The idea was borrowed from the forum's own 5 GU Questions.

The first athlete to take part is former Twins & Japanese League pitcher Erik Schullstrom. I have known Erik since our high school days and I appreciate him taking the time to be a part of the project.

I hope you enjoy the Q&A section and I hope to be adding more athletes Q&A's over the coming months. The website address is at the bottom.

Vintagedeputy
06-16-2008, 10:25 PM
I like the black and white "classic" newspaper style - very nice!

I recently bought my first sports related site. Its more of an investment rather than a fan site. Its www.kevinboss89.com (http://www.kevinboss89.com). Just a one page site that I'm hoping to sell down the road, perhaps even to Kevin Boss. I'm hearing that Jeremy Shockey may be on the outs (again) with the Giants so Boss may get a full time shot.

Jim