PDA

View Full Version : Bill Ripken Glove On Ebay

ironmanfan
06-03-2008, 12:22 PM
I want to start by saying that I didn't contact the seller of this glove because (to be fair) he never comes and says that this particular glove ever belonged to Bill Ripken (something about it coming from Jim Leyritz), but I did check with Billy today and he confirmed that it is not one of his (just in case anyone would be bidding hoping it might be).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=360057008092&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=023

Vintagedeputy
06-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Jim Leyritz, who throws righty, wore #31 for the Red Sox in 1998.

The photo below from '98 ST looks like the glove. I guess its possible that he got a salesman sample in '98 to try out in ST.

mr.miracle
06-04-2008, 12:55 PM
I want to start by saying that I didn't contact the seller of this glove because (to be fair) he never comes and says that this particular glove ever belonged to Bill Ripken (something about it coming from Jim Leyritz), but I did check with Billy today and he confirmed that it is not one of his (just in case anyone would be bidding hoping it might be).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=360057008092&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=023

Hello Bill:

Thank you for the update on this glove. I too saw it on ebay and would have considered bidding on it. I appreciate the valuable info. that surely saved myself and others from having the wool pulled over our eyes and lighter wallets to boot.

Thanks

spedrunr
06-07-2008, 02:16 AM
hi, i just bought the glove (i know, i fell for it). someone from this forum contacted me after the auction and told me to look up this thread. how do they get gloves stitched with player names? i already paid with paypal. i guess i'm stuck with it.:(

3arod13
06-07-2008, 06:18 AM
hi, i just bought the glove (i know, i fell for it). someone from this forum contacted me after the auction and told me to look up this thread. how do they get gloves stitched with player names? i already paid with paypal. i guess i'm stuck with it.:(

No you're not. You can file a claim with paypal and they will investigate the matter. If in your favor, paypal will give you your money back.

I had the same situation happen to me with an Alex Rodriguez Fielding Glove. The glove was sold as a game used signed glove. The glove was acutally an 1999 Upper Deck Alex Rodriguez Signed Glove. The seller worked it up to look game used. Filed a complaint with paypal and won.

Don't give up!

Tony

joelsabi
06-07-2008, 06:45 AM
I had the same situation happen to me with an Alex Rodriguez Fielding Glove. The glove was sold as a game used signed glove. The glove was acutally an 1999 Upper Deck Alex Rodriguez Signed Glove. The seller worked it up to look game used. Filed a complaint with paypal and won.

Don't give up!

Tony

Are those the gloves that are misspelled rodriQuez? wow, a seller trying to pass those off as game used. how sad.

joelsabi
06-07-2008, 06:52 AM
how do they get gloves stitched with player names? i already paid with paypal. i guess i'm stuck with it.:(

there is a rawlings websites that offers personalized name stitching. i wonder how can they refuse to stitch your name if you claim your name happens to be the same as an actual ballplayer? its kinda like a nice gift for a kid that has everything. it makes me ultra skeptical about these gloves with name stitching unless there is some type of documentation that says it was game used.

spedrunr
06-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Does anyone know what model glove billy used? i've seen getty pix of him using what looks like a Pro 1000 (conventional back, H-web) and then towards the end of his career it looks just like the glove i won (fastback, H-web).

The fastback H-web is fairly common but in a 12.75" outfield model called the Pro-H. This appears to be an infielders model (12"?) And I've never seen the model designation Pro1005HF before.

I've heard rumors that there are companies that will stitch a name on a glove even after the glove has been made. Perhaps they can disassemble it and stitch it on the thumb(?)

"You can file a claim with paypal and they will investigate the matter. If in your favor, paypal will give you your money back."

Will paypal investigate even though the seller did not specifically claim that it was a gamer?

bigtime59
06-07-2008, 08:16 AM

If you paid via Paypal with your credit card, simply return the glove (with tracking...I'd suggest requiring a signature), and request a chargeback through your credit card company. Nothing lights a fire under Paypal like a chargeback.

RobSteinmetz
06-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Guys,

I've read this auction listing, and nowhere does the seller state that it is a game worn Billy Ripken glove. In my opinion, I would say that the winning bidder received exactly what was advertised...a pro model Billy Ripken glove that was likely used by Jim Leyritz. Ripken and Leyritz played together in Texas in '97. It's not really a stretch to think that Ripken received this glove from Rawlings, didn't like it (or didn't need it), and gave it to Leyritz. These guys trade equipment all the time...and as many probably know, Leyritz has been selling everything over the last few years.

RobSteinmetz
06-10-2008, 11:31 AM
On a side note, I've been told that Rawlings does closely monitor the custom embroidery orders that come through. If you tried to have a glove embroidered with the name of a famous big league player, your order would be refused. With regard to this specific Billy Ripken glove, I don't believe Rawlings was embroidering gloves for the public at the time.

Vintagedeputy
06-10-2008, 11:34 AM
On a side note, I've been told that Rawlings does closely monitor the custom embroidery orders that come through. If you tried to have a glove embroidered with the name of a famous big league player, your order would be refused. With regard to this specific Billy Ripken glove, I don't believe Rawlings was embroidering gloves for the public at the time.

Rob - I cant swear to it, but I recall first looking at the auction and the title was something like Billy Ripken game used glove.

Jim

Vintagedeputy
06-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Item Revisions summary for item #360057008092http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gifhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif
http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/x.gifThe seller has revised the following item information:
Date Time Revised Information May-29-0819:20:13 PDTDescription

May-30-0805:44:28 PDTDescription

RobSteinmetz
06-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Could be the description or title were altered, but at the time of auction close it made no mention of being used by Billy Ripken. With that said, I thought that eBay marked listings that were altered. I don't see any notes on the listing indicating a change (unless I'm missing it).

I just received an email from someone who made mention of the fact that Leyritz wore #13 in '97 with Texas, and #31 with Boston in '98 (this glove is marked with a #31). Assuming Ripken gave Leyritz this glove in '97, it's reasonable to believe that the glove was carried over to Boston for use in '98.