PDA

View Full Version : Hide cracks after repair?

matt
06-09-2008, 05:08 PM
My son and I are enjoying the repair of GU bats. Does anyone have thoughts about how (or whether to) hide the visible crack line after the repair on a black bat? Paint or shoe polish? Leave it alone?

As an example, we just finished this great 2008 Lowell bat and the repair is very smooth and solid, but you can still see a line where it was broken. Should I attempt to obscure it? Anyone have experiences?

We are working on a 2007 M9 Pedroia bat with a complex break next...

Matt

Birdbats
06-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Matt,

Here are three good options to try:

1) Black Sharpie. Color in a small section (about 1") and wipe it off with a clean rag almost immediately. In most cases, it'll soak into the crack and wipe off the finished part of the bat.

2) Ebony wood filler. You can buy these at any hardware store. Like a black crayon, but made to fill in nail holes and other imperfections in furniture/wood. After "coloring" the crack, wipe off the excess with a rag.

3) Testor's model paint... but in a pen, not in a bottle (much like a gold or silver paint pen for autographs... sold in flat and gloss). Shake the pen well, dab some on a small area and wipe away (same technique as the Sharpie).

Hope these ideas help.

bigtruck260
08-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Just wanted to bring this thread back....

I recently sold a black M9 that Jeff had repaired at one point, and the crack was barely visible. I now have another M9 from the EXACT same player...and used this old thread when I started the repair.

Things are going great, I just wanted to add a little to it...

I actually take a FINE sanding block to the crack to kind of even out any slightly raised parts/slivers prior to "coloring". My experiences have led me to believe that using the Sharpie method does not work as well on LS M9 finishes...the ebony wood filler seems to be the best bet.

Thanks Jeff!