PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Cardinals flannel on eBay

Birdbats
06-10-2008, 11:48 AM
There's a jersey currently on the Bay advertised as a 1945-51 Cardinals gamer. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220243085481&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012

I contacted the seller shortly after it was listed to let him know:

a) The jersey dates to 1949-50; '49 was the first year the birds' tails dropped below the bat; and '50 was the last season the bat was black, not yellow;

b) Pro jerseys those two seasons had zipper fronts.

c) Pro jerseys of that era would have chain stitching in the tail noting the player and the year.

d) Minor league jerseys during those years often looked like the pro jerseys except they had buttons instead of zippers (it was cheaper) and no chain stitching.

e) The jersey being offered almost surely is a minor league shirt, possibly from the Omaha Cardinals, one of the teams' many minor league affiliates (several of which were called "Cardinals").

f) I had all of this confirmed by a team representative who viewed the listing. The team owns an almost identical minor league jersey.

After several days, I have not received acknowledgment from the seller regarding this information, nor has the listing been changed in any way.

If you're bidding on this jersey, thought you'd want to know.