PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys buy stuff site unseen?

Jags Fan Dan
06-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Just wondering if anyone buys game used bats site unseen. The reason I ask is that I recently emailed someone who sells game used bats on their web site for availability and photos of a couple of bats and never got a response. There are no photos on this web site, just very vague descriptions of the bats. I also read a post here that stated that a certain dealer only responds to emails that are orders. I am just asking, am I expected to order the bat site unseen? I only sent one email and got no response, so it is not like I pushed the issue. Just wondering what you folks are doing. Areyou guys and gals buying site unseen? If so, from which sellers do you buy items without seeing pics?

Sheffield11
06-13-2008, 08:38 AM
It really depends who the dealer/seller of the bat is. For example i have bought bats from steiner without pics and they all have turned out great, but that is steiner so i know they are good and far too busy to take pics for one person.

suave1477
06-13-2008, 10:46 AM
I agree with Sheffield, unless the seller is a reputable dealer such as Steiner then I would never buy a bat or any other item sight unseen.

Just to give an example Jim Carravello who is a member of this forum I feel is a very reputable bat collector/seller I bought a bt a few months back from sight unseen just because I knew it was coming from him.

But normally I would never.

MSpecht
06-13-2008, 12:26 PM
In the case of H & B pats in particular, I have little or no problem buying a bat with a minimum description of game use, numbers on knob, etc as long as the model number, length, weight, and finish match the player's orders for the specific labeling labeling period. I recently bought 5 or 6 bats in that manner from a long-time company and the bats were even better than described. I can name 5 or 6 individuals and dealers who take extra care not to over-grade (or describe) their items and as a result the items are frequently better than expected. Of course, I would want additional details if it was a superstar or HOF bat --- general rule of thumb is more money = more caution.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

metsbats
06-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Back in the old days (I'm sure Mike S. can attest to this) buying sight unseen was the only way to buy. Bat dealers in SCD like BPH, Zane Burns, John Taube, and CNI had descriptions and had large inventories and limited ad space to put photos. Some of the premium items or if they had special ads which featured limited premium items you may see photos.

These dealers were and still are great in describing the items over the phone and I never experienced any issues.

Now with the advent of the digit camera I typically try to get photos on items as almost everyone has the capability to send a digital photo.

David