Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jetersbatboy
    • Jun 2008

Zanebats

Over the last couple of weeks i noticed this name came up very often, and its making me very skeptical about purchasing things from him. he now has what appears to be a very nice arod bat up for sale, but from the photos it looks like there is not that much use to it, i was wondering if you guy as forum feel this is a safe product to purchase?

ILOVENEWYORK!!!!
  • Sheffield11
    • Mar 2006

Re: Zanebats

Even if this bat is real, which i dont believe it is. i would not pay anywhere near $2000 for it. you could probably find a signed bat with a proper MVP LOA for not too much more.
    Anthony Bragg

Comment

• SkubeBats
      Banned
      • May 2006

If you ask me it looks like there is a number on the knob something like -4 I can't make out the first number though it isn't 13 that for sure. What do you think?
      Thanks,
      Jamie

Comment

• Sheffield11
        • Mar 2006

Pretty sure it says 31.4 as in ounces. which is a pretty common number, doesnt add or subtract anything for me, i still dont trust it and wouldnt pay half that for it.
        Anthony Bragg

Comment

• suave1477
          Banned
          • Jan 2006

Just in my personal opinion I stick with MVP when it comes to AROD stuff

Comment

• ballofbases@hotmail.com
            Banned
            • Jan 2006

Looks like a 24 to me. Maybe a Cano gamer??? Any pics of him using any of Arod's bats?

Michael
            Ballofbases@Hotmail.com

Comment

• BMH
              • Jul 2007

Nope, that is 31.4oz...I ought to know since it's my hand writing

We weigh off and mark every bat for several players. Arod is one of the one we do it for.
              Brian Hillerich

Comment

• jetersbatboy
                • Jun 2008

The price is a high and I have seen others for less. But I was really looking for a LS Arod gamer, I did see the PSA Arod gamer on ebay now is a nice bat to but I have a feeling it going to sell for a lot more.
                as for the authenticity part that is a real seem to be a big question for everyone so I'll stay away
                thanks Scott

Comment

• jetersbatboy
                  • Jun 2008

i was told, don't drink and drive. But i guess its not good to drink and type either

Comment

• mdube16
                    • Jun 2007

BMH saying that is his handwriting would go a long way to saying that bat is authentic for me. If you think the price is too high then thats a different story.

Comment

• Sheffield11
                      • Mar 2006

Just because its BHM's writing doesnt mean anything, there are plenty of Arod issued bats out there.
                      Anthony Bragg

Comment

• MSpecht
                        • Oct 2005

Wow-- pretty tough crowd here.

Remember, it was only about 10 years ago that no records were available for any H & B professional model bats except for the occasional phone call to Rex Bradley. Prior to that time, what did collectors do in order to "make sure" of an item's authenticity? Here is the way it was stated in early LOAs (this statement is a slight revision from the original early pre-1990 Michael Montbriand LOAs):

"It is rare to have actually seen a player use the specific bat one is acquiring for his or her collection. The best to hope for, in most instances, is to acquire a player's professional model bat made during his playing career, with proper labeling for the period, which has close specifications to those which the player is known or believed to have used, and which shows evidence of game use, with the presence of individual game use characteristics common to the player, if known."

With this Arod bat, a huge first step has been taken with Brian confirming that it is a bat that was sent directly to Rodriguez for his professional use, and includes a specificly-requested (by Arod) weight notation that was applied at H & B by Brian himself. That immediately takes this bat out of the realm of anything other that a professional model bat (such as a promo bat, presentation bat, signing bat, show bat, whatever) that obviously matches Rodriguez' personal H & B factory records and was shipped to him.

Beyond that, the collector must decide for himself the value of adding this bat to his collection, based on the 20-year-old standards cited above that, in the absence of seeing a player use a specific bat, have stood the test of time.

Just to throw my two cents in about Zane Burns -- we have known each other for many years, have bought bats from, and sold bats to, each other, and have on occasion corrected one another's error on a bat. Our first transaction dates back from at least 15 years or so, to as recently as two months ago. I have never had cause to question his integrity, or his willingness to 'make things right' if an error has been made.

For those interested in a more in-depth look at the historical aspect of collecting game used bats, here's a link:

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Comment

• Rob L
                          • Nov 2005

What's with all the Zane bashing lately? The guy is top notch all the way.
                          Rob L
                          loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Comment

• Tedw9
                            • Jul 2007

I can't speak from a game used standpoint, but he had listed a couple of times a World Series black bat that I had wanted for some time. His buy it now price was $100 higher that his starting bid. When I had saved up enough to meet the opening price, I sent him a message through Ebay asking when he was listing it again, that I would be bidding the opening amount.

He replied back to me within an hour and included a link to the bat listed, at a Buy It Now price $100 lower than he had been listing it, so I could buy it at that price.

I got a very quick reply, what I felt was a fair price, he went out of his way to list it just for me, and shipped it quickly and for a fair cost. I now always look at his auctions, I liked the service I got and the price I paid. But that is just my experience with him.

Comment

• brianborsch
                              • Dec 2005

I have had nothing but great dealings with him!

Comment

Working...