PDA

View Full Version : Craig Biggio Game Use Characteristics

eGameUsed
06-15-2008, 06:32 PM
All,

I have received 9 questions over the last couple of days regarding Craig Biggio use characteristics. Here are some useful tips to help make a good buying decision. I have broken them down in three categories. If you ever have any questions regarding Biggio or any other Astros item, please feel free to e-mail me at eGameUsed@comcast.net. Here are the categories:

Pine Tar

The Astros use a unique pine tar that is not as wet as some tars. The tar dries quickly, yet remains tacky. Believe it or not, it has a unique odor that is pretty distinguishable. Craig has had some interesting habits throughout the years, and unfortunately has changed a bit. From the late 1990s to 2003, Craig loaded the tar on the bats, to the point it caked on. In early 2004, around the time of the "Select Maple" era, he took a less-is-better approach. Then, in late 2004 around the time of the M9, he started to layer it on again. See the photos below.

In this photo, the bats from top to bottom are Mid-2003 Maple, Early 2004 "Select Maple," Late 2004 M9, 2005 M9, and 2006 M9.

As you can see, the tar went from heavy in 2003, to very light in early 2004, then to moderate. Biggio never clumped on a thick coat of tar in one location, but it accumulated over time. Here are pics of Biggio in the same eras:

2003 Heavy Tar

2004 Light to no tar

2005 Moderate Tar

So, as you can tell, even though he changed in the era, it is obvious to tell a proper Biggio application:

Knobs

Biggio ordered model H176 bats from Louisville Slugger exclusively since the early 1990s. He preferred the taped knob. In addition, Biggio kept a tool in the clubhouse to further taper the knob. I have never seen a legitimate Biggio bat without a modified knob. Attached are pictures of Biggio bats from 2004 "Select Maple" and 2005 M9 eras compared with a Game Issued 2005 World Series bat. As you can see, the knob has been altered from it's original state.

And finally,

Tape

Biggio tape is pretty obvious. He uses a special and it always spirals up in the same direction. See photos above. Also, the tape always begin to carry a light to medium brown color as the tar and dirt get ground in. I have seen a few bats offered with a dark to black color on the tape. Craig has always used white leather batting gloves, so the tape never picks up the color of black or other color gloves. In general, the upper part (12 to 14 inches up) of tape will look pretty clean or with a lot less use. The extent of tape application is very consistent from year to year, but it will change between years. In general, it should be no less than 12 inches and no more than 14 inches.

I hope this helps for anyone that was interested. Be careful for Biggio bats. There have been a significant number of game issued and signed bats available for sale. In fact, I have seen a couple of "Select Maples" and one M9 available withing the last few months. Biggio bats are one of the toughest to come by in the modern era. If you have any other questions, please let me know!

Thanks,

SkubeBats
06-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Chris,
I was wondering what your thoughts are on this Biggio bat on ebay. Here is the item number (110262030241).
Thanks,
Jamie
jlschultz180@wi.rr.com

frikativ54
06-16-2008, 01:15 AM
Auction in question:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CRAIG-BIGGIO-GAME-USED-UNCRACKED-AUTO-H176-LVS-BAT_W0QQitemZ110262030241QQihZ001QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As for this seller, manica71, he has been discussed on these boards before. I would recommend staying as far away from him as possible. Here are some threads dealing with him:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=13638&highlight=manica71

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=11436

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=15385&page=2&highlight=manica71

Here is a letter from a GUU member who has had a poor interaction with manica71:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 01-23-2008, 09:08 PM
nate (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/member.php?u=583) http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_69197", true);

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/icons/icon13.gif Re: Robin Yount glove on eBay...what do you guys think?
Not that I like saying bad things about sellers on ebay. But this one takes the cake.

The other week I questioned the Winfield bat I won. He emailed back saying he knew it didn't match factory records and if I didn't want to proceed with the transaction it was fine by him. So I took him up on the offer. After that it went downhill and fast. Yesterday he sent an email that basically told me to go screw. I then received an unpaid item strike, which has since been removed by ebay. Tonight he started sending threats and ridiculous emails. Here is one of his three emails, which I censored, sent through ebay. I chose this one because the others would have taking a week to censor. He obviously didn't like the fact I questioned his item and decided to write about my Lajoie bat. Which makes no sense because I posted an answer from a different ebayer about the letter in the listing. The "Fleabayers" made me laugh. Here is the email:

Dear nleet,

NO COA WITH THIS YOU F***** STROKE,BUT YOUR DECEIVING EBAYERS OR FLEABAYERS LIKE YOURSELF BY PUTTING THE LETTER IN YOUR AUCTION WHEN THEYARE NOT GETTING IT. WHY DON'T YOU DISCLOSE IN THE AUCTION DETAILS THAT THEYARE NOT GETTING LETTER PERIOD TRYING TO GET SOMEONE WHO WILL NOT PICK UP ONTHAT!!!! TRY NOT TO GET ANY C** STAINS ON ANY OF YOUR FACTORY MATCHED
BATS!!!!!!!!

-manica71

Stay away!

eGameUsed
06-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Chris,
I was wondering what your thoughts are on this Biggio bat on ebay. Here is the item number (110262030241).
Thanks,
Jamie
jlschultz180@wi.rr.com

Jamie,

Please e-mail me privately regarding this bat. The seller threatened to sue me if I post anything negative about his bat.

Frik,

You should see some of the e-mails I received when I asked some questions on the bat. I personally will be staying away from this seller!

Thanks,

frikativ54
06-17-2008, 04:16 AM
Jamie,

Please e-mail me privately regarding this bat. The seller threatened to sue me if I post anything negative about his bat.

Frik,

You should see some of the e-mails I received when I asked some questions on the bat. I personally will be staying away from this seller!

Thanks,

Sue you? Are you kidding me? You are the one who is providing the factual information about Biggio bats, and he is the one who is potentially being deceitful. This guy is the one who is selling a questionable product. I tell you, he was nice on the phone to me, but it seems as if the same issues keep happening over and over with this guy. Stay away!

SkubeBats
06-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Chris,
I sent you an email yesterday regarding the Biggio bat on ebay. Hope to hear back from you soon.
Thanks,
Jamie

eGameUsed
06-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Jamie,

Sorry. I had a lite night at work last night and did very little once I got home. I promise a reply with some insightful information tonight.

Thanks,

SkubeBats
06-19-2008, 04:25 PM
Chris,
I sent you that email the other day and never heard back from you. When you have some time I would like to hear what you have to say about the Biggio bat.
Thanks
Jamie

frikativ54
06-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Chris,
I sent you that email the other day and never heard back from you. When you have some time I would like to hear what you have to say about the Biggio bat.
Thanks
Jamie

Me too. Let us both know when you have a chance, Chris. What is even scarier is that this bat is at $860, with three hours left to go. :eek: If this bat is indeed fake, then I think we should notify the high bidder.

-Frik

loumud
06-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Me too. Let us both know when you have a chance, Chris. What is even scarier is that this bat is at $860, with three hours left to go. :eek: If this bat is indeed fake, then I think we should notify the high bidder.

-Frik

Frik,

I've owned a few authentic Biggio gamers in the past (purchased through Chris Boyd) so I'm fairly familiary with the characteristics. One thing that jumps out at me is the pine tar scheme on the bat. it almost looks like a dark lacquer was applied to it instead of Biggio's normal pine tar application. Though the auto looks genuine, I would refrain from bidding on this one. Something just doesn't seem right about it...

frikativ54
06-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Frik,

I've owned a few authentic Biggio gamers in the past (purchased through Chris Boyd) so I'm fairly familiary with the characteristics. One thing that jumps out at me is the pine tar scheme on the bat. it almost looks like a dark lacquer was applied to it instead of Biggio's normal pine tar application. Though the auto looks genuine, I would refrain from bidding on this one. Something just doesn't seem right about it...

Thanks for your opinion on this one. My Biggio collection consists of a BGS 10 1989 UD Rookie card and a baseball that he and some other Astros signed for me, so I'm not a big collector by any means. I am just concerned because this guy seems like he's selling fraudulent goods. I want to protect people from that, and not allow misrepresented goods into the marketplace. One thing about the Biggio auto; his signature is pretty easy to forge. And given that he does not willingly sign his own bats, I would doubt that he signed an obvious fake such as this bat.