PDA

View Full Version : Chipper Jones eBay jersey offered by CSI

kylehess10
06-16-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm confused by the strip tagging on the Chipper Jones jersey on eBay offered by California Sports Investments. The strip tag is completely different than the strip tags sewn onto Braves jerseys. The lettering/numbering (on the tag) is different, as is the width and height of the tag. Anybody ever seen another like this before?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chipper-Jones-Atlanta-Braves-Game-Worn-Used-Jersey-2005_W0QQitemZ180252465573QQihZ008QQcategoryZ60597 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's the tag in the auction:

http://www.californiasportsinv.com/images/1699309795484eb49e8b9de.JPG

Here's a normal Atlanta Braves strip tag:

http://i2.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/ed/ca/3b0d_1_sbl.JPG

whatupyos
06-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Kyle,

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Aaron

hblakewolf
06-16-2008, 09:44 AM
In order to compare tagging, let's find a few Braves jerseys from 2005, not 2006, to compare this to. Although the tagging does indeed look odd, is it possible that Majestic used this style of embroidery and tag size for other 2005 Braves shirts, too?????

A great example of tagging variation relates to the 1984 Phillies knits. It's the only year from 1978-1986 that the set of the jersey was not included next to the year. I've seen a handful of 1984 homes and roads with just 84 embroidered on the tag. Other 1984 jerseys have both the year and set, i.e., 84 1

Is it possible a similar variation in style/size took place with these 2005 Braves jerseys?

Let's compare apples to apples.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

cohibasmoker
06-16-2008, 11:18 AM
In order to compare tagging, let's find a few Braves jerseys from 2005, not 2006, to compare this to. Although the tagging does indeed look odd, is it possible that Majestic used this style of embroidery and tag size for other 2005 Braves shirts, too?????

A great example of tagging variation relates to the 1984 Phillies knits. It's the only year from 1978-1986 that the set of the jersey was not included next to the year. I've seen a handful of 1984 homes and roads with just 84 embroidered on the tag. Other 1984 jerseys have both the year and set, i.e., 84 1

Is it possible a similar variation in style/size took place with these 2005 Braves jerseys?

Let's compare apples to apples.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

I found three 2005 Braves jersey and have attached the scans. The jerseys were Chipper Jones (white) and Julio Franco (red). Both jerseys were from 2005 BUT they were different styles of jerseys.
You guys decide:

whatupyos
06-16-2008, 01:58 PM
There was a Chipper 2005 game used offered one week ago. I bit but was at a WWE wrestling event and couldn't watch to see if I was outbid. The Chipper that I lost out on had documentation from the team and the tag looked like the one Kyle referenced and the other poster as well referenced. Yes, it is possible the one currently offered is good, but I've never seen a strip tag look like the one currently offered.

Aaron

hiramman
06-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole.

kylehess10
06-18-2008, 06:06 AM
I just realized something which would make it certain that this is just a retail jersey with a home-made tag. I circled in the picture below the size tag being shown just a tiny bit. It is sewn underneath the strip tag. I'm pretty sure that all Braves jerseys have the size tag sewn into the side of the jersey.

whatupyos
06-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Kyle,

Splendid work my friend. I forgot to point that out as well. Plus, when I asked the seller of the 2005 Set 1 jersey I lost out on on ebay, he said his was from the team and the size tag was inside like you referenced, next to the 0062 code tag. Plus, if it doesn't come from the team from 2005-present, I wouldn't touch it. I dont know when the Braves started using their LOA's but it was around 2004 or 2005 that I've noticed, so Kyle, maybe you can shed some light on this?

Aaron

whatupyos
06-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Kyle,

Splendid work my friend. I forgot to point that out as well. Plus, when I asked the seller of the 2005 Set 1 jersey I lost out on on ebay, he said his was from the team and the size tag was inside like you referenced, next to the 0062 code tag. Plus, if it doesn't come from the team from 2005-present, I wouldn't touch it. I dont know when the Braves started using their LOA's but it was around 2004 or 2005 that I've noticed, so Kyle, maybe you can shed some light on this?

Aaron

whatupyos
06-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Sorry about the double post...my computer froze and I didn't think it went through...my bad.

Aaron

hiramman
06-18-2008, 10:46 PM
I'm not sure exactly when they started using the LOA's, but you can purchase game-used directly from the Braves and not get a LOA. If you purchase game-used from their Clubhouse Store (which get their game-used straight from the team) you will not receive a LOA. Also I know last year at one of the charity events, they had many game-used bats. Only the actual game-used bats came with LOA's, BP-used bats did not come with letters.

whatupyos
06-18-2008, 11:48 PM
That's right, I think I remember you stating that before in a post. I just feel more comfortable with a big purchase such as a jersey to have an LOA with it...make me feel more secure, thats all.

jdhbraves
07-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Gents, this is my first post and you all have an excellent thread going here. For the sake of clarification on Braves COA's, the first COA's that the braves issued was back in 1997. The jerseys that I remember were home jerseys all with the Jackie patch, proper tagging etc and on the COA was the actual date of the game. I had an Andruw Jones and a chipper jones. The jerseys, if I recall were listed in Sports Collectors digest. MAS auction had a few if my memory holds. They coa's were the same size, format etc as the recent ones. They did this in 1999 too with the coa's having exact game details printed on them. Just fyi. Regards to all.:)