PDA

View Full Version : Mets jersey signing opinions wanted

sylbry
06-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Getting this jersey signed this weekend. Looking for opinions from the Mets jersey collectors out there as to what color pen/marker looks best and what location. The front of the jersey is unwashed and still has dirt staining from a subsequent stolen base.

nomarmauerfan
06-16-2008, 01:01 PM
Ah, you must be going to the Twins Auto. Party. My son and I will be in Morneau's line trying to get Justin's 2007 GU bat and his River Bandits GU minor league jersey signed. I would get it on the number and use a silver deco. paint pen. You can get them at Michael's for around $5.00. I used one to have Don Mattingly sign his Game-Issue jersey and it came out great. Best of luck and I look forward to seeing it after you get it signed. But, beware, Gomez has the worst autograph EVER.

Mike

TNTtoys
06-16-2008, 01:22 PM
I concur with Mike - a silver paint pen on the number looks nice.

I have a team signed white Mets jersey, where the white part of the jersey was done in blue sharpie. The sharpie has bled tremendously.

sylbry
06-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Ah, you must be going to the Twins Auto. Party. My son and I will be in Morneau's line trying to get Justin's 2007 GU bat and his River Bandits GU minor league jersey signed. I would get it on the number and use a silver deco. paint pen. You can get them at Michael's for around $5.00. I used one to have Don Mattingly sign his Game-Issue jersey and it came out great. Best of luck and I look forward to seeing it after you get it signed. But, beware, Gomez has the worst autograph EVER.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I had Gomez sign a game used ball earlier this year. After he handed it back to me I looked at it and thought to myself "that's it?"

Bryan

nomarmauerfan
06-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Brian,
Hahaha...I almost had to ask him which way the ball was supposed to go into the holder when my son got him in Ft. Myers. I heard that the advance forecast is calling for T-storms...hopefully, they'll be wrong. My 7-year old son and I are going to try and get there around 7:30am (his doing). We're gonna hit up Morneau for the items I already listed, then to Brendan Harris' line for him to sign a GU bat (my 5-year old daughter's favorite). Good luck and if you see someone carrying Morneau and Harris' GU bats around in bat tubes walking with a 7-year old, please stop me and say hello.

Mike

Neely8
06-17-2008, 08:07 AM
I'll never understand the fascination with getting game worn jerseys signed when there is so much other stuff you can get autographed. I prefer my game worn jerseys unsigned (at least on the outside) because they were not worn on the field/ice with autographs.

sylbry
06-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Hi Mike,

Could you email me. Got a question for you.

Bryan

sylbry314@yahoo.com

skyking26
06-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Getting this jersey signed this weekend. Looking for opinions from the Mets jersey collectors out there as to what color pen/marker looks best and what location. The front of the jersey is unwashed and still has dirt staining from a subsequent stolen base.
You could have him sign in silver up the 7 on the back, or blue or black sharpie under the number...

skyking26
06-19-2008, 11:24 AM
I'll never understand the fascination with getting game worn jerseys signed when there is so much other stuff you can get autographed. I prefer my game worn jerseys unsigned (at least on the outside) because they were not worn on the field/ice with autographs.
It's a personal preference thing Neely, like so many things in the hobby. I have been in this 30 + years now, always get my equipment signed. I look at it as the piece has been "retired" from play, is now in my possesion and I like to get it signed and display it that way.

Back in the day I always had my jerseys signed in sharpie on the jersey itself. While I never have had a bleeding problem, I will have to admit that the current fascination of getting numbers signed in the silver deco pen is not a bad idea and quite attractive - and I will likely go that route in the future. This is particular to say a Mets jersey that has the stripes where a signature gets caught up in that busy atmosphere...

RK