PDA

View Full Version : Roberto Clemente Pittsburgh Pirates warm up jacket in Hunt All-Star Auction

The Lumber Company
06-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Hello. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the Roberto Clemente jacket being offered up by Hunt auctions for the 2008 MLB® Live Auction at DHL All-Star FanFest®?

It seems like a pretty cool piece but the $20,000-$30,000 estimate seems a little steep for a jacket? Does anyone have any other info relative to this type of item? I am looking for a museum quality Clemente piece and this one had me intrigued.

Regards,
Marty
thelumbercompany

Description: Rare Roberto Clemente Pittsburgh Pirates warm up jacket c.1961-67. Original black wool warm up jacket with white leather sleeves and yellow striped elastic cuffs, waistband, and collar. Original chenille "P" appears on the left breast area with MacGregor size 46 tagging remaining affixed to the interior lining. Original white leather strip remains inside the collar area with its metal link hang chain intact. Vintage "21" written on the white leather strip denoting Clemente's uniform number is consistent with other documented "21" numbers written by Clemente on bats and uniform pieces. The jacket shows evident use including some light surface pilling to the wool body and minimal age toning/surface crazing to the white leather sleeves. The offered Roberto Clemente game worn warm up jacket is one of only a handful of surviving exemplars. It originated directly from the personal collection of the Clemente family and was traded some time ago by the family for another Clemente related object. The jacket includes a detailed letter of provenance from the Clemente family signed by both Vera Clemente and Luis Clemente certifying its origination from the family collection. Exceptional game used Clemente article with ironclad provenance from the Clemente family. Includes LOA from Hunt Auctions, LOA from SCD Authentic-David Bushing, and letter of provenance from the Clemente family: EX-MT