PDA

View Full Version : Watch out New Yorkers here comes Kyle Hess!!

kylehess10
06-19-2008, 12:38 AM
Well I'll be in New York from July 2nd - 23rd. I'll be at the following games:

Yankees/Red Sox July 4th

Yankees/Rays July 8th

Mets/Giants July 9th

All Star Fanfest July 11th

If anybody has a spare Homerun Derby and/or All Star Game ticket that they don't want, please let me know :D I tried my best to get a ticket but I'm REALLY broke. I'm spending most of my money on the train/subway rides.

Also does anybody know if anything is going on outside of the stadium during the All Star Game? I don't wanna be stuck on Long Island while everything is goin on during the All Star Game so I wanna be in the city that night. Does New York have a Sidelines or someplace that I can go to?

suave1477
06-19-2008, 12:52 AM
Kyle I am from New York City and I can't imagine too much going on from the norm other then places are gonna be more packed then usual. I am not sure what sidlines is, never heard of that in New York.

What specifically are you looking for?

I do know that day or the day before they are going to be doing an All Star Game parade with a bunch of Hall of Famers in Midtown of NYC.

kylehess10
06-19-2008, 01:15 AM
Kyle I am from New York City and I can't imagine too much going on from the norm other then places are gonna be more packed then usual. I am not sure what sidlines is, never heard of that in New York.

What specifically are you looking for?

I do know that day or the day before they are going to be doing an All Star Game parade with a bunch of Hall of Famers in Midtown of NYC.

Sidelines is a sports bar. I'm just looking for a good place to be during the game in the city

Swoboda4
06-19-2008, 01:28 AM
I wouldn't venture a block or two away in any direction from the stadium. I work around there and there's absolutely nothing to do but get off the subway,get a beer at the Yankee Tavern,Stan's or the old Unity Diner,see the game and follow the crowd back on the subway or get on the highway to points home. It still is the South Bronx no matter how you cut it. There are a lot of cops,as long as you stay put. And again there's nothing around there anyway except the new stadium across the street. DON'T buy scalper tickets from people on the street, especially then,there will be a big initiative to arrest the seller and buyer that whole time. Go to Stub Hub on the east side of the Grand Concourse(around 165th St)to buy tickets which will be very expensive. Shea is the same thing only safer. So hit the Javits Center in Manhattan for activities throughout the all star set. God be with you my son.
http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-16265906.jpg?size=67&uid={2f327717-0989-4e63-90a0-9c3820db7a94}
100 yards from the Stadium Willis Avenue bridge staircase.

whatupyos
06-19-2008, 01:40 AM
I'm going to be in NY as well, July 19-20th. A's vs. Yankees...Can any people from NY tell me what's the best way to get to the game? Is it the Subway? I hear there is a special one that jets you straight to the game. I believe my hotel is near Grand Central Station. Also, the other #1 thing I want to do, besides hit Yankee Stadium is go see Lady Liberty. Can someone help me out and let me know how I can do this...i.e. is there a ferry that leaves every so often to tour it, and when is the hours of operation. Never been to NY so I'm excited to see the ballpark, and also see a little bit of the city while I'm there.

Thanks.
Aaron
sundevil2126628@hotmail.com

kylehess10
06-19-2008, 02:29 AM
[quote=Swoboda4;87949]DON'T buy scalper tickets from people on the street, especially then,there will be a big initiative to arrest the seller and buyer that whole time. Go to Stub Hub on the east side of the Grand Concourse(around 165th St)to buy tickets which will be very expensive. Shea is the same thing only safer. [quote]

I actually already got the tickets....they were REALLY cheap too. $54 for the Yanks/Sox (upper reserve), $10 for Yanks/Rays (bleacher), and $18 for Mets/Giants (lower level loge reserved)

kylehess10
06-19-2008, 08:44 AM
I'm going to be in NY as well, July 19-20th. A's vs. Yankees...Can any people from NY tell me what's the best way to get to the game? Is it the Subway? I hear there is a special one that jets you straight to the game. I believe my hotel is near Grand Central Station. Also, the other #1 thing I want to do, besides hit Yankee Stadium is go see Lady Liberty. Can someone help me out and let me know how I can do this...i.e. is there a ferry that leaves every so often to tour it, and when is the hours of operation. Never been to NY so I'm excited to see the ballpark, and also see a little bit of the city while I'm there.

Thanks.
Aaron
sundevil2126628@hotmail.com

Ferry Fee:

$12.00 - Ages 13+ - Day
$10.00- Seniors 62 and over - Day
$5.00- Children 4-12. - Day

Ferry leaves throughout the day from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m

Also for everyone else who will be in the city.....the All-Star Game Red Carpet Parade will begin at Bryant Park at 1:00 PM on July 15th

Vintagedeputy
06-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Dont:

- stop on the sidewalk and look up at the tall buildings - muggers will pick you out as being a tourist.

- openly carry any kind of map, same reason. If you need to reference a map, do it while sitting and eating or keep it out of sight.

- acknowledge anyone who tries to sell you something while walking down the street. Everyone from crack dealers to cheap sunglasses peddlers will try to get you to stop. Just walk on by and dont make eye contact.

- stop at anyplace with a foofy name if you want a real slice of NY pizza. Places with names like "a taste of Italy" or something are usually trendy places that have lousy pizza. Looks for a pizza place that's called "Luigi's, Mario's or Tony's". Trust me on this one.

Do:

- stop by a real Italian bakery and sample the wares. You can usually find a good Italian bakery a few doors down from a good pizza place.

- find a Sabrett hot dog cart and get yourself a "dirty water dog". Dont look into the cart where the hotdogs are cooked, otherwise you wont buy it, but trust me, just get 2 and enjoy!

- get a nice steamy hot extra salty pretzel from outside the stadium.

- enjoy the colors of Yankee Stadium. The grass is a colro green that you've never seen before, the blue stadium walls and the white facade make you glad to have good eyesight.

- make sure you visit the monuments in the outfield. Dont miss that.

- get there early enough to watch the players coming in from the fenced in parking lot to the stadium. Its fun to see what they drive and then they walk between the baricades to the stadium. If you're lucky, you may score an autograph.

Jim

platinum1
06-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Get ready to go to the Dirties City in the World. Even the rats try to Mug you in NY. There's alot of Cool stuff to do in NY but people are rude. Make sure you pick up a Map in the Airport and study it before you go anywhere. Kyle you should hit up the new sports museum and if your looking for bootleg items that would make any lady happy go to Chinatown. They have everyting.

suave1477
06-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Dont:

- stop on the sidewalk and look up at the tall buildings - muggers will pick you out as being a tourist.

- openly carry any kind of map, same reason. If you need to reference a map, do it while sitting and eating or keep it out of sight.

- acknowledge anyone who tries to sell you something while walking down the street. Everyone from crack dealers to cheap sunglasses peddlers will try to get you to stop. Just walk on by and dont make eye contact.

- stop at anyplace with a foofy name if you want a real slice of NY pizza. Places with names like "a taste of Italy" or something are usually trendy places that have lousy pizza. Looks for a pizza place that's called "Luigi's, Mario's or Tony's". Trust me on this one.

Do:

- stop by a real Italian bakery and sample the wares. You can usually find a good Italian bakery a few doors down from a good pizza place.

- find a Sabrett hot dog cart and get yourself a "dirty water dog". Dont look into the cart where the hotdogs are cooked, otherwise you wont buy it, but trust me, just get 2 and enjoy!

- get a nice steamy hot extra salty pretzel from outside the stadium.

- enjoy the colors of Yankee Stadium. The grass is a colro green that you've never seen before, the blue stadium walls and the white facade make you glad to have good eyesight.

- make sure you visit the monuments in the outfield. Dont miss that.

- get there early enough to watch the players coming in from the fenced in parking lot to the stadium. Its fun to see what they drive and then they walk between the baricades to the stadium. If you're lucky, you may score an autograph.

Jim

Wow I couldnt of said this any better myself, except for the Hotdogs, You have to go to Grays Papaya in the Villiage they have the most famous hot dogs in New York City and the cheapest.
They have what is called a recession special - 2 hot dogs and a large orange or pineapple drink for $2.50

suave1477
06-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Kyle if you want to go somewhere to wacth the game I highly suggest espn zone since your not going to go inside the actual stadium.

ESPN ZONE IS LOCATED IN TIMES SQUARE

joelsabi
06-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Dont:

-

Jim

Great Advice.

joelsabi
06-19-2008, 10:18 AM
if you have a grip of people with you and you want a nice meal on the cheap go to Joe's Shanghai Restaurant in chinatown. treat yourself to the soup dumpling there. its the bomb.

kylehess10
06-19-2008, 11:40 AM
Kyle if you want to go somewhere to wacth the game I highly suggest espn zone since your not going to go inside the actual stadium.

ESPN ZONE IS LOCATED IN TIMES SQUARE

ahhhh never thought about that! There's a good place

As for the tips everyone is giving me, I pretty much already knew about all of them, since I'm from New York and I've been to the city several times before. When I was little though I was a little dumb....I would stop in the middle of the street, whip out my video camera, digital camera, etc. and start recordin like a little tourist :D

I do have a map, and I won't really be too worried about muggers, since I'm probably going to put all of my money in my debit card so I don't have to worry losing my cash.

Nathan
06-19-2008, 03:56 PM
Hey Kyle, why not come down to the MeiGray Expo in Somerville, NJ on July 12? I'll be around and will be visiting an old friend in NYC that night. If nothing else, this will give you something great to do during the day.

Tedw9
06-19-2008, 04:15 PM
Kyle,

I'll be there during that week too. I am going to Fanfest on Saturday and spending a few days with my family after.

As far as the tips go, all I can say is WOW. I was there a year or two ago, with my camera and had a blast. Everyone was friendly, and I had great pizza at Krispy Pizza which is on 7th Ave. I did not do as the others have said, I just went and was myself. I don't want to go and be worried, I want to have a good time. This time I will have my teenage daughter with me for her first trip to the big city along with a few other family members. But we have our trip planned out so I think we will be fairly safe.

I hope you have a blast, I know I plan on it. :D

ham1963
06-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Hey Kyle
shoot me an e-mail I have an business opp. for you while in NY.
John Ham1963
baseball3000@bellsouth.net

kylehess10
06-19-2008, 11:09 PM
Nathan - I'd go but I have no way of gettin there. But anyways I can't go either way cuz I just figured out I'm going to the All Star Fanfest on the 12th instead of the 11th due to me finding a ticket for half off on the 12th than the 11th.

ham1963 - e-mail sent

EVERYONE ELSE - For those who will be in the city at the time, I'll be at the ESPN Zone for the All Star Game, and maybe the day before too for the Homerun Derby, so be on the lookout for me!

suave1477
06-20-2008, 08:27 AM
Hey Kyle I will keep an eye out for you at the fanfest as I will be there but ill be at the stadium for the futures game celebrity softball game and the home run cerby.

Nut sure yet about the all star game.