PDA

View Full Version : Pretty rare piece of history is up on eBay right now

kylehess10
06-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Probably worth a million bucks:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250261605274&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123

schubert1970
06-20-2008, 07:10 PM
You should have set a reserve.......
;)

suave1477
06-20-2008, 07:18 PM
The autograph is fake and Kylehess hasnt played since 2006 I know the guy he told me himself lol lol
I would be very suspicious of this bat lol lol:D :D

AWA85
06-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Auto looks thick, does not match up with my other signed items of his. I would stay away from this one guys. :D

kylehess10
06-20-2008, 07:25 PM
The autograph is fake and Kylehess hasnt played since 2006 I know the guy he told me himself lol lol
I would be very suspicious of this bat lol lol:D :D

The LOA comes directly from him. And yes he has been playing this year for practice for the minor league tryouts. It's 100% authentic just ask Lou Lampson

schubert1970
06-20-2008, 11:50 PM
Can we get a photo match?

kylehess10
06-21-2008, 01:15 AM
Can we get a photo match?

It's a perfect match:

wahboom22
06-21-2008, 02:38 AM
Kyle,

the bat shows a ton of use. im alittle concerned about the size of the hitting area used. i think you need to work on grouping the ball and making sure that your hitting the ball with the sweet spot of the bat! :) You show great concentration in the photo match, impressive!

after saying that......i still may bid....have fun at AllStar weekend!

yanks12025
06-21-2008, 06:46 AM
I like where the money is going to.

yanks12025
06-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Kyle,
I forgot to ask something. If i pay alittle extra is there anyway for me to get a kyle Hess game used shower saddle and also have it autographed.

Have a good trip to the city, i would say also take a trip down to the World Trade Center site, i went last month. Theres also a pizza place right down the block which had GREAT food.

dcrules01
06-21-2008, 08:29 AM
You never cease to amaze me ..Just when I think I have seen everything you go ahead and out do yourself again :D

dcrules01
06-21-2008, 08:31 AM
I got excited I thought you were selling this :D

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/gameused/abbottbat1.jpg

markize
06-21-2008, 10:00 AM
well, if it's good enough for lou lampson, it has to be good enough for me!!

kylehess10
06-21-2008, 12:10 PM
yanks12025 - As stated in the auction, 100% of the proceeds go to the "Kyle Needs Money For New York" Foundation.

I don't have any shower sandles available, but if the winning bidder is a GUF member, then I will throw in this 100% authentic Kyle Hess signed game used baseball from 2008:

both-teams-played-hard
06-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Theres also a pizza place right down the block which had GREAT food.

There's no good pizza places in the city. Go over the bridge to a place in Jersey called "Pizza Hut"...it rocks!

Nathan
06-21-2008, 10:08 PM
There's no good pizza places in the city. Go over the bridge to a place in Jersey called "Pizza Hut"...it rocks!

I can defend a lot, but not that.:eek:

both-teams-played-hard
06-21-2008, 10:31 PM
I can defend a lot, but not that.:eek:
BTW, thanks for your defense on all forums, great or small.:)
But, let me tell you about this Pizza Hut place. Get this- they put the cheese INSIDE the crust...Mama Mi'a...what will they think of next?

Fnazxc0114
06-22-2008, 03:57 PM
kyle you can get ticks for the futures game on stub hub for less than 40 bucks. seats arent great but your still in the stadium

kylehess10
06-22-2008, 06:29 PM
kyle you can get ticks for the futures game on stub hub for less than 40 bucks. seats arent great but your still in the stadium

What about the Legends/Celebrity softball game? I can't find it on stubhub. That's what I wanted to go to the most (besides the All Star Game and HR Derby ofcoarse)

yanks12025
06-22-2008, 07:40 PM
I think the Legends/Celebrity game is part of the futures tickets.

kylehess10
06-22-2008, 09:32 PM
I think the Legends/Celebrity game is part of the futures tickets.

hmmmmmm in that case,,, that's a pretty good deal then! Futures game with celebrity/legends softball game at Yankee Stadium for $20-$30.....dang!

Dewey2007
06-25-2008, 05:42 PM
The hell with the Sid Luckman jersey.

I'm interested to see how much the Kyle Hess gamer ends up selling for. There's only a little more then an hour left in the auction.

trsent
06-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Probably worth a million bucks:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250261605274&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123

Wow, I am still high bidder with 11 minutes to go, and I just put in a snipe to protect my bid. I hope someone outbids me so this kid can see The Big Apple.

He is throwning in a game used baseball to boot!

bigtruck260
06-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Kyle -

I have seen GU MLB bats go for less than this. You should be proud of yourself.

Have fun in NY...er, not too much fun. ;)

Jags Fan Dan
06-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Kyle -

I have seen GU MLB bats go for less than this. You should be proud of yourself.

Have fun in NY...er, not too much fun. ;)
Oh yes, I have bought many bats for less than that. Alex Gonzalez, Lenny Harris, Scott Hatteberg, Mark Lewis, Chris Stynes, Ron Oester, Bill Doran, and probably some I'm forgetting. Good work, Kyle!

kylehess10
06-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks guys! And thanks to trsent for winning the auction! The bat was shipped out yesterday along with the game used baseball

frikativ54
06-27-2008, 11:16 PM
Thanks guys! And thanks to trsent for winning the auction! The bat was shipped out yesterday along with the game used baseball

So when's that tryout, man? Let us know how you do.

kylehess10
06-28-2008, 02:12 AM
So when's that tryout, man? Let us know how you do.

I skipped the most recent one that came to Georgia because I practiced everything EXCEPT having a ball pitched to me at 90mph, so I was going to practice more until the next tryout. My dad and brother can only throw like 30mph :D I did though start out a few weeks ago in a 70mph batting cage.....tried my wooden bat, the vibrations hurt like crazy, but no pain topped when I fouled it off on my ankle! :eek: OUCH!!

frikativ54
06-28-2008, 02:32 AM
I skipped the most recent one that came to Georgia because I practiced everything EXCEPT having a ball pitched to me at 90mph, so I was going to practice more until the next tryout. My dad and brother can only throw like 30mph :D I did though start out a few weeks ago in a 70mph batting cage.....tried my wooden bat, the vibrations hurt like crazy, but no pain topped when I fouled it off on my ankle! :eek: OUCH!!

I don't usually wear batting gloves when I play in the local rec league. But I've never hit using a wooden bat. When's the next tryout; GUU is rooting for you. :D

kylehess10
06-28-2008, 01:01 PM
I don't usually wear batting gloves when I play in the local rec league. But I've never hit using a wooden bat. When's the next tryout; GUU is rooting for you. :D

Actually I did wear batting gloves too! The vibrations still hurt but it's just something you have to get used to I guess. I might have to wait until next year though for the MLSB Tryouts; unless one of the minor league teams near me hold a tryout anytime soon. In the meantime I'm gonna head back to high school and give it a try at high school ball

bigtruck260
06-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Kyle -

I played ball for almost 20 years, until injury kept me from continuing. We use to go to Indiana and play in these "wooden bat" tournaments every now and then.

Hitting in the cages with a wooden bat is a little different than hitting an actual baseball. However, the vibes will always be there if you are not making contact on the right spot (sweet spot) of the bat. I always had more success hitting for power with a wooden bat - there seemed to be less spin on the ball...

I broke a few bats too - That Rawlings you are using looks like a cheaper retail bat (?) the wood quality is not great, and the ball will not have the same feel as MLB timber or a higher quality bat. I saw some guys in those tournaments use the equivalent of a LS 180 model (autograph bat, basically) and have some success though...so it depends on the swing too.

For vibe control in the cages these days (only for workouts), I use a mid-priced LS Maple bat (MM159) - it has lasted through some serious cage sessions, and feels GREAT when you hit it correctly. MUCH better than the LS Pro-Lites that I bought. They broke almost immediately - then again, I am probably a tad larger than you are:)

Good luck at your tryouts. Why not try to get on your local Junior College team? Many of them will take walk-ons.

kylehess10
06-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Kyle -

I played ball for almost 20 years, until injury kept me from continuing. We use to go to Indiana and play in these "wooden bat" tournaments every now and then.

Hitting in the cages with a wooden bat is a little different than hitting an actual baseball. However, the vibes will always be there if you are not making contact on the right spot (sweet spot) of the bat. I always had more success hitting for power with a wooden bat - there seemed to be less spin on the ball...

I broke a few bats too - That Rawlings you are using looks like a cheaper retail bat (?) the wood quality is not great, and the ball will not have the same feel as MLB timber or a higher quality bat. I saw some guys in those tournaments use the equivalent of a LS 180 model (autograph bat, basically) and have some success though...so it depends on the swing too.

For vibe control in the cages these days (only for workouts), I use a mid-priced LS Maple bat (MM159) - it has lasted through some serious cage sessions, and feels GREAT when you hit it correctly. MUCH better than the LS Pro-Lites that I bought. They broke almost immediately - then again, I am probably a tad larger than you are:)

Good luck at your tryouts. Why not try to get on your local Junior College team? Many of them will take walk-ons.

Yes the Rawlings bat I used was the cheaper kind but it was my first wooden bat so I thought it would've been a perfect start. It lasted a good 2 months though, most-likely being that I never had any fast pitches thrown to me. It cracked though right after using it in the batting cages. Also, I would try-out for baseball at the college I could go to near me, but the only problem is that they don't have an athletic program yet. They should in a few years (as they said) but I really doubt it.

jppopma
06-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Kyle,

Best of luck in your tryouts. Too bad they don't have any other colleges near you, alot will have walk-ons and bigger rosters than many other schools. Another option would be to take a look for a semi-pro league, it's not the bigs but it is still competing. You can train and practice all of the time, but its not the same as any game activity no matter what level.

Dave's story about injuries is far too common in baseball -- its just a matter of how far you can make it before anything happens. Looking back I would have loved to keep healthy long enough to get signed and even sit on the bench on the DL for a season. I remember back to laughing at coaches stressing the importance of stretching and thinking "who the heck is he kidding, thats for old out of shape people". I guess I'm one of the old people now because I can barely imagine running any distance without streching. I'm not saying that stretching would have prevented my injury, but if I had it all to do over again.....I wouldn't take any chances.

Another option would be to look into a winter instructional league. They have a few around that will take walk-ons for the league. Many of them have former major leaguers as coaches and play a short season. The only hard part is that you will have to likely travel and some make you pay for room and board and meals up front. There ya go, maybe an idea on what the next auction can raise money for.

Hope you have fun in NY and take care, JP

frikativ54
06-29-2008, 02:01 AM
Actually I did wear batting gloves too! The vibrations still hurt but it's just something you have to get used to I guess. I might have to wait until next year though for the MLSB Tryouts; unless one of the minor league teams near me hold a tryout anytime soon. In the meantime I'm gonna head back to high school and give it a try at high school ball

You are still eligible for high school ball?

tym
06-29-2008, 02:40 AM
[quote=kylehess10;88191]Probably worth a million bucks:

Why? I dont get the value of this thread with regards to actual professional sports collectibles....am I missing something? or are we just adding unnecessary cost to GUU?
Regards,
Ty

Regards,
Ty Moore
www.FriendsOfCFF.com (http://www.friendsofcff.com/)
Make a difference, help find a cure!

"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is the meaning of success."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

trsent
06-29-2008, 03:30 AM

Why? I dont get the value of this thread with regards to actual professional sports collectibles....am I missing something? or are we just adding unnecessary cost to GUU?
Regards,
Ty

Regards,
Ty Moore

"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is the meaning of success."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ty, I bought the item to help the kid's New York trip fund. I even put in a higher bid, figuring since the kid is a regular on the forum who means nothing but well and I bet when he gets to the next stage he will have an amazing memorabilia collection as he is very involved.

If you are not happy with Kyle's thread, you do not have to continue to read it. I know they went off on a tangent, but no reason to pick on the kid.

I'm hoping he makes the majors because I will gladly cash this bat and ball in when he does (giving part of the profits to a charity of my choice at the time) and we can look up this thread and laugh how his bat and ball sold for so little on eBay!

frikativ54
06-29-2008, 04:43 AM
[quote=tym;89190]

Ty, I bought the item to help the kid's New York trip fund. I even put in a higher bid, figuring since the kid is a regular on the forum who means nothing but well and I bet when he gets to the next stage he will have an amazing memorabilia collection as he is very involved.

If you are not happy with Kyle's thread, you do not have to continue to read it. I know they went off on a tangent, but no reason to pick on the kid.

I'm hoping he makes the majors because I will gladly cash this bat and ball in when he does (giving part of the profits to a charity of my choice at the time) and we can look up this thread and laugh how his bat and ball sold for so little on eBay!

I can't believe that we're even discussing this. It's so simple. Kyle wants to go to New York, so he's selling a bat of his. Although he hasn't said as much, the thread can be read as implicit mockery of people trying to collect players from the moment they're out of diapers. In case you're curious, Ty, I placed several bids on Kyle's bat. It wasn't about getting a high school kid's used bat; rather, I too wanted to help him get to New York. From everything I've read here, Kyle is a true fan. He goes to the games, photographs the players, and collects their game-used memorabilia. If life were fair, Kyle would have an all-expense paid trip to New York. But instead of rewarding the biggest fans, our system rewards the biggest spenders, and Kyle doesn't have more than an 18-year-old's salary. So we want to help him out. It's that simple. You're a charitable man, Ty, so I hope you'd want to help a kid like Kyle.

suave1477
06-29-2008, 11:30 AM

Regards,
Ty

Regards,
Ty Moore

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wow I was a bit surprised by this post.

Whether did this to help his cause or for humor either way he is a great resource for this forum. He tries to contribute in any way he can esepcially towards Braves items since he is near or from that area. He is always willing to help and take this hobby very serious which is great for someone of his age. Most kids his age are so focused on video game they don't even know what it is to pick up a bat. Kids nowadays rather play Baseball on xbox360 or ps3 than in real life.

Kyle also provides threads from time to time that are humorous which is what we need, sometimes we all get a little too serious about the hobby and forget that it is supposed to be fun. So this particular thread he started is very much welcomed.

Kyle keep up the good work!!!

bigtruck260
06-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Tym -

A little off- topic, yes - but still not malicious to anyone.
I would much rather read/contribute to Kyle's cause - as his youth tends to add a much-needed reprieve from the adult bickering that sometimes takes place here.

I know you are a good guy Tym. Everyone is entitled to an opinon.

When I disagree with a post, I usually just ignore the thread and move forward to something more satisfying.

Also - Being that Kyle is longshot to make the majors (just being real Kyle) I think the thread is more tongue and cheek. The kid needs some help getting to NY for the All-Star game...and a few forum members wanted to help him out.

tym
06-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Tym -

A little off- topic, yes - but still not malicious to anyone.
I would much rather read/contribute to Kyle's cause - as his youth tends to add a much-needed reprieve from the adult bickering that sometimes takes place here.

I know you are a good guy Tym. Everyone is entitled to an opinon.

When I disagree with a post, I usually just ignore the thread and move forward to something more satisfying.

Also - Being that Kyle is longshot to make the majors (just being real Kyle) I think the thread is more tongue and cheek. The kid needs some help getting to NY for the All-Star game...and a few forum members wanted to help him out.

Thanks all, I stand corrected and now understand what is happening. My bad for not having all the background!

Regards,
Ty

tym
06-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks all, I stand corrected and now understand what is happening. My bad for not having all the background!

Regards,
Ty

and.....Kyle please forgive me :)....go get it!
Ty