• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dewey2007
    • Dec 2007

GU trade for Player's 1st HR Ball falls through

This was in today's Oakland Tribune:

No Deal
    The A's sent someone to try to fetch the ball that Carlos Gonzalez hit Friday night for his first major league homer. Gonzalez signed two of his bats, and the team even threw in a Kurt Suzuki bat, as an enticement for the fan who had the ball to make an exchange.
    No dice.
    According to Gonzalez, the fan was demanding an A's jersey as part of the package. Gonzalez would have liked the souvenir, but not so much that he wanted the team to get in a bidding war.
    "You know what? I never (assumed) I was going to get the ball," Gonzalez said.
    sigpicwww.alamedasportsproject.com
  • orioles03
    • Dec 2005

Re: GU trade for Player's 1st HR Ball falls through

i remember when i was with the o's i was bat boy for the mariners and jeremy reed hit his first hr it hit off the foul pole and after the game one of the coaches asked me to go get the ball it went to the ball girl aso i did all i took was a plain white baseball and i traded him it was get away day and the guy was getting ready to leave i had to go up in the stands in uniform on the first base line the guy just traded i gave the ball to jeremey and he was amazed that i went in the stands to get the ball for him.
    i also remember jose morban his first major league pitch was a hr the guy wanted a team ball, bat, jersey i think i ended up giving him 6-8 cracked bats for the ball
    orioles03@comcast.net

Comment

• dcrules01
      • Nov 2005

Gonzalez is hitting 247 this season.Not sure what the guy thinks he is gonna get for the ball but 3 bats and an autographed ball seems more than fair to me.
      Looking for Doug Flynn and Joel Youngblood items.NY Mets jerseys 78-82

Thanks Scott dcrules01@msn.com

Comment

• otismalibu
        • Nov 2005

Dude, I think you might be pregnant.

You've missed a bunch of periods.
        Greg
        DrJStuff.com

Comment

• orioles03
          • Dec 2005

late night
          orioles03@comcast.net

Comment

• otismalibu
            • Nov 2005

late night
            Toast on a stick.

I couldn't resist some old NBC word association.

Carry on...
            Greg
            DrJStuff.com

Comment

• 3arod13
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by otismalibu
              Dude, I think you might be pregnant.

You've missed a bunch of periods.
              Now that was funny! Still can't stop laughing! Great humor!
              Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• brianborsch
                • Dec 2005

If he really wanted it why wouldn't he just give the fan what he wanted? What would it have cost to include that? Gosh, if I was a pro baseball player (getting paid a good amount of money like Carlos) I would have either done the deal or paid the guy a good amount of cash as that ball would have a huge sentimental amount of value to me, despite the fact it may not be worth all that much. He will never have another 1st home run ball. Oh well, maybe he is not as attached.

Comment

• 70to66
                  • Sep 2007

Hate to see Carlos did not get the ball, he gave me one of his cracked bats when he was with the D-backs and signed it for me. He was really nice.
                  70to66

Comment

• OaklandAsFan
                    • Sep 2007

the guy who caught it is the same guy who caught Bonds 715. He is a cocky SOB who thinks the world owes him and sits in the OF and "professionally" catches HR balls during games and BP to sell later.
                    Had I caught it I would have asked for a Cargo gamer and a Thomas gamer but still would have given him the ball even if they said no to the Thomas.

Comment

• brianborsch
                      • Dec 2005

If I caught it I would have kept it. Its not everyday that you even have an opportunity to catch a great prospects first career home run. Cargo makes millions, he can cope without. And like I said earlier, if he really wanted it he should have shelled out some cash or given the guy what he wanted. It amazes me! Does anyone know the guy who caught it? I would attempt to buy it off of him...

Comment

• nickhanson
                        • Mar 2008

I can't blame the fan for wanting a lot. Gonzalez is a hell of a prospect, I'd want at least a jersey for it, plus other incentives.. lol.

Comment

• OaklandAsFan
                          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by brianborsch
                          If I caught it I would have kept it. Its not everyday that you even have an opportunity to catch a great prospects first career home run. Cargo makes millions, he can cope without. And like I said earlier, if he really wanted it he should have shelled out some cash or given the guy what he wanted. It amazes me! Does anyone know the guy who caught it? I would attempt to buy it off of him...

Brian email me (mdragon75@aim.com) I can probably put you in touch with the guy I know plenty of people who know this guy.

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                            • Nov 2005

Can anyone find and post a link to the story about the Patriots fan who caught the Doug Flutie drop kick ball that went in the stands? I think he tried to extort the Pats for season tickets. Anyone remember?

Comment

• joelsabi
                              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by both-teams-played-hard
                              Can anyone find and post a link to the story about the Patriots fan who caught the Doug Flutie drop kick ball that went in the stands? I think he tried to extort the Pats for season tickets. Anyone remember?

Sunday, January 29, 2006

The "Real" Patriots Fan

Have you heard the story of the ball that Doug Flutie drop kicked?

Because it was a surprise play, the field goal net was never raised, so one lucky fan actually caught the now famous ball. The Football Hall of Fame contacted the Pats asking for the ball, along with Flutie's jersey and shoes. The Pats gladly handed over the jersey and spikes, but security and game tapes failed to identify which fan caught the ball. Some of the season ticket holders contacted the Pats and identified the ball catcher, whom the they tried to reach and had none of their calls returned. Then on Monday, the Pats received a fax from the attorney of the ball catcher. Here is what the fax said:

According to the fax, the law office represents Mr. X, ''who is in possession of the football recently drop kicked by Doug Flutie for the first extra point scored in the NFL by drop kick in forty one years. My client understands that the New England Patriots may have an interest in purchasing that historic football."
                              Then came the fan's ''terms and conditions," which frankly boggle the mind. Here's what one self-proclaimed ''real Patriot fan" feels the ball is worth:
                              ''1. Payment of ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND ($100,000.00) DOLLARS [lawyer's capitals] on delivery of the football.
                              ''2. A guarantee of eight (8) season tickets for 25 years in the end zone (preferably sections 142 or 143).
                              ''a. The season tickets will be paid for annually by my client at the then going price for season tickets. The Patriots would not be expected to pay for the tickets.
                              ''3. Delivery by the Patriots to my client sometime in September, 2006, of a Tom Brady Patriots' football jersey signed by all the team members as of the beginning of the next football season."

Nice. This guy is a "real" Pats fan? How about, I'd like to return the ball to Mr Flutie and my wife and I would like to go out to dinner with the Fluties.
                              Or how about an autographed Flutie jersey? What the hell is this guy thinking. One member of the Pats brass was quoted, "I hope he enjoys the ball."
                              Regards,
                              Joel S.
                              joelsabi @ gmail.com
                              Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

Working...