PDA

View Full Version : GU trade for Player's 1st HR Ball falls through

Dewey2007
06-22-2008, 10:30 AM
This was in today's Oakland Tribune:

No Deal
The A's sent someone to try to fetch the ball that Carlos Gonzalez hit Friday night for his first major league homer. Gonzalez signed two of his bats, and the team even threw in a Kurt Suzuki bat, as an enticement for the fan who had the ball to make an exchange.
No dice.
According to Gonzalez, the fan was demanding an A's jersey as part of the package. Gonzalez would have liked the souvenir, but not so much that he wanted the team to get in a bidding war.
"You know what? I never (assumed) I was going to get the ball," Gonzalez said.

orioles03
06-22-2008, 10:54 AM
i remember when i was with the o's i was bat boy for the mariners and jeremy reed hit his first hr it hit off the foul pole and after the game one of the coaches asked me to go get the ball it went to the ball girl aso i did all i took was a plain white baseball and i traded him it was get away day and the guy was getting ready to leave i had to go up in the stands in uniform on the first base line the guy just traded i gave the ball to jeremey and he was amazed that i went in the stands to get the ball for him.
i also remember jose morban his first major league pitch was a hr the guy wanted a team ball, bat, jersey i think i ended up giving him 6-8 cracked bats for the ball

dcrules01
06-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Gonzalez is hitting 247 this season.Not sure what the guy thinks he is gonna get for the ball but 3 bats and an autographed ball seems more than fair to me.

otismalibu
06-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Dude, I think you might be pregnant.

You've missed a bunch of periods.

orioles03
06-22-2008, 11:03 AM
late night

otismalibu
06-22-2008, 11:06 AM
late night

Toast on a stick.

I couldn't resist some old NBC word association.

Carry on...

3arod13
06-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Dude, I think you might be pregnant.

You've missed a bunch of periods.

Now that was funny! Still can't stop laughing! Great humor!

brianborsch
06-22-2008, 12:27 PM
If he really wanted it why wouldn't he just give the fan what he wanted? What would it have cost to include that? Gosh, if I was a pro baseball player (getting paid a good amount of money like Carlos) I would have either done the deal or paid the guy a good amount of cash as that ball would have a huge sentimental amount of value to me, despite the fact it may not be worth all that much. He will never have another 1st home run ball. Oh well, maybe he is not as attached.:p

70to66
06-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Hate to see Carlos did not get the ball, he gave me one of his cracked bats when he was with the D-backs and signed it for me. He was really nice.
70to66

OaklandAsFan
06-22-2008, 02:04 PM
the guy who caught it is the same guy who caught Bonds 715. He is a cocky SOB who thinks the world owes him and sits in the OF and "professionally" catches HR balls during games and BP to sell later.
Had I caught it I would have asked for a Cargo gamer and a Thomas gamer but still would have given him the ball even if they said no to the Thomas.

brianborsch
06-22-2008, 02:54 PM
If I caught it I would have kept it. Its not everyday that you even have an opportunity to catch a great prospects first career home run. Cargo makes millions, he can cope without. And like I said earlier, if he really wanted it he should have shelled out some cash or given the guy what he wanted. It amazes me! Does anyone know the guy who caught it? I would attempt to buy it off of him...

nickhanson
06-22-2008, 03:10 PM
I can't blame the fan for wanting a lot. Gonzalez is a hell of a prospect, I'd want at least a jersey for it, plus other incentives.. lol.

OaklandAsFan
06-22-2008, 03:43 PM
If I caught it I would have kept it. Its not everyday that you even have an opportunity to catch a great prospects first career home run. Cargo makes millions, he can cope without. And like I said earlier, if he really wanted it he should have shelled out some cash or given the guy what he wanted. It amazes me! Does anyone know the guy who caught it? I would attempt to buy it off of him...

Brian email me (mdragon75@aim.com) I can probably put you in touch with the guy I know plenty of people who know this guy.

both-teams-played-hard
06-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Can anyone find and post a link to the story about the Patriots fan who caught the Doug Flutie drop kick ball that went in the stands? I think he tried to extort the Pats for season tickets. Anyone remember?

joelsabi
06-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Can anyone find and post a link to the story about the Patriots fan who caught the Doug Flutie drop kick ball that went in the stands? I think he tried to extort the Pats for season tickets. Anyone remember?

Sunday, January 29, 2006

The "Real" Patriots Fan (http://patriotsreport.blogspot.com/2006/01/real-patriots-fan.html)

Have you heard the story of the ball that Doug Flutie drop kicked?

Because it was a surprise play, the field goal net was never raised, so one lucky fan actually caught the now famous ball. The Football Hall of Fame contacted the Pats asking for the ball, along with Flutie's jersey and shoes. The Pats gladly handed over the jersey and spikes, but security and game tapes failed to identify which fan caught the ball. Some of the season ticket holders contacted the Pats and identified the ball catcher, whom the they tried to reach and had none of their calls returned. Then on Monday, the Pats received a fax from the attorney of the ball catcher. Here is what the fax said:

According to the fax, the law office represents Mr. X, ''who is in possession of the football recently drop kicked by Doug Flutie for the first extra point scored in the NFL by drop kick in forty one years. My client understands that the New England Patriots may have an interest in purchasing that historic football."
Then came the fan's ''terms and conditions," which frankly boggle the mind. Here's what one self-proclaimed ''real Patriot fan" feels the ball is worth:
''1. Payment of ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND ($100,000.00) DOLLARS [lawyer's capitals] on delivery of the football.
''2. A guarantee of eight (8) season tickets for 25 years in the end zone (preferably sections 142 or 143).
''a. The season tickets will be paid for annually by my client at the then going price for season tickets. The Patriots would not be expected to pay for the tickets.
''3. Delivery by the Patriots to my client sometime in September, 2006, of a Tom Brady Patriots' football jersey signed by all the team members as of the beginning of the next football season."

Nice. This guy is a "real" Pats fan? How about, I'd like to return the ball to Mr Flutie and my wife and I would like to go out to dinner with the Fluties.
Or how about an autographed Flutie jersey? What the hell is this guy thinking. One member of the Pats brass was quoted, "I hope he enjoys the ball."

both-teams-played-hard
06-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Thanks Joel
I thought I remembered it sounding like a ransom demand...and it did.

godwulf
06-23-2008, 09:41 AM
I sometimes think about what kind of things I'd ask for in a situation like the Carlos HR ball. I guess it would really depend a lot on the player involved (or players, if items from teammates were being requested). A person could easily get greedy and cross the line, so that even if your demands were met, they (the players and management) would always remember you, not as a fan, but as that greedy bastich who wanted the moon for a baseball. :rolleyes:

That being said, personally, I don't know why a jersey would be a deal-breaker, either. It's not like the equipment guys couldn't put together a replacement quickly enough.

I already have four of Carlos' bats - an '06 Marucci from Tennessee, a LS M9 and an Old Hickory from last year in Mobile, and an Old Hickory from '07 Spring Training - so in my case, I might not even ask for a bat...maybe a jersey and a batting helmet. Is that greedy? I don't know. In terms of dollars and cents, it doesn't seem like something that a Major League team (or player) would be worried about.

tigerdale
06-23-2008, 10:21 AM
I agree, players can use multiple bats a game, wear a different jersey for that matter if ther want...but a home run ball...thats something a player just can create or use on demand...its the one item left in baseball the can't be cheapened...if i were a player & the fan only asked for a few items...no money involved...I'd be thrilled!!

joelsabi
06-23-2008, 12:59 PM
I agree, players can use multiple bats a game, wear a different jersey for that matter if ther want...but a home run ball...thats something a player just can create or use on demand...its the one item left in baseball the can't be cheapened...if i were a player & the fan only asked for a few items...no money involved...I'd be thrilled!!

did you mean a player just can or cannot create?

joelsabi
06-23-2008, 01:03 PM

you make a great point. hr balls are the only milestone item that players has no control over. the bat is on the field, his uniform is on him but the ball he has no control of once it goes over the wall or fence.

tigerdale
06-23-2008, 01:18 PM
yes, I meant CAN'T create....most players use many bats, card companies want jerseys...most items can be used at will...but a milestone or homerun ball.......theres only so many of those....

brianborsch
06-23-2008, 01:27 PM
And that was my point exactly. If I were Carlos and making the money that he has made thus far, I would have offered GU equipment. If that was a no-go I would offer the guy a lot of cash. It is your first MLB HR for God's sake! That will NEVER happen again!

He obviously didn't care too much about it.

tigerdale
06-23-2008, 01:38 PM
plus, the team sent a rep to ask the fan, they wont do that too often. A player can go home w/ a bat everyday...bring home a few jerseys a season, but to have an actual home run ball....ANY home run ball in your career for that matter....he wont have that oportunity to often.

joelsabi
06-23-2008, 02:05 PM
i wonder if someone polled professional baseball players, if they kept any significant baseball whether, how many would say yes. and if yes, how many went out of their way on their own to get it. now they have stadium personnel that assist so maybe the total is higher. in the old days probably even less.

i dont think player think a homerun ball belongs to them. its nice to have but if they dont get it, its no bid deal to them.

i think the only exceptions are milestone baseballs and game walk-off homers but i wonder if players are going around the base is thinking i really want that ball back. i wouldnt be surprise if the majority of ball players believe the ball belongs to the fans he catch them.

if i was cc sabathia i would want the 440 foot bomb I launch this weekend. his first hr and it was a monster.

Jags Fan Dan
06-23-2008, 02:21 PM
the guy who caught it is the same guy who caught Bonds 715. He is a cocky SOB who thinks the world owes him and sits in the OF and "professionally" catches HR balls during games and BP to sell later.
Had I caught it I would have asked for a Cargo gamer and a Thomas gamer but still would have given him the ball even if they said no to the Thomas.
I can see the point of view for fans of particular players who want the player to have the milestone baseballs, but if I caught a ball from an up and coming player, I would expect fair market value for it or my choice of a reasonable amount of other memorabilia. I mean, I'm mister work-a-day Joe, earning middle class type jack for working 8-5. I've got two youngsters to think about paying for college and goodness knows what else. And if some millionaire hits a ball my way that is worth some dough, I think I'm going to make that hay while the sun is shining. I mean, I'd like for the guy to have it if he wants it, but why should a millionaire expect to pay far less than fair market value for ANYTHING?
I can understand those who feel compelled to give it back, and that's cool. I don't think their dumb or anything. In fact, I admire them. But I can also understand the mentality of those who feel that admiration ain't gonna help put the kids through college!

geoff
06-23-2008, 02:56 PM
If he wants the Ball back he will give up what ever it takes on his part.

Fnazxc0114
06-23-2008, 09:29 PM
last year when sosa hit his 600 the bull pen guys cought the ball and gave it to the bull pen catcher. the catcher now drives around in a tricked out cadillac. pretty cool