PDA

View Full Version : Troubling MLB Action Listing

WadeInBmore
06-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Hey all...

So while performing my typical searches for Frank Thomas items for sale I came across the following auction on mlb.com

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=92639172&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=92985882

At first I got excited because it was a Thomas item that was game used...but then when I looked at it I shrugged it off because I already have a Grey Thomas Blue Jays jersey. I looked up the authentication number and it says item was used against the Orioles...great! mine was used against the O's. Its tagging reads "35 07 S2"...hey thats just like MY jersey. WTF

I bought my jersey directly from the Blue Jays, it has a letter on their letterhead and all the same tagging and authentication stickers and the like...I even have the box that it came in. I actually ran to my closet to check on it and make sure that it was still there and that the ex didn't get rid of it, it was :)

What do you do if you are me? Does anybody have a reliable and fast way to get in touch with MLB.com Auction folks? I am beginning to think that they never actually have the items in there possession when they post these auctions.

I am confused and puzzled...I mean there can only be one S2 jersey with that authentication number right? Has anybody ever run into this before? They ran a Jackie Robinson day jersey from Toronto's game this year and it was signed by Frank Thomas but they said that it was worn by the guy who took #35 after he had left for Oakland.

Any thoughts?

-wade

jgoldstein2000
06-22-2008, 10:30 PM
Wade,

I am confused... are you saying it has the same MLB authentication code? That would be messed up.

Fnazxc0114
06-22-2008, 10:57 PM
i think some teams dont go past set two. they just add the set two to any jerseys past the first.

TNTtoys
06-23-2008, 08:40 AM
Any thoughts?

-wade

Wade:

Does your jersey come with MLB authentication and the exact sticker number BB587296? If not, it is very possible that Thomas had MANY Set 2 road jerseys from that season, and it is from a different series with Baltimore. I think the Jays play 3 series' in Baltimore being that they're division rivals, right? If not, at the very least, 2. Would mean that Thomas could have worn gray jerseys at least 6 times (barring alternates), and increasing the likelihood that there are multiples.

Nick

WadeInBmore
06-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Nick,

Yes my jersey came with the exact same mlb authentication and sticker number. I believe it is even in the same exact place. Kinda makes me think that when I bought it that it was scheduled to go to auction...however...LOL.

I'm hip on all the games that the teams played against each other but a little shocked when everything matched my jersey!!!! Interesting to say the least.

JGoldstein,

Yes it has the same authentication code...very messed up indeed.

Fnaxc,

Thanx for the in put and insight.

I contacted mlb auctions via the email and have yet to hear back from anyone other then their automated response. We will see.

wade

nyjetsfan14
06-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Nick,

Yes my jersey came with the exact same mlb authentication and sticker number. I believe it is even in the same exact place. Kinda makes me think that when I bought it that it was scheduled to go to auction...however...LOL.

I'm hip on all the games that the teams played against each other but a little shocked when everything matched my jersey!!!! Interesting to say the least.

JGoldstein,

Yes it has the same authentication code...very messed up indeed.

Fnaxc,

Thanx for the in put and insight.

I contacted mlb auctions via the email and have yet to hear back from anyone other then their automated response. We will see.

wade

That's a pretty odd story to say the least and I can understand how that would be extremely irritating. Does the pic on the MLB auction look familiar at all? Maybe somehow they just obtained/used the same pic(s) of your original jersey and in fact the one they are currently auctioning off isn't the one shown? Hopefully you get to the bottom of it. Good luck and keep us posted, I am interested in hearing how it turns out.

jgoldstein2000
06-30-2008, 01:18 AM
Did this ever get sorted out? This thread kept me from bidding.

WadeInBmore
06-30-2008, 07:52 PM
...so the issue was never resolved to be honest. This is the response that I got from Mlb.com:

Response (Kasandra Sanchez) - 06/25/2008 04:16 PM
Dear Wade,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, you have not provided enough information to assist with your request. Please provide us with the item listing number and authentication number so we can assist your further.

Thank you for taking the time to write!

Regards,
MLB.com Auctions

By the time that they responded the auction was over. I feel like mlb.com dropped the ball on this one. I gave all the necessary information (including lot number) and they still felt that I didn't supply sufficient information...and worse over there isn't any telephone number to contact them directly to clear issues like this up. I posted this so that fellow members were aware of the situation and for them to make an educated decision about the situation. I am greatly frustrated about this issue, but b/c of work and other events that I have going on in my life I just don't have the time or energy to deal with such BS. Sorry you didn't bid, but honestly I think you made a wise decision. I can only imagine the embarrassment of MLB.com when they find out that they sold a jersey that isn't for sale and isn't in possession of the Toronto Blue Jays. All the best in your future collecting.

wade

brianborsch
06-30-2008, 08:00 PM
I also have dealt with this frustration as I have inquired about a pink bat up for auction right now and I input the listing # in the correct spot and they gave me the same response. On top of that I, when I got one through with the listing #(I just inserted it into the body of the message as opposed to the designated field) they told me that the authentication serial# was not logged yet so they couldn't tell what detail would come with the bat (fair enough), but they didn't answer my question of whether or not it is uncracked! If you want to respond to the requisition they give you a link and it leads you to some useless website which doesn't allow you to update your needs for your request. I enter my user name and it tells me that I don't exist. So I create a new user using my email and it says a user with that email exists. What gives? MLB.com auctions communications have just gone from crap to toal bullshit!

tym
06-30-2008, 08:07 PM
This is a intersting thread, as every item I have bought comes to me in less than three days and from the M's address at Safeco Field. When you all get items from the auction what is the shipping from address?

Regarsd,
Ty
www.FriendsOfCFF.com (wlmailhtml:{79C1093D-9609-4EB0-8352-D31D9E9676F6}mid://00000017/!x-usc:http://www.friendsofcff.com/)
Make a difference, help find a cure!

"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is the meaning of success."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

whatupyos
06-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Tym:

I have received stuff from the Braves and Diamondbacks and they come from the team with team LOA's.

Aaron

bigtruck260
06-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Anytime I have won something - it comes from the Stadium Retail outlet that sells all of the GU stuff. I can usually email the store manager if I have specific questions about something.

WadeInBmore
06-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Brian,

Glad to know that I am not the only one dealing with this issue. Its crazy!!! You would think that they (mlb.com) would be on top of any bugs that occur. I know that I inserted the lot number into the provided blank and then I refered to a game used toronto blue jays Frank Thomas jersey...which they only have one listed at the time that I sent the email!!! Kinda seems like their people aren't actually reading the emails inquiries and simply doing the bare minimum. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It eases my mind for sure for sure.

wade

tym
06-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Tym:

I have received stuff from the Braves and Diamondbacks and they come from the team with team LOA's.

Aaron

Hi Aaron,
Then if that's the case (the items are shipping late, and with bad descriptions), might be time for all the people having issues with the auctions to contact the teams community relations reps. As that is where the satisfaction will be measured.

Regards,
Ty
www.FriendsOfCFF.com (wlmailhtml:{79C1093D-9609-4EB0-8352-D31D9E9676F6}mid://00000017/!x-usc:http://www.friendsofcff.com/)
Make a difference, help find a cure!

"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is the meaning of success."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Emerson