PDA

View Full Version : Just how many get the scissors?

nyjetsfan14
06-23-2008, 10:50 PM
For me this is sad. At least three Leon Washington gamers bit the dust making these cards. How many jerseys is a player of Leon Washington's calibur actually wearing (he is not a superstar by any means) anyhow? I think it is entirely possible some star players are wearing AT LEAST one a game with the demands. If so why does the recent stuff command such high prices in NFL auctions considering the lack of scarcity? This isn't even touching on the subject of the team issue pieces which are increasing all the time. I never like to see these get the scissors though I know there is a market for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTIMATE-LEON-WASHINGTON-RC-AUTO-PATCH-LOGO-LOT-6-1-1_W0QQitemZ140243066995QQihZ004QQcategoryZ655QQssP ageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

frikativ54
06-23-2008, 11:53 PM
I don't know how many get the scissors, but I can definitely relate to how frustrated you are. I used to have a whole Jeff Bagwell patch collection and a Lance Berkman logoman, but I sold everything. I just believed that they ultimately would be as worthless of 1990s insert cards.

One thing that needs to be recognized is that these are actually pieces of history. People on this board like to pretend that only whole jerseys are pieces of history, and that is far from the truth. Any use of a jersey - whether whole or cut up - shares in the unique history of the item.

bigtruck260
06-24-2008, 12:18 AM
After doing some research and reading forum posts regularly, I would not get overly upset about the card companies...unless you are a collector of cards.

I have seen a number of retail bats...and/or rack bats not used by players in rare 1/1 bat barrel cards. I have to wonder how many of the jerseys used were acquired via eBay auctions, auction houses and sources that are not 100% legit (like the teams/player).

For all card collectors know, those are retail jerseys that are cut up. Not saying it is always that way...just suggesting that the card companies have been less than stellar with authenticity in the past.

I think I remember something about a forged Ruth, Johnson, Cobb and Wagner card that a collector sued them for a couple of years ago. If they can buy a counterifet card, why not a counterfiet jersey? Something to think about....

suave1477
06-24-2008, 12:46 AM
BIGTRUCK ILL DO YOU ONE BETTER,

There was an upper deck card card with a piece of Papelbons All Star Game used Jersey. Here is the best part one of the members here owns that Jersey. So it makes you wonder what Upper Deck is passing that off with????:eek:

If you do a search on here you will find the thread.

jppopma
06-24-2008, 01:17 AM
I agree with Big Truck that you never know what that little piece of jersey actually is. Notice those cards say game used jersey, but don't really come out and claim what or who's game worn jersey it is.

Just how many 1 inch squares can you get from a jersey???? Some quick math would say somewhere between 1500-2000 pieces...not really a rare card by any means. This leads to alot of other questions....

Do the card companies take one Joe Blow's actual gamer and use the pieces for everyone on the team's cards? (They are not really lying about it being a piece of game worn jersey)

How much of the jersey do they cut up? You notice more and more "trimmed" jerseys in auctions with sellers claiming that's how the player altered it. Funny that these jerseys have been floating around for years intact and with tags. I always thought that dirtbags were trimming them to remove the tags and reuse them for the next frankenjersey. Maybe the card companies are behind it and trim off just enough to make 100 or so cards and resell the jersey afterward.

Likewise with bats, what would stop UD from shaving off 1/4 of a gamer bat to make into cards and them mounting the flat sided bat onto a plaque to sell for more money that the bat was worth to begin with under their UDA site.

I don't collect cards anymore, but am curious if anyone has come across a game used card that has a pice of the tagging? In my personal opinion, that would be the one I would want over a special "three color" whoopie card being sold as a premium.

suave1477
06-24-2008, 01:36 AM
I agree with Big Truck that you never know what that little piece of jersey actually is. Notice those cards say game used jersey, but don't really come out and claim what or who's game worn jersey it is.

Just how many 1 inch squares can you get from a jersey???? Some quick math would say somewhere between 1500-2000 pieces...not really a rare card by any means. This leads to alot of other questions....

Do the card companies take one Joe Blow's actual gamer and use the pieces for everyone on the team's cards? (They are not really lying about it being a piece of game worn jersey)

How much of the jersey do they cut up? You notice more and more "trimmed" jerseys in auctions with sellers claiming that's how the player altered it. Funny that these jerseys have been floating around for years intact and with tags. I always thought that dirtbags were trimming them to remove the tags and reuse them for the next frankenjersey. Maybe the card companies are behind it and trim off just enough to make 100 or so cards and resell the jersey afterward.

Likewise with bats, what would stop UD from shaving off 1/4 of a gamer bat to make into cards and them mounting the flat sided bat onto a plaque to sell for more money that the bat was worth to begin with under their UDA site.

I don't collect cards anymore, but am curious if anyone has come across a game used card that has a pice of the tagging? In my personal opinion, that would be the one I would want over a special "three color" whoopie card being sold as a premium.

Big Truck is correct but your going a bit to the far left extreme.

Are you famuiliar with Business at all???

Are you familiar with game used baseball cards at all???

I don't mean to sound harsh but most not all of what your saying is normal business practice.
A company taking a shaving off a bat and then using the rest of the bat as a plaque, ok and????
Have you ever seen steiner sell slivers of players bats in there Picture collages? Where do you think those slivers have come from?
As far as tagging in cards, yes there are tons floating around on ebay.
As far as Jersey that have been cut around the bottom thats normal practice for quite a few players especially that was normal practice from players from the 80's and previous, again im not saying all players but quite a few.
Clemens was known for cutting his own tags out because he hated the tag chafing him.

I personally had 2 Yankees Tom Gordon Game Used jersey directly from the Yankees both were Game Used by Gordon and on one of them he cut off the bottom to try it out.

jppopma
06-24-2008, 01:55 AM
Suave,

I understand business and know that any company will milk any bat or jersey as far as they can. Hell, if Steiner can make toothpicks out of a game used bat and sell them -- more power to them. I was just questioning just how much cutting they do. I'm sure that with the popularity of the game used card, none of the companies will fess up to how many they produce. If they use the whole jersey, there doesn't seem to be much rarity in them. If they don't cut up the whole jersey, it just leads you to wonder what they do with the rest...maybe you have some inight.

Yes, my questions were out there, but there were intended to make people wonder about these cards. (No, I am not a conpsiracy theorist--before i get bashed on that)

You are right about be being out of touch with cards other than a few hometown players I collect. I gave up cards and switched to GU years ago when I saw people selling boxes for less that I paid direct from the companies --- when I had yet to even receive my shipment.

Jags Fan Dan
06-24-2008, 07:17 AM
BIGTRUCK ILL DO YOU ONE BETTER,

There was an upper deck card card with a piece of Papelbons All Star Game used Jersey. Here is the best part one of the members here owns that Jersey. So it makes you wonder what Upper Deck is passing that off with????:eek:

If you do a search on here you will find the thread.
I'll piggy back this statement with my findings on Pro Bowl Jerseys. Mark Brunell replied to an email I sent in which he stated he had all of his Pro Bowl Jerseys. I would imagine most of the other Pro Bowlers are doing the same. Yet, there are Brunell and virtually every other Pro Bowl player "player worn" jersey cards with patches from Pro Bowl jerseys stating they were worn jerseys. Just what are these jersey swatches in these cards?

nyjetsfan14
06-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the replies gentlemen, much appreciated - good stuff. I think that the recent player swatches are probably less of a concern than the vintage stuff. I mean when I see the incredible amount of Joe Namath jersey cards out there and then see the number of jerseys that have been in auction houses I have to wonder just how many legit Namath gamers could there be out there to meet all these demands? Somewhere along the line we have to deduct that not everything can be authentic. From what I have read previously card companies had inexperienced and unknowledgeable buyers of the vintage stuff so who knows. Now I think the card companies either have contracts with the league/teams and/or purchase them direct from the teams lessening the chance of fraud. With that being said I have to believe team issued stuff ends up in card companies hands...who can check the game use/wear on a swatch card?

I am only guessing that if they do not use a whole jersey they bag up the remnants and save it for later card issues? That would seem logical to me but I am not privy to the inner workings of the card companies - does anybody know how that actually works? I have a 1999 NY Jets game used jersey that was bought from the Donruss card company when they went out of business, has a couple neat Donruss inventory tags attached in the collar (one of which indicates the incredibly absurd price they paid for it!). As stupid as it sounds I feel like a piece of history was saved and it makes the jersey more enjoyable for me.

Thanks again and happy collecting!

nyjetsfan14
06-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Maybe these are the type of jerseys that help the card companies make up "game used" Pro Bowl jersey cards? If it happens with Pro Bowl jerseys then I am sure back-up or team issued regular season jerseys end up on the chopping block:

http://www.nflauction.nfl.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=95397110&prmenbr=65664914&aunbr=95743820