PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining Game Used Items Directly From the Player

nick1980
05-15-2008, 12:38 PM
I was wondering how many of you have purchased your items directly from the athlete? and if you have did you take their word 100% on either what game they used the item or that they actually did use it?

I'm a alumni of University of Oregon and have always collected items of the guys who go pro. This year my sports partner and I where able to get in contact with Dennis Dixon, Johnathan Stewart, Cameron Colvin and a couple other guys and we purchased their game used jersey's, cleats and got tons of auto's. I also got Dennis Dixon's minor league baseball bat from his stint with the Braves. Of course it had someone else's name engraved but he signed it "game used Braves" and it shows tons of use. I can't imagine him keeping someone else's bat.... I thought it was fun asking what games they used these jersey's in most they knew but some they didn't the ones they knew we had them inscribe "game used ______ " for the particular game. We also got tons of pictures of them signing the items it was completely new for me as I get almost all my items from auction and have never received something from a athlete. We did pay for everything so nothing was free. If someone needs some Dixon or Stewart auto's let me know

B1SON
05-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Joe Mays pictured below was just drafted by the Eagles. He is like a son to me. I have bought all his equipment (jerseys, helmet, etc.) directly from the NDSU athletic department, but from now on, he will be getting me his pro stuff.

godwulf
05-15-2008, 01:33 PM
A few years ago, I saw a couple of nice, big MLB player's equipment bags, one from the Mariners and one from the Diamondbacks, on eBay. The Seller turned out to be Bob Wolcott, who pitched in the Majors for several teams in the mid to late '90s, and is now retired in a small town up in Oregon. He told me the bags were just gathering dust in his garage, so he decided to get rid of them.

I bought the DBacks bag, which is really nice, even though I have no idea how I'm ever going to display it and it's still sitting in a box in my bedroom closet. :rolleyes:

Since he and I were emailing back and forth anyway, I asked Bob whether he'd mind signing a few cards for me, and he said Sure. I sent him three or four cards, and got those back signed, along with a couple of others that he had that I didn't - I thought that was pretty cool.

Spiezio23
05-15-2008, 02:18 PM
I am the one that got the Mariners bag from him. I am in the same situation, how to display it. It's in a plastic storage tub right now since I'm moving later this year but I still have no idea how/where I'll display it. I really wish I had bid on his fielding glove at the time, but oh well. I do recall he kept his jerseys for his kids but the rest was gathering dust.

-Jeremy

godwulf
05-16-2008, 09:00 AM
I must have missed seeing the glove...although somebody else had one of his gloves up on eBay at about the same time, and I emailed a link to him and he took a look and confirmed it had been one of his, before I bid and eventually got it.

I could probably figure out a way to display the bag here in the master bedroom if I got off my butt and just did it. Probably some variation of hanging it from the ceiling, I'm thinking. I already put up a special shelf about 8 feet up that holds and displays my three Matt Williams golf bags (the ceiing is about 12 feet high at that end of the room) so the equipment bag shouldn't be all that much of a challenge.

Heck, if I quit my job and worked at it full-time, I could probably have my collection organized and displayed...in a matter of years. :rolleyes:

Spiezio23
05-16-2008, 09:48 AM
For some reason I thought he was the one that sold it.. I guess I "Missremembered". That's still cool, and I've yet to see any of his jerseys anywhere.

-Jeremy

godwulf
05-16-2008, 12:57 PM
I've managed to track down a number of those black, mesh BP jerseys from the '98 DBacks - I bought eleven in one deal alone - but nothing of Wolcott's; I haven't seen any of his jerseys for sale, either.

ahuff
06-24-2008, 08:04 AM
I have a question. I regularly attend minor league games. This year I have made it a priority to talk to players and attempt to get game used/worn gear, directly from them. Mind you, I am only asking those players that I enjoy watching, and it isn't necessarily the "star" player in everyone else's mind. I've been moderately successful in obtaining a few bats. Does anyone have some suggestions on how to approach players so that I might have a bit more success? I guess I don't know how to show them that I'm not a "dealer" but rather just a true fan. Not to mention, what is the best way to break the ice with such a conversation?

camarokids
06-24-2008, 08:10 AM
Spring Training 1997 at the Cardinals Training Camp . A female shows Mark Sweeney a picture , next thing I know he gives her a bat .

The girl showed him a picture of her collection of bats and asked Mark for a bat to add to her collection .

It worked .

I got like 20 bats in a two week period at the Camp that year . I just asked for a bat .

I bet it helped that 1997 was the last year the Cardinals were in St. Petersburg ......

Chris78
06-24-2008, 09:14 AM
I am actually wanted to ask this same type of question. I personally have asked two players with no success each time. One was on my last day at the Arizona Fall League and once at the Reading Phillies this year.

I would think that some of the influence would also be how large of a crowd is on hand, how many cracked bats happened during the game, type of player it is, etc.

I also wanted to know if the player's that you have asked actually have the name of the player on the bat. The higher you go (AA-AAA) they probably do, but lower levels seem less likely to have bats with names on them.

suave1477
06-24-2008, 09:34 AM
I have had much success with becoming a friend first to the player. Especially if it is the home team player. Do not make it your first question of priority.
Example - As soon as you see him " Hey Joe can I get a bat?" There normal reaction would be "Uh No, don't have any".

Make small conversation with them over a few games, talk to them about things they like.
Example - hey how do you like playing in a New York town? Have you gone sightseeing around the city? Hey I know a great bar/club/lounge you guys can go to, to blow off steam!!
Things like that.

By the third game or fourth game then say hey if you have any bats that have been cracked or your not interested in using any more please keep me in mind. I would love to have one.
Usually with no problem they will run and grab you a couple.

I say, always ask for the cracked bats because remember they are Minor Leaguers and cannot always afford to give up a good game used bat.
But you would be surprised sometimes they will come back with a good one for you.

Recently I did this with one of the Yankees Minor Leaguers and he told me "No Problem for you Jason as soon as one of my bats gets cracked ill put it aside and hold it for you and give it to you when I see you" he then followed up with a light hearted joke. "Hopefully I don't crack any bats this season" lol:p

OaklandAsFan
06-24-2008, 01:31 PM
almost my entire collection of game used gear has come directly from the player themselves.

Just go to the games and make sure they see you at the games all the time. Just say hi when you see them, don't always ask for autographs and stuff like that and towards the end of the season start asking for stuff. The players will see that you are a big fan and be more than happy to hook you up.

OaklandAsFan
06-24-2008, 01:37 PM
I am actually wanted to ask this same type of question. I personally have asked two players with no success each time. One was on my last day at the Arizona Fall League and once at the Reading Phillies this year.

I would think that some of the influence would also be how large of a crowd is on hand, how many cracked bats happened during the game, type of player it is, etc.

I also wanted to know if the player's that you have asked actually have the name of the player on the bat. The higher you go (AA-AAA) they probably do, but lower levels seem less likely to have bats with names on them.

Chris I got 4 cracked gamers in one game last year at the Arizona Fall League ;) I would rather not give up any secret techinques I have for acquiring that stuff ;) but just know that its all about right place right time. After the championship game of the AFL last year we went back to Phoenix to hang out and congratulate the Desert Dogs on winning and as Andrew Mccutchen was getting off the bus I said "good game Andrew, congrats on winning" and he said "thanks, want a bat?" right place right time ;)

treant985
06-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Interesting that this topic came up. Just a few weeks ago, I decided to try to collect some bats from players that I enjoyed watching on the local A+ team. I was able to buy a few bats from the team that had been autographed by the player that cracked them, but I figured it would be a lot more memorable if I got the bats from the players themselves.

So I went to three games in a row and watched how the players acted before, during, and after the games. Seems like the best time to ask is right after the last out is made, when they're cleaning out the dugout and willing to give things away. Try to remember which players broke bats (or carried extra ones with them when they went to the dugout at the beginning of the game). Usually, they'll give any broken bats away to whomever asks first, so your method of asking doesn't matter that much.

Doesn't hurt to go to games that will have fewer small children at them, since the players have a soft spot for them and will usually give them stuff first (Friday and Saturday games are usually the worst for children). If you're attending the game with a lady, then see if she'll ask them for a bat; almost no way they'd turn her down (she doesn't have to be a model or anything), unless they honestly didn't have anything to give away.

I'll usually sit by the on-deck circle, so the players see you there when they're warming up. That's especially useful for the visiting team, who usually has far fewer fans sitting near their dugout than the home team will. I went to a game this Sunday and was the only person within 20 feet of the visiting dugout.

Also try to remember each guy's first name, since that way they realize that you actually know who they are, not just reading their jersey number.

Hopefully some of this helps; maybe most of it's just common-sense stuff, though.

treant985
06-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Has anybody ever tried trading things with a player? Most of these minor leaguers just use whatever bats the team provides, so it seems like they'd love to get a nice new bat, especially if it's something besides a ho-hum Louisville Slugger. Granted, trading a brand new $70+ bat for a broken one wouldn't be much of a deal unless the player is well-known. But maybe going to the player and saying you'll trade him a brand new bat for several cracked ones, or for an uncracked gamer that'd be more valuable?

Or, if you go to a lot of a team's games, maybe you could just give a player a new bat and then ask if he'll keep you in mind for when he has some broken ones. That might be a better way to get a gamer from a player who's a little more well-known.

Has anybody tried that kind of thing before?

OaklandAsFan
06-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Has anybody ever tried trading things with a player? Most of these minor leaguers just use whatever bats the team provides, so it seems like they'd love to get a nice new bat, especially if it's something besides a ho-hum Louisville Slugger. Granted, trading a brand new $70+ bat for a broken one wouldn't be much of a deal unless the player is well-known. But maybe going to the player and saying you'll trade him a brand new bat for several cracked ones, or for an uncracked gamer that'd be more valuable?

Or, if you go to a lot of a team's games, maybe you could just give a player a new bat and then ask if he'll keep you in mind for when he has some broken ones. That might be a better way to get a gamer from a player who's a little more well-known.

Has anybody tried that kind of thing before?

in 2002, Playoff Absolute Memorabilia put out these great glass etch box toppers. I showed them to Tim Hudson and Barry Zito and they both thoguht they were awesome so I went out and bought each of them one on ebay. Huddy said he would hook me up at the end of the season but didn't but Zito first offered to pay me back the cost and when I told him I collect game used stuff he gave me a bat instead.

Dewey2007
06-27-2008, 08:42 PM
I just acquired this bat from former Marlins player Chris Clapinski who is also a former Cal Bear. We have exchanged a few e-mails and he also collects memorabilia. Anyhow, I asked him if he had any gamers from his playing days that he'd be interested in selling and he was kind enough to send this to me for my Cal Bears/MLB bat collection. Very kind of him and it is definitely much appreciated. Go Bears!!