PDA

View Full Version : 1994 125th Anniversary Patches and Stickers

Frink
06-25-2008, 08:53 PM
Hey, folks! Longtime lurker, occasional I'm-looking-for-this-in-the-wanted-ads poster.

I have a question for you all, that I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with.

Last Christmas, my fiancee purchased a 1994 or 1995 Detroit Tigers road batting helmet on eBay, numbered 42 on the back. The "125th Anniversary" sticker is also still on the helmet, beneath the number.

The helmet belonged to Buddy Groom, according to the seller, but is a right-handed helmet, and Groom batted and threw left handed. So, for a long time, I've had serious questions about who the heck used this helmet.

Tonight, I was going through sports cards, and found an image of Phil Nevin from late 1995 (he was traded to the Tigers on August 15th, eight days after Groom left Detroit in a trade), and apparently HE wore 42 in 1995, as well as the same style of helmet as the one I have beside me now. Apparently, Nevin took number 12 the next year, and that was all she wrote for 42.

My question is, with 1994 being the 125th anniversary of Major League Baseball, were stickers left on helmets the following season, 1995, under any circumstances? I'm hoping that I've found the owner of the helmet, but still questioning that due to this one confusing item.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry L.