PDA

View Full Version : American Memorabilia Auction Questions

dcgreg25
06-26-2008, 09:36 AM
So I was looking through the offerings in the latest American Memorabilia auction last night and had a few thoughts/questions.

The way they word a couple of their listings implying historical significance on jerseys without provenance as to the specific event. The first example (as an Indians collector) is the lot titled "1970 Ray Fosse Game-Worn Cleveland Indians Flannel Jersey (from the Pete Rose All-Star Game Incident)" However, they reach this conclusion from by the following logic in the listing:

"This one-year style jersey, we believe, was worn by Fosse on that fateful day. Because it's a road jersey and one-year 3-D style, it logically leads that this is actually the jersey that Fosse was wearing in the most famous collision in All-Star Game history - July 14, 1970. "

I don't dispute that this is information that could be included in the listing but to put it in the title makes a certain representation that this absolutely was the jersey worn, whereas the listing seems to simply draw a general conclusion.

Can anybody shed any light on how many jerseys players used in a season during this era and/or what the likelihood is that this is the actual jersey? I am starting to try an do some photo research but most of the images of Fosse from the game are of the collision and you can not see the jersey well.

I had the same question about the "1960 Wynn Hawkins Indians Game-Worn Flannel Jersey (Pitched Ted Williams'' 500th Home Run)" This listing is less emphatic that this is the jersey worn when he gave up Williams 500th homerun. Since Williams hit his 500th homerun on June 16th in Cleveland it certainly is possible he was wearing this jersey.

As most of my experience is with post 1980 jerseys my question on both of these jerseys is how many jerseys did a player go through in this era and what is the likelihood that one or both of these items was used during the historic event?

ironmanfan
06-26-2008, 09:46 AM
I know of a prominent collector in the Baltimore area who has a 1970 road Ray Fosse jersey as well (which he has surmised was used in that infamous game as well). Now thats at least two jerseys....