PDA

View Full Version : Priceless baseball memorabilia lost in floods

metsbats
06-27-2008, 02:56 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/06/27/gone.for.good.ap/index.html

Article about former Negro leaguer Art Pennington's collection lost in the Iowa floods.

-David

both-teams-played-hard
06-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Thanks for posting this story. I think we can all learn from this story. Every time I am reminded of how f**ked up this country was and is, I feel like punching a wall or punching a racist. Who cares about steroids? Every baseball record prior to the career of Jackie Robinson deserves an asterisk. Why did the white people not want to play sports with the black people? Because they didn't want to get beat. College basketball is no better. A black man did not play for the University of North Carolina until 1966. What kind of sh*t is that? I grew up in the south, and I am not proud of it. My best friend's mother grew up in Seattle in the 50s and went to school with whites, blacks and Asians. Meanwhile, in North Carolina they had separate water fountains for whites and blacks. And separate schools. And separate restaurants. And separate churches. And separate neighborhoods. Well, they still have separate churches and neighborhoods. Even in the so-called tolerant city of Los Angeles, neighborhoods are divided. I know my rant is off-topic, but I am embarrassed for your country. 51% percent of the people want to change this country, but the other 49% like it just fine...the way it is.

I am thankful that there are citizens who help all people and animals that are victims of natural disasters.

Warren Humphrey

AWA85
06-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Living on the river in southeast iowa it has been a rough time here. Not just collections lost or valuables but complete homes, livestock and farms. Many people are still not allowed in their houses just a few miles from me. It is a horrible time right now, and this story shows just a fraction of what is going on along the Mighty Mississippi.

allstarsplus
06-27-2008, 07:18 PM
I am glad you Posted this. Joel Hanrahan (relief pitcher) approached the Washington Nationals marketing department to run an auction to benefit the Red Cross for the flood disaster relief.

I hope you bid (especially on the Golf Outing that I donated):

http://nationals.auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/User?id=washList&wl=56309549&type=L

but don't bid against me on the "Bat Kid" for the day auction (lol).

AWA85
06-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Awesome stuff the Nats are doing. A good way to raise some coin and help out!

joelsabi
06-27-2008, 07:45 PM
no to seem callus but i wonder why the hof wont actively pursue a collection like his and house them as a loan from the player. the player is still the owner and can ask the hof for the items back whenever he wants. yes maybe some players dont want to donate heirloom to the hof when they may fetch a substantial amount for their retirement or the betterment of their family but maybe players will be more open to a loan to the museum. agree or disagree.

ahuff
06-28-2008, 07:36 AM
Living on the river in southeast iowa it has been a rough time here. Not just collections lost or valuables but complete homes, livestock and farms. Many people are still not allowed in their houses just a few miles from me. It is a horrible time right now, and this story shows just a fraction of what is going on along the Mighty Mississippi.

Here is how our stadium looked for quite some time. Under all of the water is a parking lot, street, sidewalk, and levee.

joelsabi
06-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Here is how our stadium looked for quite some time. Under all of the water is a parking lot, street, sidewalk, and levee.

thanks for the photo. it give perspective of what is happening there. possession can be replaced. lets hope the national government lends some assistance soon so people can get their lives back on track