PDA

View Full Version : Mears A5

jetersbatboy
06-28-2008, 09:01 PM
What do you guys think does a Mears A5 jersey qualify as game worn if it shows use or is it just a game issued jersey.

schubert1970
06-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Read the FAQ at MEARS. I would copy and paste it but they have the site protected. http://www.mearsonline.com/services/faqs.asp

Seems like they can verify it's a player model, but game use is described but not classified as game used. I think A5 is really risky depending how much your going to spend. I've seen some Elway jerseys that I want and most have a MEARS A5, I wouldn't purchase them as game used even though the seller thinks it is. You can get a player model, then play with it in the backyard and submit it to MEARS and you would still get an A5.

my .02 cents

schubert1970
06-28-2008, 10:56 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Alex-Rodriguez-2003-Game-Used-Jersey-MEARS-LOA-A5_W0QQitemZ120275678650QQihZ002QQcategoryZ60597QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is a great example. This jersey doesn't even have the serial number the Rangers were using to track gamers. Doesn't even have a MeiGray letter, but an A5 by MEARS. The A5 would be the correct grading by MEARS for this jersey. Here is another link for a 2003 with more info

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alex-Rodriguez-GAME-USED-2003-1st-MVP-Rangers-jersey_W0QQitemZ140224530850QQihZ004QQcategoryZ605 97QQcmdZViewItem

jppopma
06-28-2008, 11:03 PM
I have plenty of Mears A5 jerseys that I am perfectly happy with being game used. They seem to be pretty strict on their grading.

For Mears, A5 is the standard grade for any jersey made after 1987. According to their worksheet there are only a few things to bring that grade up. Documented combined player traits specific to examined player, mostly common player jerseys perefectly matching verified examples (up to 3pts), "property of" documented team stamps (up to 5pts), player autographed documentation, ei "my gamer" (5pts), exact photo match (5pts). They then have many many more things that can drop the score back down.

For the mater of game used or game issued, you would want to look at Mears' wear characterists section of the worksheet. They list evident use, fading, gathering, seam wear, fabric wear, and others there. While it is subjective to the grader, it should give you some details on if it is game used or just game issued.

That said, many of the post 87 gamers out there will fall into that A5 category. I'm sure there are statistics out there somewhere.

Another side note, remember to always compare grades within the same company. In other words, the same jersey could be a Mears A5 and a Lampson grade 10. I won't even get too deep into the later, but I have seen other graders with some very sketchy 10's out there---yet at the same time I have jerseys from that same grader with team tags and PSA/DNA NFL paperwork that only get 0.5/2 for provenance. Go figure.

Hope this helps.

schubert1970
06-28-2008, 11:34 PM
This is why the price for anything greather than A5 gets a premium price. I think it's a good thing.

schubert1970
06-28-2008, 11:44 PM
For the mater of game used or game issued, you would want to look at Mears' wear characterists section of the worksheet. They list evident use, fading, gathering, seam wear, fabric wear, and others there. While it is subjective to the grader, it should give you some details on if it is game used or just game issued.

I couldn't disagree more with this comment. So if we use the logic above. Someone could submit a player model jersey after playing in a ball game with it. After the jersey is graded my MEARS A5, you would have GAME USED or GAME ISSUED. What you have is a game issued with wear. This is why MEARS won't commit to saying "game used". Huge difference.

jetersbatboy
06-29-2008, 12:29 AM
The reason I asked this question because I have a Posada with all the tagging for 2005, that I paid only cents on the $1 for it. So as fair as I understood was if I sent it to mears it would get a grade no higher then A5. I was just trying to see if it would be worth spending the money to have it graded. When grading would not increase the value of the jersey.

David
06-29-2008, 12:45 AM
My reading is that for modern jerseys an A5 means the jersey meets specifications for being a gamer, but is missing documented team, player or comparable provenance/LOA. In these instances, the difference between a A5 and an A10 is the extra documentation. Presumably, a definitive photo match would be worth the same as the provenance.

David
06-29-2008, 12:52 AM
For jeterbatboy, some collectors would value a MEARS A5 letter, as it documents that MEARS feels the jersey itself physically matches with what Posada would wear.

thomecollector
06-29-2008, 07:48 AM
Ok, so is this a MEARS A5, or better ??

David
06-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Many bidders in a game used jersey auction are not game used experts. Perhaps they specialize in autographs or football cards. For them a MEARS A5 letter serves an an outside, independent-to-the-seller opinion about the jersey-- particularly important when the bidders don't know the seller.

Of course MEARS, PSA/DNA and JSA make mistakes, but at the least their letters give an independent opinion about the auction item. For better or worse, most bidders on eBay value these types of second opinions.

jppopma
06-29-2008, 11:24 PM
I couldn't disagree more with this comment. So if we use the logic above. Someone could submit a player model jersey after playing in a ball game with it. After the jersey is graded my MEARS A5, you would have GAME USED or GAME ISSUED. What you have is a game issued with wear. This is why MEARS won't commit to saying "game used". Huge difference.

Schubert, I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with what the authenticator puts in the wear sections, just pointing out that it is addressed on their worksheet. I would hope that they, as "experts", would be able to tell the difference between a game used and a backyard used jersey. Like anything else..I'm sure there are a few that have passed with improper use.

If there is tagging that is missing, the jersey should have had points taken off for it. I'm not sure how many, but when you get into the A4 or A3 range, I would expect alot fo red flags going off.

chakes89
06-29-2008, 11:59 PM
Here is there definition for anyone that doesn't want to view their site:

Q: What does your definition of A5 for uniforms mean?
A. A grade of A5 can be the result of two things. For pre-1987 jerseys it reflects a cumulative grade for shirt with points being added or deducted for various factors as listed in our grading criteria. For post 1987 jerseys it reflects both a grade and an issue within the hobby that deserves both explanation and qualification as it relates to star or period star player uniforms. As LTC Dave Grob wrote in an 30 April 2004 Article in Sports Collectors Digest titled "The shirt off my back or off the rack! When collecting gamers became a hazardous hobby," he begins to explain the commercialization of game used product within the hobby. Although not limited to just uniforms, as this is also roughly the same period of time that the Anaconda-Kaye Sports Inc. Pro-Model bats surfaced within the hobby (1986-1989), it does provide a similar set of circumstances requiring explanation. For MEARS, a post 1987 star player or period star player jersey, this means that without provenance, both reasonable and verifiable, the A5 designation is defined as a jersey that posses all the qualities and physical characteristics of a major league uniform manufactured for the purposes of player use, retail sale, or promotion. Only use and wear on the uniform will be described. Other examples of products that highlight the need within the hobby for an A5 designation are the Champion basketball jerseys of star players for the mid to late 1990s.

trsent
06-30-2008, 11:51 AM
What do you guys think does a Mears A5 jersey qualify as game worn if it shows use or is it just a game issued jersey.

A response to your question, by Troy Kinunen, posted on his forum:

Over the weekend I recieved a couple questions regarding the MEARS A5 grade. I will answer each independently.

1. Is an item that was never used given an A5 Grade if it has the proper tags.

Answer: Yes, but in the title "Team Issued" is added and in the comment section we note that the jersey exhibits no visible game wear. The long term benefit of assigning the jersey with the A5 grade and the comment section noting lack of use is if in the future the jersey is doctored then resubmitted, we have a record of the jersey in it's original condition.

2. All jerseys are given an A5 by MEARS, even jerseys that I can buy in stores.

Answer: No. We have never issued a grade on a retail jersey that did not have professional tagging. For the most part, retail jersey of the NFL and MLB are tagged seperately from game issued jerseys. MEARS has never assigned a grade to a retail jersey. For example in the case of NFL auctions which offer pro-cuts which are often identically tagged, we note them as pro - cut in our titles showing no wear.

Now, it may be possible for someone to purchase a jersey from NFL Auction as a non worn pro cut jersey, put it in their closet for 10 years, wear in themselves and add fake use, then submit to MEARS. With the amount of digital documentation, it is most likely that at some point in time somebody would have documented the original sale of the item as non - game used. MEARS has created policy language for that event. On our website under submissions, we have stated "

I am submitting this item with full disclosure of its origin, history and condition with respect to use, wear, or alterations. I am not knowingly offering or representing something as game used that I purchased as game issued, team issued, or a retail/promotional offering. I understand that through the course of the evaluation performed by MEARS, I may be asked about the source of the item and history of ownership. MEARS reserves the right to no longer accept items from me or those that I have a business association with based on the submission of problematic items. In certain cases, MEARS reserves the right to turn the item and any and all information pertaining to it over to a law enforcement agency that has proper jurisdiction.

All information vital to the history/provenance, originality, authenticity, presence of alterations, and degree of wear or lack of therefore, should be presented to the evaluators at MEARS at the time of the authentication. In instances where this information is withheld or omitted at the initial time of evaluation and presented to MEARS at a later date, this information will be included in an amended LOO which will be updated at www.mearsonline.com (http://www.mearsonline.com). This new information will be included in the comment section of each letter and new information may affect a previously assigned grade. In these instances, MEARS is not responsible for any change of value this updated information may cause with respects to market values.

All items submitted to MEARS are to include a signed statement that the above was read and understood. MEARS archives the documents permanently. If at a later date the item re-enters the hobby, MEARS has record of the original submitter. This information will then be used to prosecute any violators of this policy.

How can MEARS issued grades on jerseys that are under contact with companies such as Steiner or MeiGrey?

Answer: Our grading protects the integrity of the programs and procedures that those companies have put in place and reward via a high A10 grade jersey which were evaluated by those companies using their procedures.

It is the belief by some that MEARS should not grade modern Yankee jerseys that are not Steiner authenticated. I disagree. When a jersey crosses the desk of MEARS and it is a 2006 A Rod Yankees home which is properly tagged, the jersey obviously exists. Per the MEARS grading of the jersey and awarding the A5 grade, we are differentiating this jersyey from Steiner. In our comment section, we note that this jersey did not come with Steiner paperwork and that no provenance was provided. We measure the degree of wear, light, medium, heavy, but state that there is no provenance included with the jersey to verify the jersey was worn by the player.

Other authenticators identify these non Steiner jersey as game worn, MEARS does not. With respects to MEARS grading, many customers have submitted their Yankees jerseys to MEARS with the Steiner paperwork knowing that their items would be graded a MEARS A10 and be placed in our jersey trade index. Members can see the Steiner A10 jerseys vs. the A5 items we have evaluated. This creates value of the Steiner authenticated items vs the non.

jetersbatboy
06-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the clarification Joel. would it be ok to PM you with a couple more questions.
Thanks Scott
jetersbatboy@hawaiiantel.net