PDA

View Full Version : 1967 Game Used Yaz Batting Helmet

Fraudfinder!!
06-29-2008, 02:28 PM
First a disclaimer, I know NOTHING about major league helmets. I am looking for some advice on this reported helmet. I was approached yesterday by a family I have known for over 30 years. We had a function last night where GU items were put on display. Before the event they notified me that they had a Yaz batting helmet that was given to them in the late 60's by there close family friend who's son was a Boston Red Sox bat boy. They said the helmet was from 1967. They said that Yaz gave them the helmet and it was used in many games. They have had the helmet ever since. They asked me if I wanted to display it. I said "sure" and inquired if they would be interested in selling the helmet. The family said they would sell it as it was nothin special to them. The family then gave me the helmet that I have photos of here.

For all I know this could have been bought at Walmart last year. As I said I know nothing about helmets. The inside is imprinted with "American Baseball Cap Inc" with a number underneath.

Any comments on this helmet?? Thank you.

ironmanfan
06-29-2008, 02:31 PM
It certainly wasn't purchased at Wal-Mart last year as it's definitely a vintage ABC batting helmet. There should be plenty of Yaz photos out there that should provide whether he ever wrote his # like that on the back....Good possibility that this is legit...

Tay1038
06-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Fraudfinder: Shoot me an email will ya! Tay1038@aol.com

Thanks,
Taylor

sicollector1954@insightbb.com
06-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Send me an e-mail as well if you get this. I have an early Yaz bat that has his number on the knob and you can compare. Thanks.

sicollector1954@comcast.net

Dewey2007
06-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Not the best shot but it's a start...

Fraudfinder!!
06-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks. I have seen several Yaz pics during 1967 but have no close up photos of him batting. I have been asked several times for my email: mikemo@metrocast.net

Dewey2007
06-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Try finding a 1968 Red Sox Yearbook. There might be some good shots of Yaz in one of those.

Also, try checking out, www.thatsmyboy03.com (http://www.thatsmyboy03.com) He has lots of baseball pictures from the 60's & 70's. I'm sure he has a few Yaz photos on there.

Good luck!

Fraudfinder!!
06-30-2008, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the imput. Any other forum members??

cohibasmoker
06-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the imput. Any other forum members??

I have attached a scan of the inside of a Cardinals helmet also from 1967. It shows the inside ABC sticker. Hope it helps.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

Fraudfinder!!
06-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Jim (and everyone else),
Thank you for your posts.
Jim, quick question. Do you still have the Pesky 1975 jersey for sale? A change in the topic, I was very fortunate to spend Saturday evening as well as Sunday with "Mr. Red Sox". He was at the function that I help put on that I spoke about in the earler post. I was lucky enough to drive him to his home from my home town. A two hour drive that Johnny told a million stories about "Ted" and his time in major league baseball. What a thrill. His son David and daughter in law Allison also made the trip. Great people.

I was invited in Johnny's home and took a "tour" of his trophy room. I asked if he had any game used items from his career. He threw away many of his "old" uniforms (or gave the away to charity places, thus the Goodwill story). He has about ten GU uniforms, mostly from the 2000's. I get the feeling he regrets tossing his game used items and I would be very interested in buying the 1975 jersey and presenting it to him. Please shoot me an email at mikemo@metrocast.net if the item is still for sale and the lowest price you would be willing to sell. Thanks Mike.

Fraudfinder!!
07-02-2008, 03:58 PM
I have looked at 300-400 Yaz pixs and while I have seen many photos of him with a style match of this helmet, I cannot find any with the back of the helmet shown. I have inquired with MEARS about looking at this helmet to offer a opinion on it. If anyone else has a opinion on it please feel free to chime in. Thanks again for your suggestions. Mike

Fraudfinder!!
08-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Good news on the helmet. I am now the proud owner of this great helmet.

http://www.mearsonline.com/news/newsDetail.asp?id=514

ironmanfan
08-25-2008, 12:28 PM
I had a suspicion it was the real deal and after reading Dave Grobs/MEARS analysis of it, I'm glad for you that they came to the same conclusion.

Congrats!!!

jgoldstein2000
08-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Awesome helmet! Congrats... I want it.

Fraudfinder!!
08-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Thanks Ironmanfan, you called it right. Dave Grob and Mears did a superb job in researching this helmet. I highly recommend them.

Tedw9
08-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Wow, great helmet and great story! I'm glad it turned out to be real, thats an incredible find. Thanks for sharing with us. :)

Fraudfinder!!
08-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Thanks Tedw9,
Yaz was a hero of mine growing up, my favorite player. Like many boys growing up in New England in the 60's and 70's he was an idol. Last November I was at the Smithsonian in DC where I saw a Yaz ,1970's batting helmet on display. I remembered thinking that what a great piece of history to own. My holy grail. Little did I know that a 1960's helmet was packed away less then a mile from my house and had been there for years! You never know what is around the corner. In speaking with the family (and original owner) I now believe that this helmet was given by the batboy to the family after the clinching game where the Sox won the 1967 Pennant. I am still working on that. Anyway, there is no doubt that this is a Yaz gamer.

scottanservitz
08-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Fraudfinder,
I have been following this helmet and your pursuit of authenticating it. Wow, you have to be really glad you put forth the effort and Mears and Dave did an outstanding job! This is what our hobby is all about. I really am glad it worked out for you!

Scott