Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dcgreg25
    • Jan 2008

Show us your game used college football jerseys

I have always loved college game used jerseys and have a few in my collection. I am curious to see all the great ones that are sure to be lurking around in this forum.

Here are my Tom Zbikowski and Sean Taylor GU jerseys to get things started.

• thegoalie
    • Nov 2006

Re: Show us your game used college football jerseys

Georgia Tech jerseys.

4 year starting QB Reggie Ball, 2003 ACC rookie of the year, team captain senior year. I have his senior year home jersey from 2006, captain's C with Gator Bowl patch. He was deemed academically ineligible and never played in the Gator Bowl, which was supposed to be his final game.

The jersey was worn in every home game, photomatched X1000. Several marks, hole repairs, etc.

Tashard Choice, starting RB, 2007 All-ACC first team, holds several Tech rushing records. Here's his backup away jersey worn just once against rival University of GA on 11/26/2006. Tons of wear, including red marks from UGA helmets and two holes repaired by equipment staff. Photomatched. He rushed for 146 yards and scored the only Tech touchdown that game.

Xavier McGuire, wide receiver, 2006 Gator Bowl patch, several marks including a very large hole that was patched and photomatched. (This is the jersey I wear to Tech games. The other ones never leave the wall)

Comment

• OleMiss
      • Jun 2007

1997 Deuce McAllister--- Freshman year...

Comment

• beavisrules
        • Sep 2006

Here's a couple of mine that I have pictures readily available of:

2001 Tom Lopienski ND jersey - looks a like fullback's jersey, as it has tons of wear (that is not readily apparent on this picture unfortunately).

2001 Fiesta Bowl Game Worn Jersey - this is a very unique jersey, in that the jerseys for this game featured a one-time modification (excluding the bowl patch obviously) of the regular season jerseys - it featured a change of the sleeves, where the typical monogram always seen on the champion-styled jerseys of this era was replaced with a shamrock - only football jersey in ND history with a shamrock on the sleeve, and only worn for this one game.

I'll try and post some more jerseys later. Great thread - looking forward to seeing some more jerseys.

Greg - nice Zibby jersey.
        -Mike

Always looking for Notre Dame memorabilia
        Private messages ARE enabled

Comment

• beavisrules
          • Sep 2006

Here's a better look at the unique sleeve of the Fiesta Bowl jersey for anyone interested:

-Mike

Comment

• halzeus
            • Apr 2008

Great thread! Here's my Jarrett Irons Michigan Wolverines 1994 Holiday Bowl game worn jersey:

Here are Tyrone Wheatley's freshman year jersey and pants:

Comment

• thegoalie
              • Nov 2006

Question for NCAA jersey collectors:

What are your thoughts on replacement nameplates? It's against NCAA regulations for a team to sell game jerseys with the nameplate intact, so the equipment staff removes them (how some of you have names on the back is a mystery to me).

My GA Tech jerseys are nameless. I have the opportunity to purchase replacement nameplates from the same vendor that Tech uses for their lettering. These nameplates will be 100% authentic replicas of the ones which were removed.

I'm struggling here... on one hand, I don't want to add anything to the jerseys that wasn't game worn. On the other hand, I feel that a blank spot where the name should be isn't doing the jersey any favors, either. Museums repair paintings all the time, right? I think this is a legitimate repair.

It broke my heart to watch the names being ripped from my jerseys in front of my very eyes. I really do want them restored in all of their nameplate glory.

Does the game worn collecting community frown on this sort of thing? Thoughts?

Comment

• tom1315
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by thegoalie

What are your thoughts on replacement nameplates? It's against NCAA regulations for a team to sell game jerseys with the nameplate intact, so the equipment staff removes them (how some of you have names on the back is a mystery to me).

My GA Tech jerseys are nameless. I have the opportunity to purchase replacement nameplates from the same vendor that Tech uses for their lettering. These nameplates will be 100% authentic replicas of the ones which were removed.

I'm struggling here... on one hand, I don't want to add anything to the jerseys that wasn't game worn. On the other hand, I feel that a blank spot where the name should be isn't doing the jersey any favors, either. Museums repair paintings all the time, right? I think this is a legitimate repair.

It broke my heart to watch the names being ripped from my jerseys in front of my very eyes. I really do want them restored in all of their nameplate glory.

I have a couple of NCSU gamers in my collection - no name plates. I think if the student - athlete has finished their eligibility - then it does not violate the NCAA's rules re selling their jersey with the name plate remaining - thus why some have them and others do not.

If they still are playing - the jersey cannot be sold by the university with the plate in tack. I would not re-attach the player's nameplates. You have outstanding provenance and pictures to match - all is perfect re the jersey's authenticity.

On the other hand they are "your jerseys" so if you feel they display better with the plates - by all means do it for it pleases you.

I do not think adding the nameplate would hurt the value if you chose to re-sell to another collector - could though thus why I would not.

Tom

Go Pack! (North Carolina State University)

Comment

• beavisrules
                  • Sep 2006

I personally would not re-attach anything to your jerseys - granted, that is easy for me to say given that ND has no names on the jerseys (at least since the mid-80s), but I think you leave the jersey intact exactly how you obtained it. Especially bowl jerseys, as those are few and far between in general. Just my two cents.
                  -Mike

Comment

• halzeus
                    • Apr 2008

Here is a link to the MEARS exclusive Jersey Grading &
                    Authentication Criteria web site.

It appears they subract from the grade whether the nameplate is replaced or if it is missing.

Comment

• thegoalie
                      • Nov 2006

• Nameplate missing (-2)
                      • Nameplate or name lettering restored (-3)
                      So it looks like, according to Mears, adding an authentic replica nameplate will earn me an extra point subtraction. Here's my solution:

I decided I will add the nameplates, but instruct the lettering shop to sew them on lightly so they can be easily removed in the future if need be.

By the way, I'm fairly certain that many college jerseys with names have been added after the fact. Not to single anyone out, but I noticed that we have a Miami jersey in this thread. It was probably purchased from www.collegejersey.com, and I've suspected that they add their own nameplates to all of their Miami jerseys.

Comment

• jwbelcher2
                        • Nov 2007

I wished I could find georgia tech jerseys that nice,Georgia tech is all I collect and I cant find any from bowl games. Those are really nice jerseys I would not do anything to them.

Comment

• thegoalie
                          • Nov 2006

Not to single anyone out, but I noticed that we have a Miami jersey in this thread. It was probably purchased from www.collegejersey.com, and I've suspected that they add their own nameplates to all of their Miami jerseys.
                          I apologize, I retract this statement. I checked Getty Images and those nameplates look exactly like the gamers. I sent CollegeJersey.com and e-mail asking how they're able to sell them with the names. Maybe they're authentic, maybe they're not, but I shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Comment

• thegoalie
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by jwbelcher2
                            I wished I could find georgia tech jerseys that nice,Georgia tech is all I collect and I cant find any from bowl games. Those are really nice jerseys I would not do anything to them.
                            Email me your phone number ASAP. jnachtigal@gmail.com

I may be able to acquire more Tech jerseys tomorrow afternoon. Amazing timing, right? I can probably get you a gamer in the $150 range if you're interested. I wouldn't rule out getting one with a bowl patch, but I can't guarantee it right now.

Comment

• beantown
                              • Nov 2005

Hazelus....nice Michigan jerseys...where is your Tom Brady...lol!

I am looking for one of his jerseys from his junior or senior year...ever come across one of those?

Originally posted by halzeus
                              Great thread! Here's my Jarrett Irons Michigan Wolverines 1994 Holiday Bowl game worn jersey:

Here are Tyrone Wheatley's freshman year jersey and pants:

Comment

Working...