PDA

View Full Version : Pine Tar Question

godwulf
06-29-2008, 11:45 PM
I picked up an Augie Ojeda LS M9 B267 today with an extremely sticky batch of pine tar on the handle, and the seller wasn't sure whether it was used last season or this one. I'm thinking that given the tackiness of the pine tar, the better bet is that it was used this season, but I was just curious...in your experience, how long does pine tar generally stay "fresh" like that? If Augie had used this bat in the post-season last year (which is actually when I think he started using this model) that's, what, a little over eight months ago? Would the pine tar likely still be sticky after eight months?

suave1477
06-30-2008, 12:53 AM
Godwulf pine tar can stay sticky for a long long time. I have bought bats years after the player used it and it still had some stickyness to it. Because of the pinetars density is doesnt try out quick. Think of it as oil and water if you spill water on a shirt an hour or 2 later its probably dry, if you spill oil on your shirt it probably would take up to a week if nor longer.

Again bear in mind how much you spill same goes for pine tar.

So since Pine tar is ten times thicker then oil it takes a very long time to dry out.

I bought a Yankees Knoblauch game used bat about 2 years ago and he hasnt played for them in years, Knoblauch used light to moderate pine tar it was still a bit sticky and if I touch it today still has a drop of stickyness too it.

stlbats
06-30-2008, 06:24 PM
I have bats that are a few years old and the tar wont come off on your hands anymore, but it is still sticky/tacky.

jason

stlbats@bellsouth.net