PDA

View Full Version : Hockey home white jerseys

jppopma
06-30-2008, 01:03 AM
Does anyone know what year the NHL made the switch back to the home darks? Hopefully I can double check my inventory to make sure I have it right. I think I have bought plenty and liosted them based on what the seller said and they may be wrong.

Did the minor hockey leagues make the same switches from home white to home darks?

Also what year did they change the NHL logo from orange to silver?

Thanks for any help in narrowing down the years on a few others that I have up in the air.

Sincityson
06-30-2008, 01:11 AM
If I'm not mistaken, I'm fairly sure the 2003-04 season was the first season that they wore the dark colored jerseys at home.

Sincityson
06-30-2008, 01:15 AM
If I'm not mistaken, I'm fairly sure the 2003-04 season was the first season that they wore the dark colored jerseys at home.

Forgot to mention, right after the strike, for the 05-06 season, the nhl logo was changed to silver. As for the AHL, I am not exactly sure when they changed, but it may have been the year after the NHL.

thegoalie
06-30-2008, 06:24 AM
They were still white at home in '03. It was the year after the strike, I'm fairly certain of that. I believe the strike was '04-'05, so the first year of the switch would have been '05-'06.

Just check wikipedia. I'd do it myself, but I'm in a rush to get to work!

jppopma
06-30-2008, 12:03 PM
I was thinking right around 2003-04 season myself, but I was not sure. I did a basic search on Wikipedia before posting, but they just had basic information. I also wonder when did they make the change from home dark to the lights back in the 70's (I think)..not that I am lucky enough to have any hockey jerseys that are that old, it would still be nice to know.

The NHL shield change after the lockout (2004-05 season) was where they made the NHL go up from lower left to upper right. The old logo always went upper left down to lower right. Before that, my jerseys all had the silver logos, and my older ones from the 80's and earlier 90's had orange logos. Maybe the old style was colored depending on team. That's why I hope someone has more details. Thanks alot.

thegoalie
06-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Since the 2003-04 season, NHL teams have typically worn the dark color at home and the white for road games, though there are occasional single-game exceptions.[1][2] The only element allowed by NHL rules to be interchangeable between the two uniforms is the pants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_uniform

Nathan
06-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Does anyone know what year the NHL made the switch back to the home darks? Hopefully I can double check my inventory to make sure I have it right. I think I have bought plenty and liosted them based on what the seller said and they may be wrong.

Did the minor hockey leagues make the same switches from home white to home darks?

Also what year did they change the NHL logo from orange to silver?

Thanks for any help in narrowing down the years on a few others that I have up in the air.

Can you provide any more info on the jerseys? I'm here, I know Barry Meisel is around on a fairly regular basis, and there's a few more hockey guys that stop in. I'm sure we'd all be glad to help if you have any specific questions that you want to ask.

jppopma
06-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Nathan,

We have figured out that 2003-04 was when the NHL switched back to the road darks. I am still wondering when they made the original switch from the road darks to road whites back in the 70's.

The other question that I have is what years did the NHL change their shield logo in the hem of the jerseys. The new design was incorporated after the lockout. Before that was the old design in silver, what years was the logo made in silver? Prior to that I have some older hockey jerseys where the NHL logo is in orange. I am not sure if all teams back then had orange NHL logos or if it depended on the team. I am also interested in knowing what year did they change from orange to silver logos to help date some of my jerseys.

Hope this helps and thanks for any information you can find.

Nathan
07-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Nathan,

We have figured out that 2003-04 was when the NHL switched back to the road darks. I am still wondering when they made the original switch from the road darks to road whites back in the 70's.

The first part is correct, with a few minor exceptions. I know during the past couple of years, a few teams wore their whites at home for a small number of games.

The answer to the second part, I believe, is to begin the 1971-72 season.

The other question that I have is what years did the NHL change their shield logo in the hem of the jerseys. The new design was incorporated after the lockout. Before that was the old design in silver, what years was the logo made in silver? Prior to that I have some older hockey jerseys where the NHL logo is in orange. I am not sure if all teams back then had orange NHL logos or if it depended on the team. I am also interested in knowing what year did they change from orange to silver logos to help date some of my jerseys.

The NHL logo (in orange, on the hem) became a leaguewide thing in 1990. A couple of teams had them for the second set of jerseys in the 1989-90 season, and by 1990-91 everyone had them.

The silver NHL logo, with the bar rising from bottom left to top right, began in 2005-06. Any team wearing a jersey on the ice starting at that time would also have had a Reebok flag logo on the back of the jersey just below the neck. In a few cases, a recycled blank jersey from the CCM/Koho era was used with a Reebok flag sewn over top of it.

Hope this helps and thanks for any information you can find.

You're most welcome, and if you have any specific jersey you have questions about, feel free to post it here. Like I said, I'm here, Barry Meisel is here, and a few other hockey guys are.

BarryMeisel
07-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Hi eveybody,

I'm on vacation this week and not in the office, but I did happen to stop into the Forum ...

NHL switched to home whites for the 1970-71 season, at which time the NY Rangers and California Seals became the first teams of the modern hockey era to put names on the backs of their jerseys (Rangers did it at home only, Seals put them on both home golds and road greens).

2003-04 season is correct for the recent switch to home darks. One of big reasons change was made was because with the addition of Third jerseys in the NHL, which were all dark with the exception of Toronto, road teams were complaining they had to carry two sets of jerseys on road trips (road darks and home whites in the event a home team wanted to wear its Third jersey). So with whites becoming the roads, only in Toronto did a road team have to worry about carrying two sets.

1989-90 was the season the NHL started adding its shield to the backs of jerseys, and it was not until 1990-91 that all teams had them.

That's what I can confirm off the top of my head ...

As far as more info on the NHL shields or the placement of the CCM and RBK branding (which also dates jerseys), I would need to refer to my office reference.

Regards,
Barry