PDA

View Full Version : Charities who may want old baseball cards

metsbats
06-30-2008, 05:39 PM
I have a large collection of baseball cards from 88-91. I'm on staycation this week and cleaning up the house and taking the ones i want (mostly Mets) and tossing aside the others. It's amazing to see that I went thru the painstaking process of putting into plastic sleeves such greats as Gregg Jefferies, Ben McDonald, Greg Vaughn, Ramon Martinez, Todd Zeile, Juan Gonzales, and Larry Walker.

I'm going to donate thousands of these common cards to a hospital in NYC. However if anyone knows of any other charities in their home state which can use baseball cards to give out to children please email me and let me know what's out there.

Thanks
-David
metsbats86@aol.com

joelsabi
06-30-2008, 05:53 PM
great idea. there must be a childrens hospital in new york. that would be nice thing to do. good luck.

metsbats
06-30-2008, 06:06 PM
I have the NYU medical center in NYC (the Aries foundation) who will take cards and memorabilia already.

If anyone know of any outside of New York I would like to be able send some cards out of state too.

Thanks joelsabi.

-David

bigtruck260
06-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Gregg Jefferies, Ben McDonald, Greg Vaughn, Ramon Martinez, Todd Zeile, Juan Gonzales, and Larry Walker.

Did you really put Ben McDonald in the same sentence as Larry Walker, Juan Gone and Zeile. C'mon David! Even Ziele had an above average career (18 seasons or something).

Anyway, many elementary schools in my area use old cards as incentive...and as a mathematical tool I am told.

I was selling a bulk box at a garage sale and got into a converstation with a guy who was buying them for his classroom. I thought it was a great idea, and will probably use the cards I keep as a learning game for my son.

metsbats
06-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Thanks Dave. I'll check w/ schools and perhaps camps.

You are correct I should actually take Zeile and Walker out of that sentence;)

David

metsbats
07-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Ironically the charitable organization never returned my email regarding card donations. However I found that the folks who run the Sports Card Forum happy to take boxes of cards from me so that they can do giveaways at this years National.

I just shipped 11 boxes of cards plus 3 boxes of 1990 Fleer wax packs this morning.

David

ndevlin
07-03-2008, 02:00 PM
If you are having trouble giving your cards away, give them to grade schools. I have several friends who are teachers and they give their 1st and 2nd graders my 1990 score cards for being good and they absolutely love it! Just a thought

ndevlin
07-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Whoops, sorry, just read the previous post.

metsbats
07-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Hi Nate,

Schools are on my list next. I have more 88-91 cards to last me a life time. Even with the 11 boxes I just sent to be given away at the National.

Thanks
David