PDA

View Full Version : GODWULF! I was just thinking....

bigtruck260
07-01-2008, 12:00 PM
About your Randy Johnson bat-signing story. Might be the most a-hole move that ever was from a potential HOF player while active at a public signing.

I know it is a sore spot - but those photos of your reaction we probably some of the funniest sequence shots I have seen. What a nasty, nasty man he is. His nickname of Unit is very fitting....

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=6300&page=6&highlight=randy+johnson+signing

Your thread was very memorable to me...and every time I see RJ, I shake my head.

godwulf
07-01-2008, 12:52 PM
I've often thought that if RJ were to do another signing, I'd be faced with a dilemna - whether to take that same bat up to him, lay it down, put a black Sharpie in his hand, and ask him, in a loud voice, to "please, please sign it in the right spot this time"...or just blow it off and take what I've got now.

I've tried to put a sort of a semi-positive spin on it, in the sense that the bat, as it is now, is a conversation piece - it tells a story (and not a very nice one) about the Unit. Would I rather that he had signed it as I requested? Of course. Would I be likely to put myself in the position of provoking Randy to anger in an attempt to get it signed correctly now? I don't know...it's something I'd have to really consider seriously.

Of course, if he picked up a blue Sharpie and signed it on the other side, I think that would be hilarious...and, at the same time, sad, of course.

Kirk Gibson is the DBacks' bench coach, and everyone always talks about what a great guy he is, and the one time I met him at an autograph signing, he seemed really pleasant. Nevertheless, whenever I see the man, I always remember the story told here by a board member about the time Gibson became very irate and abusive because somebody had one of his old batting helmets. Hard to put those stories completely out of your mind, once you've heard them.

bigtruck260
07-01-2008, 01:08 PM
...that would be Howard Wolf, and yes - his story is unforgettable.

Your story has an element of humor to it.

If Gibson yelled at me like that, I would have thrown his helmet in the nearest trash can...right in front of him.

tigerdale
07-01-2008, 01:09 PM
I bought that gibby helmet years ago from the board member here.....he told me that story......I've always wanted to bring it to a signing....but never had the 'guts' to!!!

godwulf
07-01-2008, 05:13 PM
I bought that gibby helmet years ago from the board member here.....he told me that story......I've always wanted to bring it to a signing....but never had the 'guts' to!!!

If Gibson does another signing while he's here, I'll let you know, and if you want to spring for the signing ticket, you can mail me the helmet, I'll get it signed, and ship it back at my own expense - worth it to see his reaction and possibly continue the saga. :D

tigerdale
07-01-2008, 06:50 PM
keep me posted, I just may do that..........you may have to have someone video taping in the background!!!

hblakewolf
07-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Once you confirm that the camera is indeed rollin', make sure you mention to Gibson that the helmet came from his "good friend" Tom Monty who owned the limo service in Detroit (the same limos Gibson shared with his lady friends after games). I suggest you then run for the hills!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

Fnazxc0114
07-01-2008, 10:27 PM
both of these stories are two of the funniest i have read on this site. i had the same wtf look on my face when nolan ryan tried to side panel my 7 no hitters ball that had the sweet spot ready for him to sign. he tried to sign under mike stanley. luckily i stopped him and he signed the sweet spot.