PDA

View Full Version : National To Baltimore?

orioles03
07-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Just Got Scd In Mail Inside An Article Saying Baltimore Possibly Canidate For 2010 How Many People From Mid-atlantic Area Would Go? I Know There Are Alot Of People From The Area I Think It Is A Good Idea.

allstarsplus
07-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Works for me. What dates are they proposing?

orioles03
07-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Just Says 2010 They Are Talkingto The Dealers To See What They Think But There Not Sure If The Convention Center Is Big Enough At Least They Have Plenty Of Hotel Rooms Around Considering They Are Bulding The Hotel That Connects To It If They Could Hold The Motortrend Car Show There I Dont See Why The Would Not Have Enough Room For The National Three Floors And Two Convention Centers Connected To Each Other Also Light Rail Drops Youoff Right Outside

orioles03
07-01-2008, 03:40 PM
HERES THE LINK
http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.com/article/nationalinbaltimore/

orioles03
07-01-2008, 03:44 PM
what about the dc convention center? from what i've seen while being lost in dc it's pretty big every time i go to a wizards game we always get lost around the convention center trying to find 295

mr.miracle
07-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Just Says 2010 They Are Talkingto The Dealers To See What They Think But There Not Sure If The Convention Center Is Big Enough At Least They Have Plenty Of Hotel Rooms Around Considering They Are Bulding The Hotel That Connects To It If They Could Hold The Motortrend Car Show There I Dont See Why The Would Not Have Enough Room For The National Three Floors And Two Convention Centers Connected To Each Other Also Light Rail Drops Youoff Right Outside

With the expansion of the convention center and all the additional hotels in the area it is certainly large enough to house the National. While I have never been to a National and would like to go, I am not sure how size is even an issue in this case. I would love to see it in Baltimore.

Vintagedeputy
07-01-2008, 04:21 PM
I could be tempted to go...

89ASMVPBats
07-01-2008, 09:20 PM
I would definitely go. I went to last year's National in Cleveland and it was housed in a nice facility, but isolated out near the airport. Bo Jackson was several hours late for his scheduled signing and, even with all of the wonderful items and dealers (I checked out every booth there) I eventually ran out of things to do before Bo arrived. The great thing about the Baltimore Convention Center is that when you need to kill time between signings or just want a break, the Inner Harbor is just steps away. I went to the MAB Celebrity Services/Ironclad event at the Convention Center in January 2007 and I've gotta tell you the crabcake at Phillips was much better than the hot dog at the concession stand. Plus, for those coming from outside of the area, the Light Rail connects to BWI and there is a stop across the street from the Convention Center, not to mention there are tons of hotels within a block or two and Camden Yards is across the street.

Drew
eighty9asmvpbats@yahoo.com

corsairs22
07-01-2008, 10:03 PM
I'd love to see it in Baltimore. It's pretty easy to get into and out of Baltimore by car, plane and rail. And it's located within a day's driving from Cleveland and most big cities up and down the coast.

Fnazxc0114
07-01-2008, 10:22 PM
is going to the national something i should plan on doing in my lifetime? is there a bunch of g/u at good prices at the national. i dont really do cards since i completed my 56 topps set. well the set has lost a few cards to buy g/u but what can you do.

orioles03
07-01-2008, 10:35 PM
all we can do is hope they read this thread i'm 5 min away from convention center people coming up could also go up and watch the ravens traning camp less than an hour away maybe the o's will have home games i doubt it but maybe, they try to schedule around big events so they will have hotel rooms .also opening in august the biggest hotel in baltimore which is connected to the covention center you dont have to carry your stuff around all day?

geoff
07-02-2008, 02:48 AM
I would love it being in my Home Town as well.I would be there in a second.

bigtime59
07-02-2008, 07:43 AM
A day trip to the National that didn't involve flying?!? Count me in!

skyking26
07-03-2008, 09:45 AM
is going to the national something i should plan on doing in my lifetime? is there a bunch of g/u at good prices at the national. i dont really do cards since i completed my 56 topps set. well the set has lost a few cards to buy g/u but what can you do.
I attend the National whenever it is in Cleveland or Chicago. I have also attended in Atlanta and STL. Been to about 12 in my life and will attend end of month in Chicago.

As a collector, it is highly recommended you attend; given what I collect I can blow thru it in a long day, but it generally takes a good 2 long days to go thru it. It is the only large show I would recommend attending from the standpoint of entertainment (seeing sports memorabila of all kinds in a huge setting), and interacting with other collectors you know. I see all the equipment people typically like Mediema, Steinmetz, Taube, Zane Burns, etc., and stop and talk.

Over the last few years the shows have centered in the Cleveland/Chicago arenas, and I am guessing this is because the powers within feel that it is more available to the spenders. Honestly though, ignoring the Northeastern US with New York, etc. is beyond me, and they have not been as responsive to the west coast either which baffles.

From a game used standpoint, I did not feel the last 2 shows I was at offered much. Those that had GU seemed overpriced at best, and I had better luck selling thru GUU auction than I did selling to dealers at the show...