PDA

View Full Version : Randy Johnson tosses gamer glove into crowd

tknorm
07-02-2008, 08:13 AM
We went to the D-backs/Brewers game last night. Randy Johnson pitched and got roughed up. As he walked off the filed, he tossed his glove to a kid sitting right over the dugout. We were wondering if the kid knows what he got!

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h9Cl1aq7oT1yv_I2DiM2Iwb9gvzgD91LG9HG0

godwulf
07-02-2008, 09:01 AM
We went to the D-backs/Brewers game last night. Randy Johnson pitched and got roughed up. As he walked off the filed, he tossed his glove to a kid sitting right over the dugout. We were wondering if the kid knows what he got!

I think even Randy is starting to realize that he's more than likely playing his last season of professional Baseball, and may (as hard as it is to imagine) be starting to loosen up a bit, at least when it comes to kids.

godwulf
07-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Wait a minute...I was thinking batting glove, for some reason. He tossed a kid his fielding glove?

Behind the dugout is usually where friends and families of the players, and team executives, etc, sit...not to be overly cynical, but I'd be willing to bet that that wasn't just any kid RJ flipped the glove to. It was probably either one of his own, or the kid of somebody he knows.

tknorm
07-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Yes, it was a fielding glove. Based on his reaction, and his sister, who called several people, and his parents, and then how he stodd and showed it off to the crowd, I'd say he did not know Randy. He had a look of total shock and then crazy happiness. It was nice to see. Randy really didn't look after he tossed it.

godwulf
07-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Has anyone ever heard of a pitcher doing something like that? I can't shake the feeling that this might have been Randy's way of saying, "I'm done"...and not just for the night.

orioles03
07-02-2008, 03:12 PM
george sherill did the other night
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.orioles01jul01,0,4465913.story

orioles03
07-02-2008, 03:14 PM
a player i'm not going to name when he was with the orioles flipped his glove in the stands it landed in a kids lap after he did that he asked me to go get the glove back because it had pine tar on the inside of the glove so i had to go trade the kid for the glove

treant985
07-02-2008, 04:31 PM
At a minor league game last night, a player tossed his batting gloves into the stands. They landed in the lap of a woman who was reading a magazine, and she threw them back at the player! He later tossed them to a kid who was sitting a few rows farther back, but it was funny to see someone throw some game-used stuff back at the player.

Repro77
07-02-2008, 05:15 PM
I saw David Wells do this once in Yankee stadium. Got roughed up, tossed it into the crowd as he walked into the dugout.

godwulf
07-02-2008, 07:05 PM
So, apparently, it's some kind of "getting rid of bad mojo" thing, more than anything.

chakes89
07-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Cliff Lee did it a few years ago

The guy that caught it didn't even look like he wanted it

bigtime59
07-03-2008, 08:49 AM
So, apparently, it's some kind of "getting rid of bad mojo" thing, more than anything.

Apparently so. After bad at-bats, I've seen several pairs of Orioles batting gloves tossed over the dugout into the first row in my section this year...unfortunately, our seats are in the sixth row. :(