PDA

View Full Version : Economy effecting your collecting?

jake33
07-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Just wondering if the economy had an effect on anyone's collecting?

For me, it is really tough to say, becasue if I want an item bad enough but don't have the money, I'll sell what I have to to obtain it.

jake33
07-09-2008, 12:22 PM
On lower end items, i would say that the economy has effected it. On things that I am on the fence about, I am less likely to go after it

mr.miracle
07-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Just wondering if the economy had an effect on anyone's collecting?

For me, it is really tough to say, becasue if I want an item bad enough but don't have the money, I'll sell what I have to to obtain it.

I would say that the economy has definitely had an effect in two ways. I drive 100 plus miles a day both ways to work so the gas prices are killing me even with my little 35 miles per gallon Toyota. The other problem is that even when I try to sell stuff lately, unless I am heavily discounting items way below what they had been selling for in auctions, ebay etc. a year ago, I cannot seem to move things quickly to buy other items.

While I have heard people say that the economy has been good for buyers because people are selling quick at highly discounted prices, it really has been hurting the seller in many cases as you just cannot seem to get solid value on the sale at least in comparison to a year or more ago.

joelsabi
07-09-2008, 12:45 PM
there is this guy selling his entire barry bonds collection including 20 game used item at really low prices.

mr.miracle
07-09-2008, 12:49 PM
there is this guy selling his entire barry bonds collection including 20 game used item at really low prices.

Where is he selling this at? Ebay, privately etc?

mariner_gamers
07-09-2008, 12:57 PM
I have seen more and more one-of-kind, rare items popping up. The prices I am paying are hard to judge since many items have not been for sale for quite a while. I would say overall I am seeing good deals on more common items and folks are willing to part with items they had put away for years. Bottom line by the end of this month I will have added close to 30 game bats in 90 days. Many of these are of solid former/current Mariners. That is about a 9% increase to my collection. I have not added 30 bats in a YEAR since about 1997 when Burns and Taube used to blow them out at 5 for $100. Definately a buyers market.......

Thanks!
Davis

3arod13
07-09-2008, 12:59 PM
No...but the wife is :)

yanks12025
07-09-2008, 02:56 PM
The economy aint really hurting me right now because theres nothing on ebay also no major auction houses are offering any nice looking hall of famer bats, so im just going to save my money for the upcoming Mastro auction.

jgoldstein2000
07-09-2008, 03:04 PM
When Longoria bats are going for around $2500 on MLB.com it's hard for me to imagine what collecting is like in a strong economy. Geez.

camarokids
07-09-2008, 03:15 PM
When Longoria bats are going for around $2500 on MLB.com it's hard for me to imagine what collecting is like in a strong economy. Geez.

The final price was $2710.00 ..... :eek: ......

That is just crazy !

yanks12025
07-09-2008, 03:17 PM
$2710 thats alot. You can buy one on ebay for $450 which i still think is alot. His bats would be great to put away but you can already tell there will be alot of them on the market.

AWA85
07-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Was that the pink one I am guessing? Not to justify the price completely if it was the pink one, but it would be pretty cool to have his only rookie pink bat. Far different than any other one that hits the market.

Back to reality though, that is a lot of money!