PDA

View Full Version : cal ripken letter

orioles03
07-09-2008, 09:13 PM
i posted this in the autograph forum but i figure this is a better place.
i have a cal ripken letter he wrote to a player it is explaning some thing he could so when he retires from baseball and cal is asking if he would be interested in going into business with him cal says he thought of things after baseball he was he started planning 10 years before he retired. it is signed by cal and then it has a ps note on the bottom and signed cal so it is signed twice. what would something like this be worth? i'm looking at selling it but i want to get a ballpark area. the letter is bent in some places it is two pages long it was in players locker and he was going to throw it away and he gave it to me. he played in majors almost 20 years
pat
orioles03@verizon.net

orioles03
07-09-2008, 09:56 PM
it's more talking about investing in minor league ball parks and teams with former players and investors

Swoboda4
07-10-2008, 07:11 AM
Hello Pat,
I collect handwritten baseball letters and I can tell you that as valuable as I know they are,it is unfortunately a buyers market. There is a HOF Rube Marquard letter on Ebay that has attempted to be sold for about a year now and its price has been as low as $30 and as high as $75. A HOF Monte Irvin handwritten note(on MLB stationary) also has been on ebay at $40 buy-it-now for about a year. Yours however,is a different story . I would first have to ask is it a 2 page "note"(8x5 or smaller) or a 2 page letter(8x10 or bigger)? When he signed it did he write his full name or "Cal"? Is there a date on it? The fact that he gave it to you directly is extremely important and increases the value(providence). Is it possible to get a digital photo and show it? If its a "letter" and you put it on ebay it will probably sell for $100- $500. If you authenticate it and go to a auction house it will probably go from $500- $1,000 (not worth the effort ) Recently ebay seller Siriusports1 sold a Ty Cobb 5 page letter for just $1,360 .In my opinion not it true value by any stretch. Unfortunately collecting letters ,a great hobby, is competing with too many other hobby interests dollars and isn't getting the attention it deserves. My advise is to not sell it if you can.
Robert(see below for an exception to the above)

Houston Chronicle:
Hank Aaron's letter sold at auction

A letter handwritten by Hank Aaron early in his professional career sold for $24,150 at Hunt Auctions in Exton, Pa., over the weekend, setting what is believed to be a record for a modern player's penned note.

ONE PAGE OF THE COBB LETTER:
http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/23000093/Images/24/220229.jpg

orioles03
07-10-2008, 09:20 AM
whats your email address i send you scans and you can hudge from there.
orioles03@verizon.net

orioles03
07-10-2008, 09:36 AM
it's signed cal ripken jr and then he wrote on the botton "just a little something too think about" cal

orioles03
07-10-2008, 11:37 AM
swoboda4
the letter is dated june 21,2005 it is 8.5x11 on ripken baseball letter head he pokes fun at julio franco and how he started planning for his life after baseball 10 years before he retired among other things
pat
orioles03@verizon.net

orioles03
07-10-2008, 03:54 PM
thanks to everyone who emailed me .what do you think would be the best way to sell this ebay,auction or selling it outright i really don't want to go through the hassle of auction to much time, ebay i really dont want to put it on there because of personal info inside like phone number any help would be great and what do you think the value would be to start at? thanks in advance
pat
orioles03@verizon.net

mr.miracle
07-10-2008, 07:07 PM
thanks to everyone who emailed me .what do you think would be the best way to sell this ebay,auction or selling it outright i really don't want to go through the hassle of auction to much time, ebay i really dont want to put it on there because of personal info inside like phone number any help would be great and what do you think the value would be to start at? thanks in advance
pat
orioles03@verizon.net

Reportedly the for sale section new and improved will be up within the next week or two. I would try that through this forum first before I went elsewhere. I would probably try ebay next and perhaps try to cover up phone numbers on the letter before posting the scans on ebay. I would temporarily cover them not deface the letter or anything. As for a starting price, I would probably want to obtain a minimum of $500.00 for this item so I would either start the auction low with a reserve or start it with a $500.00 price and a higher buy it now with best offer but that is up to you. Given the rarity of Ripken letters out there and that fact that some of this at least is penned in Cal's own handwriting with double signatures, this item should command a nice return.

Thanks

orioles03
07-10-2008, 11:20 PM
Reportedly the for sale section new and improved will be up within the next week or two. I would try that through this forum first before I went elsewhere. I would probably try ebay next and perhaps try to cover up phone numbers on the letter before posting the scans on ebay. I would temporarily cover them not deface the letter or anything. As for a starting price, I would probably want to obtain a minimum of $500.00 for this item so I would either start the auction low with a reserve or start it with a $500.00 price and a higher buy it now with best offer but that is up to you. Given the rarity of Ripken letters out there and that fact that some of this at least is penned in Cal's own handwriting with double signatures, this item should command a nice return.

Thanks
if i did post it under ebay what category would it go under baseball auto's i'm not sure putting it on ebay would garner enough interest maybe i'm wrong?
orioles03@verizon.net

orioles03
07-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Here Are Scans I Blocked Out Name And Phone Numbers Sorry If It's To Big

bigtruck260
07-11-2008, 02:48 PM
I have letters like this from Lou Brock - inviting me to go on a cruise with him and his family...I think he sent out 100 or so.

He signed every one. I don't think it's tailored to a specific person, other than the name at the top.