PDA

View Full Version : George Brett 1977-79 bat on Ebay

shoremen44
07-10-2008, 09:16 AM
I looked up some comments about the seller on the forum and there are some questions...

what do you guys think about this bat?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110269174499&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

thanks

CampWest
07-10-2008, 10:50 AM
I think there is a bit of question over the seller. And not sure why shipping is $46...

I dunno... I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling when I look at this bat. Not sure what it is specifically, but its a gut feeling.

Maybe I'm gutty because of the seller, I mean you look at the other items he's sold and they don't inspire confidence.

Yount "gamer" hat for $1, etc.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110262241530

Seller reputation aside, the most tangible thing that bothers me is the grain of the bat. It doesnt look high quality enough in my opinion. I'm counting about 16 grains, and they are inconsistent widths, where most Brett gamers I am familiar with are in the 12 grains range and generally show consistent grain width.

Though I could be totally off on that as this is an earlier H&B and I am more familiar with the Louisville branded bats.

juanencarnacionfan
07-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Its Probably Fake. The gloves of albert pujols prince fielder and some others look really fake. Pujols doesnt even wear black gloves all he wears are white.

shoremen44
07-10-2008, 01:31 PM
I think I am going to stay away anyway... the seller has been a little rude in emails...

scottanservitz
07-10-2008, 01:48 PM
To me the tar doesn't look right. I got my Brett from Andy Benish and his site has a section on Brett bats and the characteristics. He is one of the most knowledgable collectors/dealers out there on Brett bats. His site is where you need to go. My bat is the 1990 on his site and is one of my grails in my collection.

Scott

Tay1038
07-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Hi Bert,

Just to give you my two cents. I was considering bidding on this bat the first time he listed it. At the time he had a few other bats up. Ripken and Piazza I believe. It was very obvious he is using another eBay id to shill bid his items. Sooooo… buyer beware!!!

ndevlin
07-10-2008, 03:50 PM
All I know is this bat was on Ebay earlier and went well over $1,000! I want to say $1,700. But he has relisted it because of a non paying ebayer.

ndevlin
07-10-2008, 03:58 PM
But, then again, if I had shill bidded on my own item and accidentally won it, I guess I'd relist it as well. Only speculation though, Im not saying he did that.

Hi Bert,

Just to give you my two cents. I was considering bidding on this bat the first time he listed it. At the time he had a few other bats up. Ripken and Piazza I believe. It was very obvious he is using another eBay id to shill bid his items. Sooooo… buyer beware!!!

10thMan
07-10-2008, 06:48 PM
There have been several threads regarding this seller(s) If this is one of the guys from Maineville Ohio, stay far, far away. I got SMOKED on a Gwynn Bat (that I actually showed Gwynn) about 2 years ago.

I believe the auction for the Brett bat started out with the city (mainville Ohio) & now it says "midwest"

This Bat has been listed several times in the last year, it`s not the "re-listing" that concerns me.

Run, don`t walk...
Sean

shoremen44
07-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Guys....

I received two very nice emails from the seller...lol...

Someone has a bit of an attitude... and since he obviously reads the forums... I was able to show I was not shill bidding as another forum member dropped from the bidding, and anyone who asked I sent them pics of my MAC bat and was forthright the entire way...

I guess since my ebay and forum name are the same he felt like taking out his frustration on all of us calling it like we see it on me...

enjoy the read....

Dear shoremen44,

Hi there, your posts on forum is pure comic relief in which you guys don't have no $ want everything for nothing!! I was rude to you bcuzz I would not accept the slap in the face offer of a mac bat and a lousy 200 in which probably paying by paypal which is another 8.00 deducted!! I'm shill bidding you guys are f'ing nuts as look at what my auctions ended at look at feedback and you were accused of recently shill bidding on your mac bat as that was at shit price then goes up nearly a 1,000 clean your own closet out before you start cleaning someone else's!! Your own forum moderator is another classic selling an aaron brewers crap junk jersey for over 5,500 even he admitted would not pass authentication, but he can't stand to lose $ on item just pawns off on another unsuspecting collector what a racket!!! Also funny is that the main brett bat on vintage bats.com was MINE A T85 84-85 AUTOGRAPHED and forum member saying my bat does not match up to the ones on there lol's!!!!!

- manica71

Dear shoremen44,

I did forget to say that you forum f's also did not get it right saying I'm from ohio as I'm out of WI do your home work before you guys start commenting on peoples shit as were you shill bidding your mac bat? If I were to shill bid I would of bidded a whole lot more than a lousy 1,900 on a brett bat that's worth considerable more, but I do not do that I let the fleabayers bid on it which is low!! did you like when people were attacking your item and the answer is no who are these f'ing people get lives, go to work, you guys are worst than a womans sewing group!!!!!

- manica71

CampWest
07-13-2008, 01:27 PM
thing that bothers me is the grain of the bat. It doesnt look high quality enough in my opinion. I'm counting about 16 grains, and they are inconsistent widths, where most Brett gamers I am familiar with are in the 12 grains range and generally show consistent grain width.

See, here is another Brett bat, the grains on this one, 10 or 11 grains of consistent width.

http://i10.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/fd/cb/bcbc_0.JPG

CampWest
07-13-2008, 01:28 PM
See, here is another Brett bat, the grains on this one, 10 or 11 grains of consistent width.

http://i10.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/fd/cb/bcbc_0.JPG

http://i8.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/fd/cb/c388_1.JPG

flex114
07-13-2008, 11:21 PM
To me the tar doesn't look right. I got my Brett from Andy Benish and his site has a section on Brett bats and the characteristics. He is one of the most knowledgable collectors/dealers out there on Brett bats. His site is where you need to go. My bat is the 1990 on his site and is one of my grails in my collection.

Scott

Scott, is your 1990 bat on the site the first C271 bat pictured? If so, would you be willing to sell it? Thanks.

dpm
07-14-2008, 07:21 AM
I can't comment on the Brett bat, because I'm not familiar enough...but I have purchased from this seller before. The bat I purchased was everything he claimed. Admittedly, I was sceptical at first (it was one of my first gu bat purchases), the bat was $1000+ with no written authentication. Once I received it, it looked good to me, but because of my inexperience, I sent it out for authentication & it came back as the seller had stated.
Just my 2 cents.

scottanservitz
07-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Flex114,
My Brett is the 3rd from the top. It looks like it has little tar on it, but it has a nice amount...as Andy stated, should match the usage. It has all the traits that a Brett should have. As of this time, it is not for sale. Thanks for the offer.
Scott

JimCaravello
07-14-2008, 04:06 PM
CampWest - the pictures you have above are pictures of the bat in my collection..............just an fyi........

CampWest
07-14-2008, 04:49 PM
CampWest - the pictures you have above are pictures of the bat in my collection..............just an fyi........

Huh, Then your bat pictures are being used in an ebay auction, which is where I linked the images from... Hopefully you are selling this bat and they are not stolen images.

http://cgi.ebay.com/George-Brett-Game-Used-1985-Bat-Louisville-Slugger-B390_W0QQitemZ280245874388

Just to make sure we're all clear, I was stating that the grain on the bat in this auction, your bat, looks more like professional stock to me than the bat in the original auction, which has way too many grains.

JimCaravello
07-15-2008, 08:13 AM
Yes - that's my bat and I am selling it - so no one has stolen the pics!! Thanks!