PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT: Puckett Suffers Stroke

Eric
03-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Hall of Fame Outfielder Puckett Suffers Stroke
Former Twins Star Undergoing Surgery in Arizona

FORT MYERS, Fla. (Mar. 5) - Hall of Famer Kirby Puckett had a stroke at his Arizona home Sunday and was taken to a hospital for surgery, the Minnesota Twins announced from their spring training camp.

The 44-year-old Puckett, who led the Twins to World Series titles in 1987 and 1991, was taken to a Scottsdale hospital.

"The Minnesota Twins and major league baseball ask fans to keep Kirby and his family in their thoughts and prayers," the team said in a statement.

Ron Shapiro, who was Puckett's agent, said he had been in contact with Puckett's family Sunday but would not confirm his whereabouts.

"We're all praying for his recovery," Shapiro said.

Twins center fielder Torii Hunter sat out Minnesota's exhibition game against the Red Sox after learning of Puckett's stroke.

After the game, team officials said they didn't immediately have any further information on Puckett's condition.

"The doctors said that if he has good luck, he'll be all right. You have to keep the faith," former manager Tom Kelly said.

Said manager Ron Gardenhire: "Our hearts and our prayers are all with Puck. We know it's a tough situation out there."

Puckett, who broke in with Minnesota in 1984, had a career batting average of .318. Glaucoma forced the Gold Glove center fielder and 10-time All-Star to retire in 1996 after 12 seasons with the Twins when he went blind in one eye.

Three years ago, he was cleared of assault charges after being accused of groping a woman at a Twin Cities restaurant.

Puckett has maintained relationships with many people in the Twins' organization. The team tried unsuccessfully to get him to come to spring training as a special instructor this year, something he hasn't done since 2002.

Another former Twins great, Tony Oliva, a special instructor during spring training, said he has been worried about Puckett's weight.

"The last few times I saw him, he kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger," Oliva said. "And we worried about him. I saw him about five months ago. He always tries to invite me. He says, `Come to Arizona, and we'll play some golf."'

Puckett is divorced and has two children.

03-05-06 16:48 ET