PDA

View Full Version : Whatever Happened to Old Timers Games?

mr.miracle
07-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Does anyone have any idea whatever happened to Old Timers Games? I remember growing up watching these legends events where the baseball hall of famers and old timers would take the field for a couple of innings and play games. Do they do this anywhere anymore? Does anyone know if these were cancelled due to lack of interest by the fans or the players or both, health concerns for the players, or another reason? I know I have not seen anything about this for years.

Thanks

yanks12025
07-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Yankees do it every year but its only yankee players playing.

suave1477
07-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Yankees also do another one at Staten Island Yankees they have an Old Timers Day.

Also the Brooklyn Cyclones have one after the Season where they have Retired Semi Star players come and play a game.

camarokids
07-11-2008, 01:01 PM
There was one in Clearwater , FL this past Spring . See thread below.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=14864

mr.miracle
07-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Do they generally ever have any that non Yankee players play in? It looks like even the one in florida earlier this year featured Wade Boggs as the top drawing card.

trsent
07-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Does anyone have any idea whatever happened to Old Timers Games? I remember growing up watching these legends events where the baseball hall of famers and old timers would take the field for a couple of innings and play games. Do they do this anywhere anymore? Does anyone know if these were cancelled due to lack of interest by the fans or the players or both, health concerns for the players, or another reason? I know I have not seen anything about this for years.

Thanks

Didn't Gaylord Perry used to pitch at those game and he would carry a big jar of Vaseline to the mound with him and everyone laughed?

In 20 years will Barry Bonds come to home plate with a giant sized syringe with him and everyone will laugh?

suave1477
07-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Do they generally ever have any that non Yankee players play in? It looks like even the one in florida earlier this year featured Wade Boggs as the top drawing card.

Ok so what Yankee are you talking about????

Boggs is a Red Sox:mad:

mr.miracle
07-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Ok so what Yankee are you talking about????

Boggs is a Red Sox:mad:

Didn't Mr. Boggs suit up for you guys from 93-97? I know he played for both the Evil Empire and the Red Soxxxxxx but did not know he was hated by Yankee Nation for having played the bulk of his career eating fried Chicken for the Red Soxxxxxx.

metsbats
07-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Here's a photos of Boggs at the 2005 Yankees Old timers game.

He's certainly a great part of Yankee history being on the 1996 WSC team.

-David

camarokids
07-12-2008, 01:02 PM

I don't know if you knew?

Boggs was born and raised in Tampa , Florida. Played his little league ball in Tampa. Plus hit his 3000th Hit as a Devil Ray.

He is quite a popular guy around here and most likely a good draw at the gate .

Unfortunately , there are a lot of Yankee fans around here in the Tampa Bay Area (Red Sox fans as well). :D:D:D

Maybe they are all closet fans , that throw on their Yanks jersey only when they are in town ? :eek::eek::eek:

I got my catchers mitt on , I am ready for the heat....:D

both-teams-played-hard
07-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Unfortunately , there are a lot of Yankee fans around here in the Tampa Bay Area (Red Sox fans as well).

My favorite bumper sticker down south: WE DON'T CARE HOW YOU DO IT UP NORTH

ryan4fregosi
07-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Why aren't there any more Old Timers Games?

Because 30 general managers get night sweats thinking about Ron Swoboda popping a hamstring and filing a lawsuit en route to the turf.