PDA

View Full Version : Ball Marks on Game Used Bats

joelsabi
06-04-2008, 08:38 PM
to the many game used bat owners

i just read that ball marks fade. has anyone seen this happen. how long before such fading occurs and is there anyway of preventing it or diminishing the chance of it happening.

thanks in advance

joelsabi
06-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Wish for some input. just want to know how avoidable is the fading of ball marks on bats.

If the ball marks are going to disappear with a high degree of certainty and unavoidable, i would discount this as a trait on a bat in future purchases. so far all my bats have seen no fading of ball marks since i purchased them some as old as 12 year ago purchases.

Dewey2007
06-05-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm no expert but I had my old bat collection stored away in a closet for almost 20 years and there was no noticeable fading of any ball marks that were on any of the bats. Granted while in storage they were kept from any elements like sun and moisture so I'm sure that helped tremendously.

Hopefully other forum members can share their experiences.

joelsabi
06-05-2008, 11:30 AM
I'm no expert but I had my old bat collection stored away in a closet for almost 20 years and there was no noticeable fading of any ball marks that were on any of the bats. Granted while in storage they were kept from any elements like sun and moisture so I'm sure that helped tremendously.

Hopefully other forum members can share their experiences.

Lots of Ball marks shows that a bat has great game use and is very appealing on a bat. Ball marks are on the surface of the bat instead of indentations like cleats and ball seam marks. Would be nice to have input of forum members who display their game used bats besides those who keep them in storage.

geoff
07-11-2008, 07:17 PM
I really don't remember if this was talked about before or not.How long on Game Used Bats do the Ball and Color and Rack Marks and Tar on a Game Used Bat stay on there for.How many years I am trying to say here.How do you protect the Bat from the Marks not fading into the Bat or just going away in General.Also the Number Marking like the Numbers and Weights of the Bat.Do the Bats Tubes work or 1 of those on the Wall 4 Wood Display Glass Cases.Thanks for the help and knowledge in advance.

Thanks
Geoff

10thMan
07-12-2008, 01:47 AM
Geoff, I know some of the Ball leather (marks) fall off the Bats after awhile. Rack marks probably tend to stay longer, specially those heavy fat streaks. I`m not so sure about color, but I keep Bats away from direct UV light. I tend to believe handling & storage determine how long some markings last. I always go for use characteristics, Tar application, Knob Specs, Seam marks etc...They won`t be going away anytime soon!

How many years? I can`t say, maybe someone else can.

Sean

joelsabi
07-12-2008, 07:28 AM
Geoff, I know some of the Ball leather (marks) fall off the Bats after awhile. Rack marks probably tend to stay longer, specially those heavy fat streaks. I`m not so sure about color, but I keep Bats away from direct UV light. I tend to believe handling & storage determine how long some markings last. I always go for use characteristics, Tar application, Knob Specs, Seam marks etc...They won`t be going away anytime soon!

How many years? I can`t say, maybe someone else can.

Sean

i am glad you replied. i asked this question a month ago with no reply so i thought maybe its a nonissue. but if they will eventually fade, i would not personally consider any bat that only had ball marks. correct me if i am wrong but many bats for sale have just ball marks and look game used only because of the ball marks.

going by use charateristics like pine tar, mota , seam marks and knob specs seem like the safe way to evaluate a bat.

so my question to the many game used owners in this forum is does bat marks matter to you and factor ball marks as game use factor in your purchases.

joelsabi
07-12-2008, 07:33 AM
so my question to the many game used owners in this forum is does bat marks matter to you and factor ball marks as game use factor in your purchases.

sorry this in not clear.

1) Do ball marks matter to you when you buy a bat?
2) Do you consider ball marks when evaluating the amount of game use a bat has?
3) Would you buy a games used bat whose only visible markings of game use are ball marks?

geoff
07-12-2008, 02:22 PM
I love a Bat that has Ball Marks and that is one main thing I look for when Trading or Buying a Game Used Bat.I also look at the Handle or Tape Job if there is one also.Tar is always a plus for me.My Best Friend calls me Pin Tar all the Time because he knows that I love Bats Caked with Tar all over the Bat if possible.

bigtruck260
07-12-2008, 09:50 PM
I just looked at all of my bats. With the exception of the issued bats, all of them have at least 1 seam impression on them. Even the lightest hitters I have in my collection (Eckstein, DeShields) have seam marks.

I doubt those will ever go away.

CampWest
07-13-2008, 11:49 AM
1) Do ball marks matter to you when you buy a bat?
2) Do you consider ball marks when evaluating the amount of game use a bat has?
3) Would you buy a games used bat whose only visible markings of game use are ball marks?

1 - Yes, to an extent, if they help show moderate - heavy use or support evaluation of authenticity.
2 - Yes
3 - Maybe, depends on hitter - If hitter doesnt tape or tar bats, then there may not be much else to go on. In most cases, no.

That said, ball marks can help make a piece unique... When you get a nice ink transfer of "Rawl" or a mlb logo, it adds to the coolness of the item and can really help you find a photo match. That said, I havent had any luck matching this logo imprint to a photo match.

http://home.everestkc.net/wescampbell/PCollection/Butler2Logo.jpg

AWA85
07-13-2008, 12:36 PM
CampWest may I ask whos bat is that in your picture? It wouldn't happen to be a Wily Mo Pena bat would it?