PDA

View Full Version : Rawlings bats red vs blue stripes

tknorm
07-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Does anyone know why some Rawlings bats have red stripes and some have blue stripes? Does it mean anything?

Thanks,
Tommy

bubbrubb25
07-13-2008, 03:52 PM
I think its just for team colors, I forget whos bat it was but it was a game used rockies bat with a purple stripe.

TNTtoys
07-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Yes, they are team colors. For example, I have had 3 Lee Mazzilli bats at one time or another. The royal blue stripe was from his Pirate days; the black was from his Pirate days; the navy blue was from his brief tour with the Yankees.
One thing that may be worth mentioning -- on Mets bats, the stripe was royal blue; however, when special bats were made up for the post season, they had an orange stripe -- still team colors, but a difference that denoted something special. May be worth finding out any special variations like this one.

allstarsplus
07-13-2008, 06:48 PM
I have seen some players like Ryan Zimmerman who doesn't use Rawlings much, but he had a few of the red ring bats for home games and a dark blue ring for away games.

Remember the Mark McGwire Oakland A's green ring bats and his Cardinals red ring bats. I always liked the blonde bats without the varnish where you could see the lathe striations.

suave1477
07-13-2008, 07:16 PM
I recently saw a Fernando Tatis Game Used bat - used during his time now with the Mets and it has a Red Ring around it which I found to be odd, I also noticed he has a weird way of taping the knob.

He makes it super thick, it almost looked like he put some kind of plastic ring around the knob and then taped over several times to make it really thick.
It was thicker then a Sheffield bat.

woodbat
07-13-2008, 10:59 PM
I asked these questions on another forum and still donot have all the answers.

Does Adirondack/Rawlings have a standard list of which bat ring colors are applied to:
1. Different Teams
2. Bat Color or finish
3. Player request
4. Other

I have often wondered this and took the time to go thru my Adirondack/Rawlings bats and list player name, bat color, ring color. Since I collect only Cardinal game bats, the majority of the rings are red, that would make sense. I have a couple non-Cardinal bats of players that were with the Cardinals, but have never located a Cardinal bat. One is Ted Martinez-White ring-Brown Dodger bat the other is a Kip Wells-Gold Ring-Natural Pirates bat. Then I have some other Cardinal bats that doesn't fit the red ring scheme.
Luis Alicea-Black bat-No Ring
Doug DeCinces-Brown Barrel/Natural Handle-White Ring
Tom Herr & Mike Ramsey-Brown Bat-White Ring
Stacy Kleiner-Alex Eckelman-Nate Dishington-Shaun Boyd-All natural bats with a Blue Ring. Does blue indicate minor league bats? These are AA or AAA bats.

Darren Bragg-Keith Smith-Roger Cedeno-Danny Haren-Cliff Politte-Brian Daubach-Rick Ankiel-Black Bat with Silver Ring.

Are these ring colors unique to anything?

These players all have a natural bat either with finish or no finish and with the color Red Ring, to fit the Cardinals!?!
Bill Ortega-Sixto Lezcano-Mark McGwire-BJ Waszigs-Carlos Baerga-Jerry Morales-Mario Guerrero-Ted Kubiak-Joe Hague-Ted Simmons-Joe Torre-Mike Heath-Stan Royer-Eric Pappas-Ken Rudolph-Bob Horner-Bake McBride.
Any information you all would have on this would be appreciated and could be shared with other folks...
Thanks,
Don
woodbat@bellsouth.net (woodbat@bellsouth.net)

bigtruck260
07-16-2008, 02:16 PM
I asked these questions on another forum and still donot have all the answers.

Does Adirondack/Rawlings have a standard list of which bat ring colors are applied to:
1. Different Teams
2. Bat Color or finish
3. Player request
4. Other

Don -

What about guys who are traded mid season and bring bats from other teams - the way Mac did when he came to STL from Oak. in 1997?

He was unsing green ringed bats for a few games if I remember correctly.

I have had bats from Angels players that had red/blue rings respectively.
That correlates the road/home color scheme.

The only RAWLINGS bats I have now (Ludwick, McGee and JD Drew) are all black. The McGee has a white ring and the other two are silver.

I just think that white/silver and gold look better on black bats (and show up better on TV, more importantly)...Rawlings big identifier is the ring...

Not sure about your non-ringed bats.