PDA

View Full Version : what happened to the indians?

ziggy
07-14-2008, 11:28 AM
Was just looking at some stats at the break...I know the team has been bad but looking at some stats...what happened to these guys..Did they stop eating their wheaties ( or other supplements?)

Hafner 4 HR .217 BA ????
Victor Martinez: 0 HR .278 BA????
Garko : 7 HR .241 BA??

dcgreg25
07-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Yep, its been an ugly first half for them. Their offense, which always centered around Sizemore, Hafner and Martinez just disappeared because of injuries that destroeyed Martinez's power and Hafner's ability to hit. IMHO, they made a huge mistake by not pursuing any bats last winter and sticking with weak hitters and platoons in the corner outfield spots.

Hopefully Laporta can develop and bring some power to the corner outfield (or 3B) positions. They are shedding significant payroll after this season (CC, Byrd among others) so hopefully they will spend at least a little money to upgrade the offense.

On top of that their bullpen (a strength last season) absolutely fell apart on them. At least their starting pitching remains good (and young) so hopefully they can fix the offense and bullpen.

camarokids
07-14-2008, 03:00 PM
They were good enuf to sweep the Devil Rays four in a row ....

I hate to say it , but after reading an article in the St. Pete Times last week , I think the Devil rays are in for a big choke....

Kazmir , was talking about teammates coming into the dugout between innings asking what the score is on Boston's game , not worrying about themselves.

Pitcher James Shields was saying how he is physically spent , pretty bad for someone who only works every five days ......:D

scottanservitz
07-14-2008, 04:04 PM
The Tribe has been pounded by injuries this season. They did nothing to get better in the off-season. They haven't had a closer in years. I know they are a mid market team, but they haven't even tried! Knowing how close they were.....but anyways. Atleast they got something for C.C. knowing they were not going to be able to afford him. Oh well, I think the core nucleus is strong, pitching is good. Have to get corner outfielders and not this platoon stuff. Hopefully LaPorta is a start.
Scott