Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joelsabi
    • Aug 2005

Favorite All Star Game Moment

What is your favorite moment at an all star game?

mine would be seeing ripkens starting again as a shortstop in 2001.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.
  • hblakewolf
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Re: Favorite All Star Game Moment

Originally posted by joelsabi
    What is your favorite moment at an all star game?

mine would be seeing ripkens starting again as a shortstop in 2001.
    Although to the average fan it appeared as though A-Rod asked Ripken to change positions, in reality this was a "stunt" pre-arranged by Ripken with MLB in the know. I have a friend who works in MLB and she was aware of this before the game even started!

Hard to believe, but true.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net

Comment

• Dewey2007
      • Dec 2007

Dave Parker throwing out two runners in the '79 All-Star game in the Kingdome. People forget that the "Cobra" had a cannon back in the day.

The other is Rod Carew hitting two triples in the '78 All-Star game. When he hit the first one the conditions on hitters were brutal because of the starting time and the game being on the West Coast. Showed what a great hitter he was.
      sigpicwww.alamedasportsproject.com

Comment

• mariner_gamers
        • May 2008

I happened to be at the 2001 game and watching Ripken homer in person was awesome!! Definitely my favorite public moment. My absolute favorite All-Star moment was being smashed onto an elevator with the National Hooters Team just before the 2001 game. They had Sharpies in their...uh, hmm...shirts so I asked if they were signing. I was then mobbed and all of them signed the HR Derby shirt I was wearing from the previous day's event. It still hangs unwashed in the closet 7 years later.......
        Davis Emburey
        demburey@netzero.net
        Always looking for late 70's-late 80's Mariners game used bats!

Comment

• bigtruck260
          • Sep 2007

Bo Jackson's homer off of Rick Ruschel in the 1989 game.
          Was it me, or did Bo look like a big kid in todder's clothes when he played?

Hated KC - Loved Bo.
          Dave
          Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
          River City Redbird Authentics
          http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• jake33
            • Nov 2005

a "YOUNG" julio franco winning mvp of the 1990 all star game in the boring 2-0 AL win

Comment

• Kid4hof03
              • Nov 2005

Gary Carter's home runs in 1981 and 1984.

Parker's throws in 1979 are second on my list, absolutely amazing plays!

Abe

Comment

• metsbats
                • Nov 2005

A picture is worth a thousand words....
                Attached Files
                metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• Tedw9
                  • Jul 2007

Ted Williams making his final appearance in Fenway at the 1999 All Star Game gave me goosebumps.

My favorite play that I can remember is I believe it was Torii Hunter robbing Barry Bonds of a home run by going part way over the fence.

Comment

• Fraudfinder!!
                    • Nov 2005

Mine also would be the 1999 All Star Game at Fenway Park. Watching Ted Williams come out to the field was amazing as well as seeing the living "All Century Players" all one on field.
                    Pedro stricking out Larkin,Walker, Sousa and McGwire all in a row, was also a thrill. Fenway erupted after he struck out McGwire, the loudest I have ever heard it.

I had lower field box seats for that game and it was topped off by me sitting right next to Bruin legend Ray Bourque. What luck!

Comment

• byergo
                      • Feb 2006

bigtruck260,
                      I own the bat Bo used for that 448 foot homerun in the 1989 All Star Game you discussed. He crushed the ball with such force that he left a baseball seam mark impression deep into the wood of the bat. As Bo said: "I only got a piece of it." Amazing shot for a guy who didn't even catch the ball in his power alley.

Comment

• ironmanfan
                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by hblakewolf
                        Although to the average fan it appeared as though A-Rod asked Ripken to change positions, in reality this was a "stunt" pre-arranged by Ripken with MLB in the know. I have a friend who works in MLB and she was aware of this before the game even started!

Hard to believe, but true.

Howard Wolf
                        hblakewolf@comcast.net
                        Howard:

While I will concede that this "stunt" was pre-arranged, I can assure you that Ripken did not know about it.

As someone else mentioned, the Home Run he hit in that game off Chan Ho Park was special. Along those lines, I decided to have my own "theme ball" made from that event with ESPN's Charley Steiner signing an Official '01 All Star Ball with his famous call of that HR "Did He Do It?......" and later had Cal sign it (who told me when he signed it thought it was a cool idea).

Comment

• mr.miracle
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ironmanfan
                          Howard:

While I will concede that this "stunt" was pre-arranged, I can assure you that Ripken did not know about it.

As someone else mentioned, the Home Run he hit in that game off Chan Ho Park was special. Along those lines, I decided to have my own "theme ball" made from that event with ESPN's Charley Steiner signing an Official '01 All Star Ball with his famous call of that HR "Did He Do It?......" and later had Cal sign it (who told me when he signed it thought it was a cool idea).

My understanding from several sources is that virtually everyone at MLB did know about this move however Cal was completely unaware and of course this was purposely done so that it would be a surprise and make it more of a genuine moment. Of course, the fact that Cal hates to do anything to distract from the game itself might have led him to refuse to do this had he known in advance as well.
                          Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Comment

• ironmanfan
                            • Sep 2005

bumping to the top for the 2015 ASG

Comment

• coxfan
                              • Feb 2009

My favorite ASG moments involved me as a fan. When I was a UGA undergrad in the late 1960's, they didn't allow dorm rooms to have TV's. Plus, color TV's were uncommon everywhere in the south. So it was a tradition for UGA students, by the hundreds, to congregate at the downtown Varsity, across from the Arch, to watch the ASG on the Varsity's color TV. (The old Varsity site is now a Five Guys, though the second Varsity still exists a few blocks away.)

MLB was very different in 1967 and 1968, before the Varsity tradition started to disappear. Each league had ten teams, with no divisions, with each playing the other 18 games ( the origin of the 162-game schedule that still exists.) But the ASG was still the ASG!

Comment

Working...