PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Ideas

skyking26
07-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Live in Michigan. Looking for a summer trip idea for the family where I can jam a baseball game in. Folks in OH/KY/TN - Give me your ideas on a trip where I stopped in route to a Reds game and headed down to Dollywood and Elvis Presley estate from there. Too hot? Lotsa fun? LMK, I am sure there are many on the board from the area...

RK

stlgroundskeeper
07-17-2008, 12:54 PM
I live in Memphis. If your coming to see elvis' house you could catch a Memphis Redbirds game. They are the AAA affiliate of the Cardinals. I have never been to Graceland even though I have lived in Mmephis my whole life (22 years). On your way over from the west side of the state toward Memphis you pass 3 other ballparks the west tennessee diamond jaxx in jackson, ms, nashville sounds in nashville, tn, and various other ones in the appalachians. You should defiantely try to drive through NAshville. It is the best town in Tennessee and where I want to end up living because its just a great town. any other questions or anything just shoot me an email. I can tell you some good places to eat or whatever you want to know.

Andrew
cardinalbats@yahoo.com

BMH
07-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Hmm, we have the Louisville Slugger factory and the AAA Bats in town. You're most likely going to go through Louisville on your way anyhow.

bigtruck260
07-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Andrew is right...Autozone Park is right smack in the middle of Memphis - though you MUST stop at Graceland and drop a few hundred bucks. They actually have pretty good BBQ there....but I digress.

Funny, I am actually going to Detroit next week for some fishing on Lake Erie - then to Sandusky, OH for Cedar Point.

I should be asking you for ideas!

harpt
07-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Live in Michigan. Looking for a summer trip idea for the family where I can jam a baseball game in. Folks in OH/KY/TN - Give me your ideas on a trip where I stopped in route to a Reds game and headed down to Dollywood and Elvis Presley estate from there. Too hot? Lotsa fun? LMK, I am sure there are many on the board from the area...

RK

Hey Bob,

Take the ferry from Ludington over to Manitowoc, Wisconsin (about a four hour trip I think). An hour to your south you've got the Brewers, and then the Cubs and White Sox right down the road from there. Lake Michigan has a lot to offer in the Summer. Milwaukee is definately a city of fesitvals. Plus the ferry ride itself is relaxing and is a big part of the fun.

skyking26
07-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Hey Bob,

Take the ferry from Ludington over to Manitowoc, Wisconsin (about a four hour trip I think). An hour to your south you've got the Brewers, and then the Cubs and White Sox right down the road from there. Lake Michigan has a lot to offer in the Summer. Milwaukee is definately a city of fesitvals. Plus the ferry ride itself is relaxing and is a big part of the fun.
Scott - Attending the National Thursday the 31st. Thought about going over to the Dells and catching a Brewers game, but the crew is out of town at that time; and my buddy tells me that the Dells have flooding problems?

skyking26
07-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Andrew is right...Autozone Park is right smack in the middle of Memphis - though you MUST stop at Graceland and drop a few hundred bucks. They actually have pretty good BBQ there....but I digress.

Funny, I am actually going to Detroit next week for some fishing on Lake Erie - then to Sandusky, OH for Cedar Point.

I should be asking you for ideas!
I live 1 hour north of Detroit. While in our fair city see a Tiger game if they are here - and if attending a night game scoot to your car quickly as it is not a safe area.

We attend Cedar Point. Very very busy this time of year. Be prepared to wait in long lines. Fall is a safer bet to attend; but it is clean and you should have fun...

Redbird64
07-17-2008, 05:21 PM
I just visited Memphis for the first time & saw the Redbird home opener. I can't recommend it enough. Great ballpark & a fun time. Be sure to try the BBQ nachos! Also recommend a stop at the Sun records studio. It is about a 10 minute walk from the ballpark. Take the tour & really get an appreciation for the roots of Rock & Roll.......

skyking26
07-17-2008, 07:52 PM
It's sounding more and more like we should take this trip.

tknorm
07-17-2008, 09:45 PM
Absolutely you should take the trip! I live in Cincinnati and Great American is a very nice park. Easy to get good tickets and alot of new exciting guys to watch. Scalping is legal, so there are plenty of tickets. Best value seats are the Right Field Sun-Moon Deck, particularly if you can get in the lower third. The Zoo is nice, there is a small aquarium, a decent Art Museum, and the Museum Center with Omni Max theater. Also some good restaurants.

My only other thought about your trip is that you are covering alot of turf if you come down through Cincy, head thru Louisville to Nashville and Memphis as the others have reco'd and also do Dollywood and Gatlinburg. The Smoky Mountains are nice, but very crowded, especially around Dollywood. Be prepared for lots of traffic and people. It takes 6+ hours from Cincy to Dollywoood area during high traffic times.

Hope this helps!

skyking26
07-17-2008, 10:32 PM
Absolutely you should take the trip! I live in Cincinnati and Great American is a very nice park. Easy to get good tickets and alot of new exciting guys to watch. Scalping is legal, so there are plenty of tickets. Best value seats are the Right Field Sun-Moon Deck, particularly if you can get in the lower third. The Zoo is nice, there is a small aquarium, a decent Art Museum, and the Museum Center with Omni Max theater. Also some good restaurants.

My only other thought about your trip is that you are covering alot of turf if you come down through Cincy, head thru Louisville to Nashville and Memphis as the others have reco'd and also do Dollywood and Gatlinburg. The Smoky Mountains are nice, but very crowded, especially around Dollywood. Be prepared for lots of traffic and people. It takes 6+ hours from Cincy to Dollywoood area during high traffic times.

Hope this helps!
It helps alot, considering everything. Our kids are 11 and 7. They have done as long as a 6 hour trip to Chicago, but that was years ago. I just wanted to do something different as living here in MI we have done Toronto, etc, so this would have to be a trip done in stages to keep everybody happy, probably 7-10 days total.

skyking26
07-17-2008, 10:34 PM
It helps alot, considering everything. Our kids are 11 and 7. They have done as long as a 6 hour trip to Chicago, but that was years ago. I just wanted to do something different as living here in MI we have done Toronto, etc, so this would have to be a trip done in stages to keep everybody happy, probably 7-10 days total.
One other thing - I am an Adam Dunn fan and I think he is very underrated. Another HR tonight after the AS break. Sure, he has his weaknesses, but won't this be his 5th straight 40 HR season?

Jags Fan Dan
07-18-2008, 06:59 AM
If you will be in Cincinnati and want to see some future MLB players play (Eric Hosmer) shoot me an email. The cost is $0.

rose14
07-18-2008, 03:46 PM
SKY, the Brewers are in town on Thursday the 31st. Myself and a friend are hitting the National on Wednesday and then going up to the game in Milwaukee on Thursday and then to the game at Wrigley on Friday and back to the National on Saturday & Sunday.