PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Red Sox Jerseys Tagging ALL REAL ONE ARE STRIP TAGGED

bosoxfan4life
03-07-2006, 10:48 AM
ALL I REPEAT ALL REAL 2005 Red Sox Jerseys have the strip tagging this was not just done in the second half of the season it was done from Opening Day on. I know this for certain because I own Mark Bellhorns World Series Ring Day jersey cert. by MLB. It was worn opening day at Fenway Park. The ONLY EXCEPTION TO THIS are as follows.

Special Event Jerseys Non Roster Players. Examples as follow

Dave Roberts Ring Day
Lowe Ring Day
Dinardo Ring Day
Burks Ring Day

**any 2004 red sox who returned for the event but was not on the active roster.

Wade Boggs tribute night

All Red Sox Game Used jerseys from 2005 regardless of Player have the strip tag. Even Papelbon, Hanson, Hanley Ramirez no exceptions

seven4five20
03-07-2006, 11:16 AM
There are more exceptions. We have seen pictures of Red Soc players without strip tagging. I saw one on this forum, I believe of Edgar Renteria, who is no bum, without the strip tagging. I own a jersey I received directly from Trot Nixon without strip tagging. I think this past year was very inconsistent for the Sox, and the rest of the MLB, when it comes to jersey tagging.

bosoxfan4life
03-07-2006, 12:22 PM
The Edgar was a one game wonder without a tag. It occured as a result of the trade of numbers between him and Boomer Wells. The Sox got a shirt for edgar from their team store for that game. Boomer was not pitching and as a result wore a warmup shirt the whole game. The trot shirt you got i am guessing was ordered for charity events just like the LS bats with the underlined 125. Does it show game use or is it unused?

gameused
03-07-2006, 12:27 PM
We had a discussion on this a while back here's the link!

Bobby

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1016&page=2&highlight=tagging

kingjammy24
03-07-2006, 02:32 PM
A few questions:

Can we assume that the Red Sox, like many other MLB teams, order spares? Spares for trades, mid-season call ups, lost/damaged/stolen jerseys, etc.

Next question: who adds the strip tag? The manufacturer or a local shop? In this particular case, I'm of the opinion that it's the manufacturer simply because that exact style of 2005 Red Sox strip tag is also used by several other teams and so I believe the odds are slim that local shops in several cities are producing identical strip tags. So if it's the manufacturer who sews and affixes the strip tag, what kind of strip tag can you affix to a spare? There's no intended player/uniform number.

If the spares ship with no numbers then it would have to be a local shop that sews on the numbers. How can you ship a spare with a uniform number when you don't know what player will eventually use that spare?

Last question: If a player gets traded or called up to the Red Sox on Wednesday and shows up on Thursday, where do the Sox get his jersey? The team store? That's the policy? While I have little doubt that many teams have at times had to resort to a retail jersey, I do have doubts that this is the regular policy for trades/call-ups. I believe a more plausible policy is to use a spare. You can have a spare numbered by the local store within hours. There isn't enough time to order it from the manufacturer and have it shipped complete with numbering, lettering, and strip-tagging. How can a trade/call-up who is wearing a spare have this spare strip-tagged?

Rudy.

bosoxfan4life
03-07-2006, 02:54 PM
The sox shirts are produced locally stiched in MA. The shirts are all strip tagged in advance. They do have extras but they have them from the start of the year they produce all no retired #'s from 1 thru 60 anything higher that is a special request.

kingjammy24
03-07-2006, 03:04 PM
BoSox:

The jerseys are strip-tagged in advance of what? Of being numbered, of being issued, ??

Who sews the strip-tagging...the local shop or Majestic?

Who sews the numbers/lettering... local shop or Majestic?

Rudy.

seven4five20
03-07-2006, 03:07 PM
The Trot Nixon jersey shows great use, even has a team repair (as some of you know, Trot Nixon plays extremely hard). There isn't a gram of doubt in my mind the jersey is game used. Some of you may remember me from "the old forum" as TrotNixonForPresident.

hblakewolf
03-07-2006, 03:45 PM
BoSox:

The jerseys are strip-tagged in advance of what? Of being numbered, of being issued, ??

Who sews the strip-tagging...the local shop or Majestic?

Who sews the numbers/lettering... local shop or Majestic?

Rudy.

Rudy-
The 3 digit strip tag is sewn by Majestic. No local shop produces this.

When the individual indicates these jerseys are sewn locally, it may be the case, however, what can we expect to see for strip tagging on a jersey of a recently traded player? Say the Red Sox obtain Pat Burrell on a Monday from the Phillies, and he plays that evening. No chance in hell they have a jersey with the strip tag that includes his #5 on it. Rather, they most likely would have a "generic" jersey with the size/year, void of the uniform number.

Any insight here?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

earlywynnfan
03-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Say, I'm not a jersey person at all, and I have no idea what strip tagging is. But I do enjoy reading about jerseys and learning what's out there.

So I don't have a side on this issue, but I do have a question: You say that ALL Bosox jerseys from 2005 MUST have the strip tagging BECAUSE you have A jersey that has it. What am I missing that lets you make such a definite statement?

Ken

bosoxfan4life
03-07-2006, 04:00 PM
The jerseys that were sold without strip tags have the wrong internal code on the wash tag.

For a call up the sox assign high numbers or unused numbers. As previously stated the sox produce all #'s that are not retired from 1-60 at the start of the seasson an number above 60 is a special order. They produce all jerseys starting at size 46 or above so there is little chance that most normal size guys would not fit the shirt. Case in point wells wears a 58 Edgar would never fit in a 58 thats why they got the number 3 shirt from the team store when the trade was made.

Finally i have spoken to numerous Sox workers who have confirmed that all shirts in 2005 were strip tagged from day 1.

seven4five20
03-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Perhaps the jerseys were ment to be tagged, but not all of them were.
Wells and Renteria switched numbers on May 29 at Yankees stadium, yet I have seen pictures of Renteria's home jersey without strip tagging. Also, I again point to the jersey handed to me by Trot Nixon that shows excellent use, that he himself said was used during games......that jersey had no strip tagging.

Is it possible that the Sox did not initially order enough jerseys with the strip tagging, hence, there being minor inconsistencies?

Most Red Sox 05 jerseys should have strip tagging, but I do not believe that all of them do, I do not belive that gamers absolutely have to have the strip tagging to be authentic. We have seen stranger things with gamers.

bosoxfan4life
03-07-2006, 04:36 PM
I guess anything is possible i should not have made the statement so set in stone. I should have been told from what i have been told and seen. Thats cool that you got the Trot from him sounds like a cool story care to share?

kingjammy24
03-07-2006, 05:09 PM
BoSox:
All 35 (60 jerseys minus 25 for the typical 25-man roster) spares are size 46? So where do they get the spares for mid-season players who want a size 42, 44, 48, 50, 52? The team store?

So if Trot takes a size 48, it would come from the team store and therefore not have a striptag?

If the only spares they have are all in a size 46 and all other sizes come from the team store, then doesn't it seem even more likely to find Sox spares void of strip-tagging?

A couple of other thoughts and questions:

"..the sox produce all #'s that are not retired from 1-60 at the start of the seasson"

So for a typical 25-man roster, they produce 35 extra unassigned jerseys?
Whether any of these will be used or not is anyone's guess. At the end of the season, what happens to 35 extra unused jerseys?

So if I'm understanding this correctly, Majestic manufactures jerseys with strip tags and no numbers. They then send these jerseys to a shop in MA who adds the numbers. Since the strip tags already have the uniform numbers indicated on them, there's little choice as to what number can be sewn onto the jersey. This local shop then sews on numbers for all of the "assigned" jerseys. All unassigned jerseys are made in a size 46 and have their numbers sewn on by the local shop as well. If Olerud shows up one summer night, they grab a size 46, pre-numbered, strip-tagged jersey and toss it to him. If David Wells shows up, they run to the team store and pray for a 54. If the store is out of 54's, Boomer's going to be on the mound literally popping out of a 46.

(Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to have about 15 unnumbered jerseys varying in sizes from a 42 to a 54?
I completely fail to see the logic in pre-numbering 35 spares, all in a size 46. If the numbering is done at a local shop and can therefore be done within hours, then why pre-number them?)

Howard, after reading BoSox's posts, I believe the answer to your question re: Burrell would be that apparently the Sox would have a #5, size 46 jersey that was made at the start of the season. This jersey would already be strip-tagged with the year, size, and uniform number. If he doesn't want a size 46, then apparently they run to the team store.

I suppose anything's possible in this game, but a part of me has a hard time swallowing the idea that each season a team produces 35 year-tagged spares, all in a size 46. Especially after seeing proof that teams are so cheap that they re-use and recycle jerseys. The overwhelming majority of these jerseys will of course go un-used. Has anyone ever seen a huge, annual glut of un-used, unassigned, strip-tagged jerseys come from the Sox or any team?

Rudy.

bosoxfan4life
03-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Rudy if you read my post all jerseys start at size 46 they range to size 54.

hblakewolf
03-07-2006, 05:26 PM
The jerseys that were sold without strip tags have the wrong internal code on the wash tag.

For a call up the sox assign high numbers or unused numbers. As previously stated the sox produce all #'s that are not retired from 1-60 at the start of the seasson an number above 60 is a special order. They produce all jerseys starting at size 46 or above so there is little chance that most normal size guys would not fit the shirt. Case in point wells wears a 58 Edgar would never fit in a 58 thats why they got the number 3 shirt from the team store when the trade was made.

Finally i have spoken to numerous Sox workers who have confirmed that all shirts in 2005 were strip tagged from day 1.

Why then have we seen several 2005 photos from Getty that clearly show a Red Sox jersey untucked and no strip tag is present?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

bosoxfan4life
03-07-2006, 05:29 PM
RUDY:

Tagged in advance means tagged by the local shop who does all the stiching.

You fail to mention the coaching staff 8 individuals so there is 33 right there.

During the course of the season about 50 players play in a game for the Sox meaning that there are only about 5 unused shirts or less.

Also the jersey size start at and go up to 54 above that is a special order for the extras.

bosoxfan4life
03-07-2006, 05:31 PM
Howard show me a getty image without strip tags on 2005 Red Sox shirt. Have not seen on example as of yet.

bigtime59
03-07-2006, 06:37 PM
I have to say that I find this implausible. I would find it far more believable that the jerseys that come pre-numbered from Majestic have strip tags, and that the spares, if not generically tagged, are untagged. Based on what I know from the Orioles, here is what I believe happens:
The team orders jerseys for the 25-man (perhaps even the 40-man) roster pre-lettered and numbered by Majestic. They also get a bunch of 0062 coded blanks. Call-ups have their jerseys personalized by a local shop, when necessary. (I know this because I helped put together Ray Miller's road jersey when he returned to the Orioles in 2004.) Steve in the Rockies Warehouse has said that--IN A PINCH--they have gotten jerseys from the team store to outfit a callup.

beantown
03-07-2006, 08:33 PM
If the jersey had the strip tagging on the outer left tail, MUST it also have an interior tag with the Majestic Code 0062 or 0065 to be game issued? According to the seller, this jersey on EBAY has no interior Majestic tag...

http://cgi.ebay.com/DAVID-ORTIZ-BOSTON-RED-SOX-GAME-JERSEY_W0QQitemZ8774477367QQcategoryZ60597QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If this jersey didn't have the strip tag, how would you tell the difference from a game cut/issued jersey vs. a retail jersey? Anyone???

hblakewolf
03-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Howard show me a getty image without strip tags on 2005 Red Sox shirt. Have not seen on example as of yet.

Rudy-
I'm in need of your expertise with Getty.
Thanks.
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

kingjammy24
03-08-2006, 03:40 PM
BoSox,

I'm really trying to follow this so bear with me. From what I understand from your posts:

"..tagged by the local shop who does all the stiching"
- Majestic sends completely blank jerseys to a shop in MA and this shop in MA affixes the strip tags, numbers, & letters?
If this is correct, I have a question: the exact style of strip tag used by the Red Sox is also used by several other teams including the Jays, White Sox, and Cubs. (By exact, I mean exact - same font, same color, same style, same cloth). How is that a local shop in MA seems to be producing the identical strip tag used by several other teams?
I would offer that the strip tags are sewn on by Majestic and that's why they're all identical. The odds of local shops in Chicago, Boston, and Toronto all producing identical strip tags seems highly unlikely at best.

- "the sox produce all #'s that are not retired from 1-60 at the start of the seasson an number above 60 is a special order. They produce all jerseys starting at size 46 or above"

Can you clarify this for me? Using the #5 as an example, as you saying that if #5 is going to be a spare, they produce a #5 home jersey in size 46, 48, 50, and 54? 4 different sizes of the same spare?
OR..
they just pre-number & strip tag randomly-sized, spare jerseys? IE: this size 46 will be a #5, that size 48 will be a #41, etc?

thanks,

Rudy.

bosoxfan4life
03-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Rudy # 5 may be a size 46, number 58 maybe a size 48, number 11 maybe a 50. They do not produce 4 sizes of the same shirt

bigtime59
03-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Rudy # 5 may be a size 46, number 58 maybe a size 48, number 11 maybe a 50. They do not produce 4 sizes of the same shirt

I have to wonder why one of the richest teams in baseball would be following MINOR LEAGUE practice, and assigning numbers to their spare jerseys based on size. And, why no jerseys over #60?

suave1477
03-08-2006, 10:26 PM
I have to wonder why one of the richest teams in baseball would be following MINOR LEAGUE practice, and assigning numbers to their spare jerseys based on size. And, why no jerseys over #60?

Well thats like saying the yankees what of the most richest teams to spend money on players but not jerseys. for the longest time up untill the mid to late 90's the yankees didnt use spares, they used recycled jerseys of other players sometimes players would use jerseys that were 2 to 3 years old. They didnt even have a spare for Jeter when he came up they used an old Bernie Williams jersey and replaced the numbers with a #2 on it and the tagging on the tail said "Williams"

With ticket prices getting outrageous and for some teams have been outrageous you would think they can afford to give a player a new jersey.

How about this!! this whole time i thought for at least the world series a team got crisp clean new jerseys!!!! NOPE!!! they used regular season jerseys and just added the world series patches