PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds Sports Illustrated steroid article

gameused
03-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Interesting article on Bonds steroid use!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/03/06/news.excerpt/index.html

gameused
03-07-2006, 06:34 PM
Here's a similar article on the espn website.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2358236

The Incredible BULK!

byergo
03-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Watch for falling prices! If I had anything Bonds it would be time to liquidate. I feel sorry for people holding on to $15k home run bats and so forth.

mmonte4
03-08-2006, 11:25 AM
bonds is no first ballet HOFer in my book. Compromising the integrity of the game is a major no no. I hope he is booed when he matches Ruth!

BULBUS
03-08-2006, 11:33 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/baseball/mlb/specials/spring_training/2006/02/28/giants.idol.ap/p1.barry.bonds.ap.jpg

byergo
03-08-2006, 11:34 AM
I feel pretty confident that Hall of Fame voters will NOT elect the known steriod cheaters for 1st ballot HOF consideration, perhaps much longer (Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, Giambi, Canseco, Palimeiro, IROD, etc...).

This will lead to increasing controversy in the media and marketplace.

suave1477
03-08-2006, 11:58 AM
So here is a question? everyone here knows i am a strawberry fan

What's worse to do steroids or coke and alcohol? lol lol

At least coke and alcohol are not muscle enhancing drugs, so should we vote Strawberry in, considering the others took muscle enhancing drugs lol lol:D

byergo
03-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Strawberry only has 1/2 to 2/3 the career numbers it would take to make the HOF, but I don't think many voters would dock a player for drug/alcohol problems as they fall under the category of personal problems, and detract, not add to their performance on the field.

suave1477
03-08-2006, 01:27 PM
byergo it was a joke:rolleyes:

But you are wrong he does have some strong numbers to be accepted into the hall of fame the problem is he is over shadowed by his personal life of drugs, alcohol, arrests, probation viloations, tax evasions and the list goes on.

The most people don't realize it he was on that ballot last year ( his first year for eligiblity ) he had if memory serves me correct 3 to 6 votes. He could have been on the ballot this year, but the new format of the hall of fame I believe is anyone under 20 votes they don't show or something like that.

Just to give you a quick list of some of his numbers:
83 rookie of the year
4 time World Champ
8 time all star
2 time silver slugger
30 / 30 club member
Till this day still holds the home run record for the Mets!!

byergo
03-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Nice info, but here is the bottom line, you need either 3,000 hits or 500 hr's to get in; or have a hell of a story to sell.

Straw has 1,401 hits and 335 hr's. To bad he pissed away that magnificent talent, because he like Dwight Gooden, had a HOF body.

suave1477
03-08-2006, 03:13 PM
I agree with what your saying on the numbers now suprisingly enough doc gooden became eligible this passed ballot and i do believe he was out of the top 100 candidates somewhere around 30 which isnt great but thats not bad.

jboosted92
03-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Nice info, but here is the bottom line, you need either 3,000 hits or 500 hr's to get in; or have a hell of a story to sell.

Straw has 1,401 hits and 335 hr's. To bad he pissed away that magnificent talent, because he like Dwight Gooden, had a HOF body.

3000/500 not true. Kirby Puckett, Ryne Sandberg, Gary Carter...

and that is in the last few years...

Gold Gloves, Consistency, League Leading, play a part tooo

Strawberry has good numbers, but I think he needed 2 more good years in the 90s.

Jim Rice is a close call as well.

byergo
03-08-2006, 03:50 PM
Close call means NOT IN! Gary Carter is a joke and shouldn't be in the hall. He has to be among those you can count on one hand that shouldn't be in (add the newest HOF'er--Bruce Sutter to that mix as well).

Puckett and Sandberg can sell the "hell of a story" I was talking about, and they are rightfully in like DiMaggio, Koufax.

suave1477
03-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Yeah unfortunately strawberry starting posting his better numbers towards the late 80's and then fell off towards the early to mid 90's bcuz of his problems then he started getting back up there with the yankees and then had to cut his career short bcuz of his cancer. Lets really put into perspective the actual years he played with the numbers he put up!!!

Dodgers 92 - 93 played total 75 games / played 1/4 the season
Giants 94 played 29 games / almost non existent
Yankees 95 -97,99 140 games ( excluding 98 ) played 1/4 to 1/2 the season

Imagine if he played full seasons during these years and was healthy, he would have blown away the 500 mark in home runs,

I am sure he could have hit or come very close to the 3000 hit mark.

byergo
03-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Strawberry no doubt had god-given HOF talent/body. Without his self inflicted drug problems, and other problems, he for sure had a shot at HOF numbers.

I really think he was a non steroids player too.

kingjammy24
03-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Beyond wasting his career, it's even more unfortunate Strawberry pissed away his life and decided to do it all while he was supposed to be a father. Deciding to throw away his athletic talent seems less indicative of what sort of person Strawberry is than his decision to assault the pregnant mother of his child, snort up half of Columbia, neglect his child support payments, commit a hit and run, ad nauseum. He makes Canseco seem like a choirboy. I can't recall a bigger miscreant in the last 20 yrs and that's including Belle, Steve Howe, Gooden, Eric Davis, Vince Coleman, and any other bad news bears you want to throw in.

I genuinely wonder at what point does an athlete's reprehensible personality outweigh their athletic acheivements? At what point do people stop cheering the homeruns because the man hitting them is such a repulsive person? (To be honest, I didn't see a whole lot of people cheering Bonds' 70 HR's). How morally bankrupt does a player need to get before his personal life completely negates his athletic acheivements?
For me, Strawberry reached that point.

Would the HOF let in a player who, for example, was a career .370 hitter but also a convicted child molestor? I would say they probably wouldn't, so it makes me wonder where the line is. I understand that HOF'ers aren't required to be angels and that the HOF solely looks at a player's baseball career, but if I'm correct in thinking (hoping) that they wouldn't let in a convicted child molestor then apparently there is some line in regards to a player's personal life. I wonder what that line is. Has any player been barred from the HOF solely because of his personal life? (I don't count Rose because his gambling broke a specific MLB rule. I'm just referring to a situation where a player's personal life is so morally reprehensible that, while it didn't break any specific MLB rules, they just couldn't be admitted to the HOF).

Rudy.

suave1477
03-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Byergo whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Those are some mighty big words. Coming from being a 80's mets fan. I do not agree i think Carter belongs there he was good with the expos and the mets

byergo
03-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Sorry, but every fan that I respect thinks the bar was lowered when Carter was inducted. He is as marginal and borderline as it gets. Basically he is the line where nothing less could be considered.

Remove your NY glasses and see it for what it is. For example, my cousin who is a huge Cardinals fan will readily admit that Sutter shouldn't be in, although he is a fan of Sutter and likes him.

It's hard/impossible to be objective regarding your own team...

suave1477
03-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Well i beleive for a couple of reasons people werent cheering for bonds

1) yes of course he is hitting manufactured home runs bcuz of some of the happy juice
2) bcuz it took a player like mcgwire 40 years to break roger maris and then 2 years for bonds to break it.
3) Becuz all bonds did was break a home run record of another player who was just as much on the juice as he was.

My personal opinion both mcgwire's and bond's records should carry the asterik!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

suave1477
03-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Well dont forget you also get the veterans votes which is basically the sympathy vote and thats what sutter got cuz it was his last year for eligiblity