PDA

View Full Version : Question on a Possible Gamer

jwasserman
07-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Found a Brooks Robinson Louisville Slugger bat with Powerized and 125 markings. It's a signature model that has been branded not foil stamped. There are no markings on the knob whatsoever. Could this be a gamer or is it more likely a store model?

Birdbats
07-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Brooks didn't retire until 1977, so he had a few bats that wouldn't have had anything stamped in to the knob (1976 and 1977 -- the model would be on the barrel above his name). If there's a model number above his name, it could be a legit 1977 bat. But, if it simply says "GENUINE" above his name -- and there's no model number there or on the knob, that could be a problem. There also was a brief period (1974?) that some bats got out with no model numbers on the knob -- had something to do with a strike at LS, if I recall. So, that's a possibility. A store model would likely have the length stamped into the knob (like "5" or "BR 5").

jwasserman
07-21-2008, 12:09 PM
to my recollection, it just said 'genuine' above his name. i do know for sure i was unable to locate a model number anywhere on the bat. does that preclude it from being a gamer?

Brooks didn't retire until 1977, so he had a few bats that wouldn't have had anything stamped in to the knob (1976 and 1977 -- the model would be on the barrel above his name). If there's a model number above his name, it could be a legit 1977 bat. But, if it simply says "GENUINE" above his name -- and there's no model number there or on the knob, that could be a problem. There also was a brief period (1974?) that some bats got out with no model numbers on the knob -- had something to do with a strike at LS, if I recall. So, that's a possibility. A store model would likely have the length stamped into the knob (like "5" or "BR 5").