PDA

View Full Version : Phillies...Owen...who is this guy?

bigtime59
07-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Need some help with this Phillies Saint Patricks Day jersey. Anybody know who Owen #83 is / was, and what year(s) he was with the team?
Thanks!
Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

mattysdad
07-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Hi Mark,

Phillies Spring Training uniform numbers in the 70s & 80s usually are assigned to long-shot prospects and "minor league system coordinators" (instructors). I'm almost positive that your jersey belonged to Dave Owen, an infield instructor for the Phils at Spring Training for several years (up to about 2006). Dave is currently the KC Royal's bench coach, and he's the brother of former major leaguer Spike Owen.

When I get home tonight (middle school ice hockey practice), I'll double check my Phillies post-2000 spring training rosters and make a positive ID for you. Hope this helps!!

Jim Fisher

mattysdad
07-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Hi Mark,

Dave Owen is listed as #83 on the Phillies spring training rosters for 2005 & 2006. His position is given as "Minor League Coordinator (Infield)"...Phillies-speak for "instructor". I don't have full rosters for 2004 and earlier. He's not listed on my 2007 ST roster - I think he was coaching in Japan that year. His bio states that he was a minor league coach and scout with the Phillies for 4 years.

Feel free to email me if you have any other questions!

Jim Fisher
jimandsallyanne@aol.com

bigtime59
07-23-2008, 08:17 AM
Jim:
Many thanks! I appreciate the info.
Mark
bigtime39@aol.com