PDA

View Full Version : This is Nuts, But I Wonder if he will Show Up?

jerseydave.com
07-26-2008, 11:36 PM
Where forth art thou, Steve Bartman?
29th National Sports Collectors Convention offers record $25,000 to sign one autograph

(July 23, 2008) - The most money ever offered for one autograph is on the table, literally, at the 29th Annual National Sports Collectors Convention, scheduled for July 30 – August 3 at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, Ill.

Show organizers and SportsBuy.com (formerly NAXCOM.com), a Sports Online Sales & Auction firm, announced today that a briefcase filled with $25,000 – that’s 250 $100 bills – is being offered to Steve Bartman on “Redemption-Reward Thursday” (July 31, 2008) at the annual sports collectibles convention.

The Bartman signing is scheduled for 1 p.m. Central Time on Thursday, July 31, in the Tristar Autograph Pavilion inside the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont.

“No one in sports memorabilia history has ever been paid $25,000 to sign one autograph – not Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali, Joe DiMaggio, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, or any other athlete,” said Mike Berkus, co-Executive Director of The National.

“All Steve has to do is show up, prove he is in fact the real Steve Bartman – not some earphone-wearing imposter – and he’ll move to the top of the autograph value list,” said Wesley Hein, CEO of SportsBuy.com.

The photograph that The National organizers want Bartman to sign is, of course, the infamous image from Game 6 of the 2003 National League Championship Series against the Florida Marlins. Once the picture is signed, it will be auctioned on SportsBuy.com to the general public with net proceeds being donated to a Chicago-based charity. This photo, signed by Steve Bartman, would be, arguably, the most sought-after collectible in the history of sports memorabilia.

“Steve Bartman has been a recluse for years, but we’re hopeful that he will accept our invitation and generous offer to appear at The National,” Berkus said. “We have personal security to provide to Steve at The National and to a destination of his choosing.”

If Bartman accepts the offer, he immediately will vault into an autograph stratosphere of his own. Just consider the past prices and values of former athletes for one autograph:

Babe Ruth: $10,000
Shoeless Joe Jackson: $7,500
Lou Gehrig: $5,000
Michael Jordan: $2,500
Joe DiMaggio: $2,000
Mickey Mantle: $1,000

aeneas01
07-27-2008, 01:08 AM
what a bush league stunt - guess it's true that attendance continues to plummet at these things...

trsent
07-27-2008, 01:16 AM
This photo, signed by Steve Bartman, would be, arguably, the most sought-after collectible in the history of sports memorabilia.

What a joke.

This guy is a goat in Chicago because The Cubs and their fans can't accept the fact that poor management and decisions have led to The Cubs not winning a World Series is around 101 years.

Steve Bartman did nothing wrong. He was a fan in the stands going for a foul ball. Moises Alou made a jerk of himself blaming this poor guy after the play happened, and then Dusty Baker left the starting pitcher in the game when he had lost his stuff.

So, they say this will be the "most sought-after collectible in the history of sports memorabilia" which is a sad joke. Who cares? The guys looking for cheap publicity. They should be ashamed to bring this poor, honest man's name into the public eye for their own greedy profits.

I remember watching on ESPN Classic The Top Five Reason - You Can't Blame Steve Bartman for the Cubs losing in 2003, and the stupid Governor of Illinois, Rod Blagojevich was interviewed stating how he blamed Steve Bartman and he said someone along the lines, "I hate that guy".

I was not living in Illinois when this idiot was elected, but this guy should have been asked to leave office for blaming a fan for The Cubs loss. What an idiot. Maybe I could still smoke indoors if they had kicked him out of office for picking on an honest citizen back then.

allstarsplus
07-27-2008, 08:18 AM
(July 23, 2008) - The most money ever offered for one autograph is on the table, literally, at the 29th Annual National Sports Collectors Convention, scheduled for July 30 – August 3 at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, Ill.

“Steve Bartman has been a recluse for years, but we’re hopeful that he will accept our invitation and generous offer to appear at The National,” Berkus said. “We have personal security to provide to Steve at The National and to a destination of his choosing.”

Can you say marketing genius or cheap marketing stunt? This was all over ESPN on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday and is still being discussed so as they say, "You can't buy this type of publicity".

With that said, this is at the expense of Steve Bartman who doesn't want to do it, and you have to feel sorry for Steve.

This was discussed at length on Thursday and Friday on the Mike & Mike ESPN show and it was said the proceeds from the autograph would go to a charity.
will be auctioned on SportsBuy.com to the general public with net proceeds being donated to a Chicago-based charity. This quote sounds like "net proceeds" to charity means all funds over $25,000 would go to charity plus they drive traffic and more publicity to SportsBuy.com

“Steve Bartman has been a recluse for years, but we’re hopeful that he will accept our invitation and generous offer to appear at The National,” Berkus said.

It doesn't look like Steve is going to cash in on anything, but looks like The National and SportsBuy.com may "cash in" from this added publicity. They should anonymously drop the $25,000 (thats 250 $100 bills) briefcase on Steve Bartman's doorstep as a big thank you for "USING" his name in this marketing stunt!

yanks12025
07-27-2008, 08:24 AM
I bet you he changed his name long ago.

eGameUsed
07-27-2008, 08:25 AM
Maybe Steve Bartman could clear his name and reputation by showing up, signing the autograph, and then turning the $25K over to charity. Then he would look like someone's hero and who could hate that!

trsent
07-27-2008, 04:35 PM
Maybe Steve Bartman could clear his name and reputation by showing up, signing the autograph, and then turning the $25K over to charity. Then he would look like someone's hero and who could hate that!

Steve Bartman should not have to clear his name - The Chicago public should offer him an apology for ruining his life when he did nothing wrong but held his hands up when a ball was coming at him in the stands. Moises Alou never attempted to push the fans back, it was a weird angle and he may have not caught the ball anyway, but being a poor sport Alou yelled at the fan - Like a poor sport.

Nathan
07-27-2008, 05:45 PM
My thoughts on Cubs fans are shared by one Lee Elia. (Uncensored; don't listen at work or around children who aren't Cardinals or White Sox fans)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uv23pqH9iG0

aeneas01
07-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Steve Bartman should not have to clear his name - The Chicago public should offer him an apology for ruining his life when he did nothing wrong but held his hands up when a ball was coming at him in the stands. Moises Alou never attempted to push the fans back, it was a weird angle and he may have not caught the ball anyway, but being a poor sport Alou yelled at the fan - Like a poor sport.

could not agree more. the only thing bartman was guilty of was not giving crap back to alou and turning around to flip off the crowd - if he had done this i honestly believe the crowd would have backed down, recognized the episode for what it really was (a fan doing what fans do at every ball game) and it would have been the end of it. instead bartman added fuel to the fire by behaving as if he was indeed at fault. whatever the case, just a base publicity stunt and about as clever as teens in wet t-shirts...

trsent
07-27-2008, 06:24 PM
My thoughts on Cubs fans are shared by one Lee Elia. (Uncensored; don't listen at work or around children who aren't Cardinals or White Sox fans)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uv23pqH9iG0

Lee Elia shows The Cubs 101 years of frustrations in one interview. Truth is he was right in what he said. Ozzie Guillen could say what Lee Elia said and not get fired the next day.

I ask again, shouldn't you state: "Looking for Duane Kupier home run baseball" as a cingular word since he hit ONE career home run?

BIGSTIG
07-27-2008, 06:43 PM
I live in Chicago, and am a die hard Cubs fan. (I know...feel free to insert joke here) Anyway I along with many people I know and have talked to do not blame Bartman at all. The cubs pllayers BLEW it!! Errors, no hitting, poor management etc. Alou himself has commented that he does not believe he could of cought the ball.

I agree with egameused - He should show up sign the autograph, and the donate the money to charity!!

Either that or take the $$ and rent one of the rooftops across from wrigley during the playoffs and make it rain!! (with pennies)

Dewey2007
07-27-2008, 09:27 PM
I ask again, shouldn't you state: "Looking for Duane Kupier home run baseball" as a cingular word since he hit ONE career home run?

I think he's aware (I hope) that Kuiper hit only one career homerun so therein lies the humor of his signature. At least I found it amusing!

Nathan
07-27-2008, 09:59 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Cubs have the lead in that fateful playoff game....AND have another chance or two to close out the series after it ended?

You know, kind of like blaming Bill Buckner. There were no men on, two outs, and a two-run lead in the bottom of the inning. If Buckner makes the play, they go to the next inning and probably lose anyway.

Did Buckner put all those men on? Did he uncork that wild pitch?

(And yes, I'm aware of Duane Kuiper's pathetic power)

metsbats
07-28-2008, 01:42 PM
I think it's a ploy to lure Mr Bartman in a enclosed arena where thousands of Cubs fans can beat up on him again.

If the Cubs get into the post season this year at one of the playoff games they should have Bartman throw out the first pitch from the same exact seat he was in during that game in 2003.:D

David