Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jetersbatboy
    • Jun 2008

Top 5 MLB Shortstops

Just taking a poll, what do you guys think top 5 current and all time.
    Current
    1. Hanley Ramirez
    2. M. Young
    3. J. Reyes
    4. JETER!!!
    5. M. Tejuda

All time
    1. Ripken
    2. Ozzie
    3. Arod
    4. Omar V.
    5. JETER I know it a reach but what can I say. He's a least in most peoples top ten. I am also leaving out H. Wagner but the postion was a lot diffrent in that era. Maybe I should of said current era instead. You decide.
  • staindsox
    • Jun 2006

Re: Top 5 MLB Shortstops

I don't think you can leave Honus off since he is the best alltime. 8 batting titles is impossible to ignore in any generation. I think Ernie Banks, Joe Cronin, Robin Yount, Luke Appling, and Arky Vaughan need consideration too.
    Always looking for Jack Hannahan or St. Paul Saints gamers:

www.jackhannahan.webs.com

Comment

• bigtruck260
      • Sep 2007

Like all infield positions, one has to wonder what is more important...a live bat, or defensive prowess? Being a St. Louis fan for most of my life, I grew up thinking that there was nobody better than Ozzie - though there were times when his slap hitting and foul-outs frustrated me.

After briefly considering it, - I think that I am beginning to see the value of a guy like Jeter who has Ozzie's field generalship and defense with the offense of a guy like Cal. I would put Jeter in the All-Time list when his career is over.

For All-Around play, Cal Ripken might be the best ever.
      Dave
      Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
      River City Redbird Authentics
      http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• Nathan
        • Nov 2005

Wagner, Arky Vaughan, Ernie Banks, Alex Rodriguez (yes, he's still a SS for the majority of his career), and probably Ozzie.

As for Jeter, I have to laugh.
        Looking for Duane Kuiper home run baseballs

Comment

• MUSEOVEN
          • Aug 2007

The Best Shortstops Ever:

Omar Vizquel
          Luis Aparicio
          Dave Concepcion
          Enzo Hernandez
          Chico Carrasquel

Plus:

Honus Wagner
          Ozzie Smith

Comment

• worldchamps
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by jetersbatboy
            Just taking a poll, what do you guys think top 5 current and all time.
            Current
            1. Hanley Ramirez
            2. M. Young
            3. J. Reyes
            4. JETER!!!
            5. M. Tejuda

So with this logic, is anyone interested in Trading me a Jeter or Reyes game used bat for my Michael Young...I would even through in my Tejada...surely #2 and #5 is better than number just #4
            sigpic

Comment

• Dewey2007
              • Dec 2007

Where's Jimmy Rollins?? I guess winning the MVP and Gold Glove isn't enough to get in your current Top 5?

For overall play I think Rollins should be there ahead of at least Tejada and Young.
              sigpicwww.alamedasportsproject.com

Comment

• jetersbatboy
                • Jun 2008

Sure I'll trade, to make it fare I'll give tw0 of my jeters for your Young( that will never happen)LOL . Just saying the current numbers for this season have Young having a better season.

Comment

• AWA85
                  • Jan 2008

Ok, I will get some people riled up here but I've done this before with my friends at school from the STL. Ozzie may be one of the most overrated players of all time. We often critique certain players because they only hit home runs, or do one thing really well and the rest drops off but not often do I hear Ozzies name in that talk. I will give it to him, he was amazing in the field and can do back flips but we are looking at a lifetime .262 hitter. I have stumped many of my buddies with this one also, 19 years in the bigs and 28 Home Runs, yikes. I am a Barry Larkin homer so of course I have a little anger at the lost gold gloves but when people throw Ozzies name around it gets me a little fired up.
                  Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Comment

• mdube16
                    • Jun 2007

1) Arod
                    2) Wagner
                    3) Banks
                    4) Ozzie
                    5) Yount

Not taking into account postition changes

Comment

• godwulf
                      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by MUSEOVEN
                      The Best Shortstops Ever:

Omar Vizquel
                      Luis Aparicio
                      Dave Concepcion
                      Enzo Hernandez
                      Chico Carrasquel

Plus:

Honus Wagner
                      Ozzie Smith
                      I didn't know Wagner and Ozzie were Venezuelan!
                      Jeff
                      godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• mdube16
                        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by AWA85
                        Ok, I will get some people riled up here but I've done this before with my friends at school from the STL. Ozzie may be one of the most overrated players of all time. We often critique certain players because they only hit home runs, or do one thing really well and the rest drops off but not often do I hear Ozzies name in that talk. I will give it to him, he was amazing in the field and can do back flips but we are looking at a lifetime .262 hitter. I have stumped many of my buddies with this one also, 19 years in the bigs and 28 Home Runs, yikes. I am a Barry Larkin homer so of course I have a little anger at the lost gold gloves but when people throw Ozzies name around it gets me a little fired up.
                        I believe Ozzie was the greatest fielding player I have ever seen. His body moved in ways that defy logic. The play with the Padres is insane. You can have a highlight film of many players, but Ozzie made plays that made you shake your head every night.

Comment

• bigtruck260
                          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by AWA85
                          Understand this...Buuuuuut:

Ozzie is a guy who was tailor made for ESPN's early days. The fact that he was an All star for 17 years and a gold glover for almost as many makes him one of the greatest ever. If both the players, coaches and fans agree that he is superior, he probably is.

I have heard people say that Rolen is overrated too...

He might be, but in his prime, there was never a better third baseman in either league. Edmonds is the same way.

I have seen some great defensive players in my day...and Ozzie is the best. Vizquel is a close second at SS.
                          Dave
                          Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
                          River City Redbird Authentics
                          http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• AWA85
                            • Jan 2008

When we talk about TOP 5 shortstops, it is hard for me to say that player that has NO stick at all is in the top. I know he was the greatest in the field, but the bat was just not there.

I told you I still have some anger from the stolen gold gloves from Larkin
                            Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Comment

• mdube16
                              • Jun 2007

To say Ozzie had NO stick is a bit strong. He is 21st all time in SB and he did win a Silver Slugger award in 1987. Finished with 2460 hits too.

Now BigTrucks...you lose credibility with the Rolen statements..."never" a better 3B? Thats strong. Lets not start with how great a second basemen Tom Herr was.

Comment

Working...