PDA

View Full Version : Ripken Unused 1999 Jersey

hblakewolf
03-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Forum readers-
Enough already about Bonds! How about the real "Ironman" for a minute.....

Thoughts on this jersey?????

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cal-Ripken-Jr-Baltimore-Orioles-Un-Used-Game-Jersey_W0QQitemZ8777341351QQcategoryZ60597QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks.
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

suave1477
03-08-2006, 04:41 PM
I am not a ripken jersey collector so i wouldnt have any expertise on this jersey but i do know/seen the seller has aqquired a lot of his stuff from reputable places such as Steiner and Grey Flannel. I am not saying this comes from anyone of them but he usually gets his items from reputable places.

kingjammy24
03-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Cal Ripken was a real nice guy. At least every time I saw him. No 'roid rage I guess. I wonder how he and cheerful Eddie Murray got along.

What's the difference between a "pro cut" and a game-issue?
Do pro-cut's actually come out of the locker room? If not, who makes these things? Assembled at the factory?

Rudy.

hblakewolf
03-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Rudy-
Great question!

I think it's basically the same concept as my lunch today. We went to KFC for some fried chicken and soda, however, are meeting with my in-laws this evening at their home for braised fowl and carbonated beverage.

Pro-cut/team-issued, I think it's all the same. Maybe an East Coast/West Coast thing? North/South?

HHHMMMMMMMM.......

Regardless, whet's your thoughts on the jersey in question?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

bigtime59
03-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Unlike the situation with the black "1995 Ripken gamer," I can't ride in here and say to you with assurance that this jersey is fake. Ripken did wear this style jersey (the dreaded super-high I of 1999), and there are photos out there that prove it. However, four things give me pause:
1) It's a Ripken jersey, and therefore automatically suspect
2) This seller has moved bad Ripken product before (specifically, a 1999 road jersey with the 1997 JR and Baltimore 200 patches)
3) I'm not 100% sold on the front number, but the item is shot as such a sharp angle, it's hard to judge conclusively.
4) I'm also not 100% sold on the back name. Again, camera angles can come into play here, but it does not appear to be arched enough.

I have sold every "super-high I" jersey that I've ever owned, as I think they're ass-ugly. I wouldn't buy this jersey because I don't like the lettering style, have questions about its authenticity, and generally run the other way when stars jerseys are involved. Again, it could be real, and if it is fake, it's better than many.

Mark Sutton
bigtime59

flaco1801
03-08-2006, 10:56 PM
the seller clearly says un game worn. so what do you want to know? if its really from the locker room or its really from the factory? im sure ripkin never laid an eye on it. just my opinion.

hblakewolf
03-09-2006, 06:48 AM
What are we trying to determine? You can't be serious!

What I am seeking is an opinion, based on fellow Orioles/Ripken collectors experience with 1999 jerseys, if this jersey matches game worn versions; tagging, number style, name sttyle,sleeve number, etc.

My concern is that a blank 1999 jersey had the name and numbers added.

Regardless of the description and information, I am seeking the insight of fellow Forum readers for their opinion(s).

As I always say, homework folks, do your homework.

Any schooling on this particular jersey is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

hblakewolf
03-09-2006, 10:37 AM
UPDATE-
I asked the seller for some additional info, and he replied with an answer that included "....sorry, have a commitment from a buyer for $1250 as soon as payment is received i will end the auction "

FYI

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

kingjammy24
03-09-2006, 01:20 PM
I was under the impression that "pro cut" referred to a jersey assembled at the factory that was consistent with all of the proper specs but had not actually made it to the team and was not ordered for the purpose of game-use. Typically, pro-cuts would be ordered for promotional use. An example: the 1989 Scoreboard Bo Jackson jerseys. Bo most likely ordered these, "according to proper spec" (eg: correct size, correct lettering and numbering), for the sole purpose of signing them and giving them to Scoreboard. Same with the 1990 Scoreboard Cansecos. They are "pro cut". (This is similar to players ordering bats solely for promotional purposes such as autograph sales. The bats typically look pretty legit but I'd hardly say they were game-issue in that they were never intended for a game or made it to the stadium).

Team/game-issued to me means that it was ordered by the team for the genuine intention of game-use and these jerseys actually made it into the locker room. They were simply never actually used.

Anyone? Joel?

Rudy.

ripkengamers
03-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Well, jersey has been sold. Remember to bookmark the auction as I'm sure you'll see this same jersey being sold as game used somewhere down the road! Just be lucky it's not "GREEN":p

suave1477
03-09-2006, 01:38 PM
KingHammy, thats why I always thought it meant but no one confirmmed it, but at least i was thinking along the same lines.

suave1477
03-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Sorry i meant KingJammy

trsent
03-09-2006, 03:26 PM
I was under the impression that "pro cut" referred to a jersey assembled at the factory that was consistent with all of the proper specs but had not actually made it to the team and was not ordered for the purpose of game-use. Typically, pro-cuts would be ordered for promotional use. An example: the 1989 Scoreboard Bo Jackson jerseys. Bo most likely ordered these, "according to proper spec" (eg: correct size, correct lettering and numbering), for the sole purpose of signing them and giving them to Scoreboard. Same with the 1990 Scoreboard Cansecos. They are "pro cut". (This is similar to players ordering bats solely for promotional purposes such as autograph sales. The bats typically look pretty legit but I'd hardly say they were game-issue in that they were never intended for a game or made it to the stadium).

Team/game-issued to me means that it was ordered by the team for the genuine intention of game-use and these jerseys actually made it into the locker room. They were simply never actually used.

Anyone? Joel?

Rudy.

Rudy, are you calling me out? Hehe...

Anyone notice I was out of town for a few days, family issues. Too many posts to catch up on right now, I need some sleep!

Anyways, the great debate - What does game issued or team issued mean?

Ladies and Gentlemen, here is just what you don't want to hear: It means that the jersey is the same style of jersey that the player wears on the field. Sometimes these jerseys come from the locker room, sometimes they come from the original manufacture.

Other than that, often it seems there is too much time being spent over issues that I cannot control. Rudy, I offered for you to call me last week to talk about some private matters and you never called. I was going to make you proud, but you didn't take me up on it.

In the meantime, was I missed?

suave1477
03-09-2006, 03:29 PM
Trsent Who?

Lol Lol:d