View Full Version : Manny a Dodger!

dodgersfan
07-31-2008, 03:46 PM
I hope this is true!

Rudy

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3513383

yanks12025
07-31-2008, 03:50 PM
Now that Manny is gone, i can say the yankees will make the playoffs this year. Good deal for the other teams just not the sox's.

Vintagedeputy
07-31-2008, 03:56 PM
I hope this is true!

Rudy

Gosh I hope so! Good riddance to bad rubbish!

kellsox
07-31-2008, 04:17 PM
I hope this is true!

Rudy

Enjoy the inconsistent effort and the random asking out of the lineup. He showed at the end of his time in Boston that it had to be all about him. All he wanted to do was make sure that he is a free agent after the season and it looks like he got that. He gave up on his teammates and put the organization is a bad spot.

Sheffield11
07-31-2008, 04:36 PM
This is best news ever, even better then the yankees getting an all star pitcher (well not really but close). Now that manny is gone there is absolutely no way the red sox will make the playoffs, they are already in a bad skid with him and he was doing good, now they have nothing, this is great!

OaklandAsFan
07-31-2008, 05:05 PM
well with Manny to the Dodgers and the Dodgers comin to AZ next season my autograph wish list for next spring just got longer. I managed to get Torre, Garciaparra,Jones and Kemp when the Dodgers came to AZ from China last spring but still have a few others to nab.

Anyone know if Koufax or other former Dodgers hang around their camp during spring?

AROD313
07-31-2008, 05:07 PM
How will this affect Manny's Game Used gear especially his Red Sox stuff. I just bought a Manny GU jersey and an M9 slugger.

gameused
07-31-2008, 05:28 PM
This is best news ever, even better then the yankees getting an all star pitcher (well not really but close). Now that manny is gone there is absolutely no way the red sox will make the playoffs, they are already in a bad skid with him and he was doing good, now they have nothing, this is great!

Being a huge Manny fan, I was really dissapointed of his actions on and off the field this season. I do agree he was selfish and put himself first before the team, I think the Red Sox will be a better team without him and will rebound, Jason Bay coming over from the Pirates is hitting .282, with 22 HR's, 64 rbi's and 7 SB's, so he's no slouch. Dont count the Red Sox out, still a lot of games to be played!

Bobby

Sheffield11
07-31-2008, 05:51 PM
Hey bobby any chance you will sell me some of your manny bats now?

3arod13
07-31-2008, 06:19 PM
Being that I'm a Yankee fan, I don't like the Red Sox. With that said, I don't see why people come down on Manny. Yes, he's a character, but I don't see where he is that much of a problem. Good bat. Average defense. Pitchers still fear him.

Why get rid of him now? Stupid. But thanks Boston, we Yankees fans appeciate it!

Sheffield11
07-31-2008, 06:40 PM
Being that I'm a Yankee fan, I don't like the Red Sox. With that said, I don't see why people come down on Manny. Yes, he's a character, but I don't see where he is that much of a problem. Good bat. Average defense. Pitchers still fear him.

Why get rid of him now? Stupid. But thanks Boston, we Yankees fans appeciate it!

Very well said, I would compare jason bay's numbers to that of jason giambi's. Now with that said, neither player could even be closely compared to manny. I would much rather manny on my team then giambi. Also Manny was the official yankee killer, and without him im sure we will win many more series against the loser sox. Great Trade Boston!

kellsox
07-31-2008, 06:53 PM
Very well said, I would compare jason bay's numbers to that of jason giambi's. Now with that said, neither player could even be closely compared to manny. I would much rather manny on my team then giambi. Also Manny was the official yankee killer, and without him im sure we will win many more series against the loser sox. Great Trade Boston!
Not sure how closely you have followed the situation but Manny forced the trade by bitching about his contract and asking not to play in games(claiming he was hurt etc..) Had they not traded him it was a good possibility that he would have stopped playing altogether(like he did a few seasons ago). Physical altercations, pushing down the 60+ year old Red Sox employee, and dogging it in the field and on the basepaths didn't help either. I'd rather have Bay in left field than anyone they had in-house.

As for the Yankees winning "more series against the loser Sox" we'll see in October when it matters- and the last time they did meet the Yanks blew a 3-0 lead if I remember correctly, I think it's the biggest choke in baseball history or something like that...
kelly
kelspeck@gmail.com

Sheffield11
07-31-2008, 06:57 PM
As for the Yankees winning "more series against the loser Sox" we'll see in October when it matters- and the last time they did meet the Yanks blew a 3-0 lead if I remember correctly, I think it's the biggest choke in baseball history or something like that...
kelly
kelspeck@gmail.com

LOL very true, but dont forget, manny was a big part in that. I believe he won a little award called WS MVP? But im sure Jason Bay will fill those shoes.

jetersbatboy
07-31-2008, 08:26 PM
as for the choke I'll give you that, but isn't the New York to Boston World series ratio like 7-1.:D

karamaxjoe
07-31-2008, 08:42 PM
Maybe we should change the name of this forum to the ESGUN or Eastern Seaboard Game Used Network.

It's painfully obvious Manny had to go. If AROD had pulled that crap in New York, you Yankee lovers would want him gone too. I don't care how good a player Manny is. If you quit on your team like he did in 2006 and was getting ready to do this year, you have to go.

Danny899
07-31-2008, 08:49 PM
Being a huge Manny fan, I was really dissapointed of his actions on and off the field this season. I do agree he was selfish and put himself first before the team, I think the Red Sox will be a better team without him and will rebound, Jason Bay coming over from the Pirates is hitting .282, with 22 HR's, 64 rbi's and 7 SB's, so he's no slouch. Dont count the Red Sox out, still a lot of games to be played!

Bobby

You are so right by saying that the Sox will be better without him. You don't think some Bosox players are quietly loving this? Jason Bay is a heck of a ballplayer and will fit in nicely especially now that he's on a competitive team. Manny surely has the record for the longest singles in the history of the game, some 400+ feet. (sorry Bobby) Now's a great time to get Manny's Sox items, I'm sure they'll nose dive.

allstarsplus
07-31-2008, 09:01 PM
I hear Jack McCormick the traveling secretary for the Red Sox can come out of hiding!!!! :D

Dodgers travel to Washington at the end of August! See you then!

metsbats
07-31-2008, 09:04 PM
The Tampa Bay Rays in first place in the AL East last time I checked? The Yankees are in a three team race. The Red Sox are the least of their problems :p

There's rivalry and then theres reality.

David

NegleyPirate
07-31-2008, 09:06 PM
I'll bet Bobby will get the 1st Manny game used Dodgers bat(lol) He probably already has it preordered(lol). Bobby let me know if you are trading any Manny Red Sox bats.
Thanks,

Sheffield11
07-31-2008, 09:21 PM
Maybe we should change the name of this forum to the ESGUN or Eastern Seaboard Game Used Network.

It's painfully obvious Manny had to go. If AROD had pulled that crap in New York, you Yankee lovers would want him gone too. I don't care how good a player Manny is. If you quit on your team like he did in 2006 and was getting ready to do this year, you have to go.

Very true about, but thats only because we already hate him :). If it was anybody else who was still producing it wouldnt bother me, but arod would need to go, LOL

cohibasmoker
08-01-2008, 08:15 AM
I personally am glad to see Manny go.

Here's the way I see it: Manny had quite an advantage in batting average with runners in scoring position but with that say, both of their averages were pretty much even for the 2008 season.

So when you factor in there are just two Months left in the season, a motivated player versus Manny, the Red Sox made out very well. Hopefully the Red Sox machine will once again fire on all cylinders and it should be a very interesting ending for the 2008 season.

Jim

yanks12025
08-01-2008, 09:35 AM
The Rays will not win the east maybe the wild card over the red sox.

And for the yankees choke in 2004, i would rather take one choke instead of all the chokes the red soxs have had over the years.

matt
08-01-2008, 12:21 PM
As a 30 year sox fan, this is all hard to take, as there was no good outcome for the fans or Theo.

In order to take the high ground as a team, I hoped they would control him, but they can't. Still, he might have produced for the last few months just because he cares about his wallet most, and he drives down his free agency value by doggin' it with the eyes of the world on him.

But Sox mgmt caved and Manny won. The Borass tactics worked. On the bright side, though they are weaker this year, they start next year in a better position with Bay under contract for another year at $7 mil. They have budget to buy a new free agent star.

As to whether the Manny bats get cheaper, they might drop in the short term (they peaked around the time he hit #500 and some 2007 bats sold over $2000), but in the longer term, the 2004-2007 Red Sox period was golden and there will be no new Manny Red Sox gamers hitting the market. Lots of demand (look at you all hittin' up Bobby for bats already) and no new supply.

Matt

bubbrubb25
08-01-2008, 02:48 PM
I wonder if his red sox helmet is gonna hit the market?

Game Used Bats
08-01-2008, 03:47 PM
I know after he hit number 500 he donated the helmet he used for the last several years to the HOF. Maybee steiner will get the one he used for the last month or so.

Anthony

treant985
08-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Could anyone tell what the engaving on his bat was for his first game as a Dodger? I found a bunch of pics, but none showed the entire thing. I'm wondering if he was using a bat that still said Red Sox, if it said Dodgers, or if it said just his name.

maccamania
08-02-2008, 09:04 AM
it says "diamond elite", manny does not have a contract with Nike

treant985
08-02-2008, 09:28 AM
it says "diamond elite", manny does not have a contract with Nike

Thanks for the info. I guess those were some of the only bats he had around that didn't have the Red Sox on them.

Do you know which companies he DOES have a contract with? I'm curious as to which companies will be making Manny Dodger bats that he will be using in games.

godwulf
08-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Manny's appearance in the Ravine last night certainly provoked a lot of hype, ticket sales and camera flashes....but he didn't help the Dodgers gain any ground on the Diamondbacks. Bouncing into that double play in the 9th sent more folks to the parking lot than the last major earthquake. Oh, and we got a great look at Manny's outfield "defense", as well. :rolleyes: