PDA

View Full Version : Mantle Jersey - eBay

beantown
08-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Just curious what Yankee / Mantle collectors thought of this jersey? I personally would have a hard time paying $25k for an "old timers" jersey...

http://cgi.ebay.com/MICKEY-MANTLE-GAME-USED-JERSEY-PROVENANCE-MEARS-A10_W0QQitemZ290249818691QQihZ019QQcategoryZ60597Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

mfsquirrelmaster
08-01-2008, 10:12 PM
don't know about the authenticity of the jersey, but $25K seems like a crazy price.

trsent
08-02-2008, 02:43 AM
So make an offer or find something else to invest your children's college funds on.

mvandor
08-02-2008, 07:54 AM
don't know about the authenticity of the jersey, but $25K seems like a crazy price.

For an old timers game used jersey, I agree. That's one small notch up from one worn for promotional purposes and certainly not comparable to one worn during Mantle's active playing career. Plus, personally, I would want it signed, he had a wonderful signature IMHO.

sammy
08-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Being as the main concern here seems to be the asking price, lets look at the various degrees in regard to a Mickey Mantle game used jersey, and the value therein.

Here are the various degrees.

1) A Mickey Mantle jersey from his playing days.

2) A Mickey Mantle jersey that was used in the 1970s - early 1980s, mainly for games at Yankee Stadium between various Hall of Famers and other superstars.

3) A Mickey Mantle jersey from his Baseball Fantasy Camp days in the late 1980s to early 1990s.

4) A Mickey Mantle jersey from the late 1980s to early 1990s that he worn mainly when older players were brought out for appearances at Yankee Stadium.

5) A Mickey Mantle jersey worn during personal appearances, book signings, promotionals, etc.

A) The most valuable jersey would be No. 1, with these jerseys selling in the 100k to 175k+ range. I would venture to say, all things being the same, the older the jersey, the more valuable. The value would also be higher if the jersey can be traced to a significant event or year.

B) The second most valuable jersey would be No. 2. The value of these jerseys are difficult to state within a range, as these are fairly rare and one really doesn't see any for sale. The jersey on eBay would fall within this range. The reason I place these jerseys as the second most valuable is because of the rarity, the closer these were used by Mick to his actual playing days, and the fact that these jerseys were actually game used by Mick as a player, to play anywhere from 1 to 3+ innings in, such as the game shown in the eBay auction ad with Mantle and DiMaggio. I would venture to say that Mick used these jerseys on more then one occasion due to the fact that the uniform would probably be more comfortable after wear and washing.

C) The third most valuable jersey would be No. 3. These are the jerseys from the Mickey Mantle / Whitey Ford Baseball Fantasy Camp. These jerseys are from the late 1980s to early 1990s. Again, more common due to time period, and the multiple uniforms made for use at the camp, but these were worn during baseball games with Mick as coach.

D) The fourth most valuable would be No. 4. These jerseys would be more common due to the time period. Also these jerseys were not used for any games, but just game appearances. The real value would be to photo match Mick with one of these jerseys used in a Yankee Stadium appearance.

E) The fifth most valuable jersey would be No. 5, and I would equate one of these a step above personal clothing.

With all this said, one can't really compare the asking price of 25k to the value of a jersey from Mick's playing days.

If you are a Mickey Mantle collector, do as Joel states, and make an offer if you don't like the price. It is a Mickey Mantle game used jersey, and this may be the closest you will come to one, as affordable Mick gamers do not come up for sale any longer.