PDA

View Full Version : AWA85 - Banned???

frikativ54
08-02-2008, 07:49 PM
I was reading an old thread on an Adam Dunn gamer, when I saw under his username that AWA85 had been banned. What is the reason for this? I remember that he was my age (23), and he always had interesting things to say about the game-used hobby. Why is this valuable member of our collecting community now banned? I read many of AWA85's posts, and I cannot discover any grounds for his banning.

What is going on here?

ham1963
08-02-2008, 07:55 PM
You must not pay to much attenetion check out this link

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=17865

John:D

yanks12025
08-02-2008, 07:55 PM
I bet it has something to do with his posts in the thread (Wanted For Sale Items To Come Back!!!). Their going to ban everyone that made a post in that thread because they know were onto their plan and they need to get rid of the proof.

allstarsplus
08-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Ham - Looks like he was banned today so the question is why????

Very good posts by him in the past. It is a shame to see valuable members not on the site as much too.

I can think of 3 that aren't posting as much lately namely Rudy, Reid, and Brett.

Those are 3 guys that I always looked forward daily to reading their posts.

cigarman44
08-02-2008, 08:02 PM
GUU is just getting into the spirit of the Olympics. Communism is big in China. If you say the wrong thing your dead! Guess I'll be gone soon for this post. Awe shucks...

frikativ54
08-02-2008, 08:03 PM
You must not pay to much attenetion check out this link

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=17865

John:D

Did something get deleted? I don't see anything there besides baseball talk. Then again, this is my first time looking, because I grew up in Seattle and so easily get sick of hearing about Griffey.

What was said?

frikativ54
08-02-2008, 08:05 PM
We really shouldn't be banning 23-year-olds; they are the future of this hobby.

yanks12025
08-02-2008, 08:10 PM
These admins have to much power. They dont give two sh*ts what we think. When we stand up against them all they will do is ban us. Cigarman44 is right its just like communism(messed up).

ChrisCavalier
08-02-2008, 08:36 PM
The reason AWA85 was banned was because he took email addresses off the GUU site and sent those members an unsolicited email. While I will not comment on the ethics of such behavior, I will tell you that, not only did we receive feedback from a number of members who did not appreciate receiving the email, such actions will not be tolerated on GUU.

Contrary to the posts on this thread which, of course, were made without an understanding of the situation, we do not ban members without just cause.

If anyone has any questions they can feel free to email me directly.

frikativ54
08-02-2008, 08:40 PM
These admins have to much power. They dont give two sh*ts what we think. When we stand up against them all they will do is ban us. Cigarman44 is right its just like communism(messed up).

I decided to email AWA85 and ask him what happened. Out of respect for his privacy, I will only quote a portion of what he shared. Here goes:

Just found out I was banned for sending out email to people about Tim's Hall of Fame message board. Really stinks, I just looked up some emails of people that post a lot on GUU and thought people might want to check it out because it actually had a place for items to sell.

I checked out the TOS, and it prohibits against spam. However, I did receive his email, and he in no way spammed the entire message board. Rather, he suggested that others could check out an alternate forum where people could sell items for free.

AWA85 reiterated that this ban is permanent. That's right - an upstanding member was banned from using this site because he sent out an email, not offensive in any way, suggesting to members where they could find a place to sell items for free.

I can only respond that the content of the email, not his writing several members, is the real reason why he was suspended.

I know this because I read all the emails, and AWA85 was not alone in his suggestion that we find a new forum that actually listens to its collectors and is not a for-profit enterprise.

Sheffield11
08-02-2008, 08:45 PM
The reason AWA85 was banned was because he took email addresses off the GUU site and sent those members an unsolicited email. While I will not comment on the ethics of such behavior, I will tell you that, not only did we receive feedback from a number of members who did not appreciate receiving the email, such actions will not be tolerated on GUU.

Contrary to the posts on this thread which, of course, were made without an understanding of the situation, we do not ban members without just cause.

Who would tell the moderators of such a thing? He was only trying to help people. We should Ban those who told on Him.

yanks12025
08-02-2008, 08:49 PM
I dont agree with this at all, its not right and i bet alot of people argee with frikativ54 and me.

Chris or who ever runs this site. Just change the name of the site to gameusedauctions.com because thats all you guys CARE ABOUT, and the extra buck thats goes into your guys pocket.

yanks12025
08-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Their called Rats.

Who would tell the moderators of such a thing? He was only trying to help people. We should Ban those who told on Him.

cigarman44
08-02-2008, 09:00 PM

I guess I dont understand. Someone was telling people where they can go trade and sell in FREE ENTERPRISE and you banned them.

Sounds like communism to me.

FWIW Im a member of HOFbats.com and have bought bats from Tim. Great site and great person to deal with.

allstarsplus
08-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Sounds like communism to me.

When you own a business, you sometimes have to make tough decisions and sometimes those decisions have adverse results.

Chris made a decision he says was due to breaking rules. He doesn't need a judge or jury to say he was right and maybe he will change his mind down the road or maybe he won't.

The bigger problem as I see it which I stated before are key members who aren't participating to the magnitude they were before.

Any thoughts on why that may be the case?

ChrisCavalier
08-02-2008, 09:43 PM
When you own a business, you sometimes have to make tough decisions and sometimes those decisions have adverse results.

Chris made a decision he says was due to breaking rules. He doesn't need a judge or jury to say he was right and maybe he will change his mind down the road or maybe he won't.

The bigger problem as I see it which I stated before are key members who aren't participating to the magnitude they were before.

Any thoughts on why that may be the case?
Hello Andrew,

First, regarding the banning, sending unsolicited emails to members who have posted their email addresses on the site is wrong, period. I have already received comments that people are now reluctant to post their email addresses on the site because they don't want to receive emails for things they haven't requested. This is not good for the site or those who participate. If anyone does it in the future the result will be the same. In fact, I have already received an email from Adam apologizing for what he did and admitting it was wrong. I applaud him for being mature enough to admit is mistake and apologizing.

As for the posting on the site, I don't think the site as slowed down nor do the site statistics suggest anything along those lines. In fact, at the National I have had tons of people (including people who only read the forum and don't post) tell me what we are doing is the greatest thing for the hobby. In fact, someone from the FBI did introduce himself to me at the show but only to tell me that they read this forum and it has helped them understand more about the hobby. Personally, I think the efforts of those who participate here have helped take the hobby in a positive direction that will not be reversed and I respect everyone who posts here in an effort to make that happen.

Please let me know if that answers your question.

allstarsplus
08-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Chris - I was actually sticking up for you as you made a business decision and my comment was "adverse" pertaining to certain members that seemed to be turned off to the decision.

This site has been invaluable to so many in the hobby.

My bigger concern is the reduced role taken by many that I viewed as great assets and the list is probably larger than the 3 I named.

I posted several weeks ago "where is Rudy" and nobody responded. I think he posted recently, but Chris, aren't you concerned that we have seen a reduced role by some very knowledgeable members?

Vintagedeputy
08-02-2008, 10:05 PM
I think that it was Mrs. Marblethorpe in the library with a letter opener.

frikativ54
08-02-2008, 10:21 PM
In fact, I have already received an email from Adam apologizing for what he did and admitting it was wrong. I applaud him for being mature enough to admit is mistake and apologizing.

While AWA85 was apologetic in his email to me, you are ignoring the larger issue here. For one mistake, you are banning a 23-year-old collector from this forum for life. Young collectors are the future of this hobby, and by alienating him, you are alienating me. Young people make mistakes. In my life, I have done far worse things than sending unsolicited emails. Had people reacted to me with the same draconian measures as you did to Adam, I would have grown more resentful than penitent.

I made some huge spending errors on eBay when I was 14; I got in big trouble for them. However, my parents did not take eBay away from me for life. I got it back in a year and a half, and I have not made one mistake since. Personal experiences aside, the point is that you are going to the extreme. You may be stressed from the National, but be a man and admit that you are being too harsh. All you need to do is say that you are wrong, give out a short suspension, and let's move on. For the benefit of this forum, I think you owe it to a penitent and regular participator to commute AWA85's banning for life.

ChrisCavalier
08-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Chris - I was actually sticking up for you as you made a business decision and my comment was "adverse" pertaining to certain members that seemed to be turned off to the decision.

This site has been invaluable to so many in the hobby.

My bigger concern is the reduced role taken by many that I viewed as great assets and the list is probably larger than the 3 I named.

I posted several weeks ago "where is Rudy" and nobody responded. I think he posted recently, but Chris, aren't you concerned that we have seen a reduced role by some very knowledgeable members?
Hello Andrew,

I have noticed Rudy has posted recently and I trust that will led to useful information for members. I have also noticed others who post here that also provide a great asset to collectors. There are certainly different personalities on the site and I'm sure different reasons why some members are more active at times than others.

Overall, I think this is the greatest place for collectors to come for help in the hobby and I think those who give their time to help educate each other deserve nothing but admiration. If I tried to list the names of those here that are worthy of praise it would take quite some time. Suffice it to say, there are tons of people here that have helped make this hobby a better place for everyone and we should all be grateful for their participation. While I wish everyone would post as much as possible, I trust the overall affect is that this site continues to be a positive influence in the hobby. From what I am seeing, I believe that is the case.

ndevlin
08-02-2008, 10:27 PM
My opinion on this subject, which probably doesnt matter anyways, is that banning a member for this sounds to be a little overboard. A slap on the hand and a suspension for a month or so would have gotten the point across, and sure would have pleased everyone. Now the member, that has no history of causing trouble, is now forced to go elsewhere. Thats sad.

allstarsplus
08-02-2008, 10:43 PM
Hello Andrew,

I have noticed Rudy has posted recently

there are tons of people here that have helped make this hobby a better place for everyone and we should all be grateful for their participation.

Chris - I also noted Rudy posted recently
I think he posted recently and hope he starts a few threads.

Since this isn't a Blog and is a Forum, we have to rely on participants posting good information.

You say
I don't think the site as slowed down nor do the site statistics suggest anything along those lines.

and I am a stats guy but you have to read between the lines as the quality of posts in my opinion isn't as good as it was a couple of years ago. You can agree or disagree.

If it was my business, I would want some good honest feedback from Senior Members on how the Forum can improve and what it would take to get some "key" members back.

ChrisCavalier
08-02-2008, 10:48 PM
While AWA85 was apologetic in his email to me, you are ignoring the larger issue here. For one mistake, you are banning a 23-year-old collector from this forum for life.
Hello Leslie,

I'm not sure where the "for life" comment is coming from. There is not some function in the system that dictates a "for life" banning where a member can never be reinstated.

As I said, I, for one, was very impressed by the maturity of Adam and appreciate the email me sent to us. This will be discussed among the moderators to determine the appropriate response.

Contrary to conspiracy theories, I think everyone who knows those of us involved with this site understand everything we (along with the members) have done to try to help this hobby. We try to help everyone as much as we can and we will use our best judgement to continue to try to do so.

metsbats
08-02-2008, 11:53 PM
I received an email from Adam regarding the other site today. I found no offense to his email and thanked him for the info. In fact I had joined the other forum months ago just to broaden my horizons and meet other collectors who may not be part of GUU.

This is not the first time I received unsolicited emails from other GUU members. I've had offers in the past to buy items and folks emailing me directly with questions about certain items. I honestly didn't even know it was illegal to email members outside of the GUU platform.

While I personally didnt not take offense to Adam's unsolicited email other folks may not feel the same way and wish to safeguard themselves from unsolicited emails which is the reason for the rule.

I think Adam acted with no malice intended and just was trying to help.

-David

trsent
08-03-2008, 12:40 AM
Hello Leslie,

I'm not sure where the "for life" comment is coming from. There is not some function in the system that dictates a "for life" banning where a member can never be reinstated.

As I said, I, for one, was very impressed by the maturity of Adam and appreciate the email me sent to us. This will be discussed among the moderators to determine the appropriate response.

Contrary to conspiracy theories, I think everyone who knows those of us involved with this site understand everything we (along with the members) have done to try to help this hobby. We try to help everyone as much as we can and we will use our best judgement to continue to try to do so.

So hopefully Adam will be reinstated next week and this will be a brief lesson learned with no future issues.

chicagoglen
08-03-2008, 01:42 AM
My 2 Cents.

I like many here, view daily but post rarely.

I have a few things to say regarding the issue at hand.

First off, the board is only as valuable as the members that participate. MODERATORS PLEASE REMEMBER THIS.

The for sale section brought a lot of people here to view your site. By eliminating this YOU HAVE CREATED YOUR OWN COMPETITION THAT WILL PROVIDE THIS FOR FREE.

Finally, we all know YOU made a mistake of banning a kid today and are hiding behind the guise of forum rules.

Sad day. Fix it and move on.

Glen

cohibasmoker
08-03-2008, 06:16 AM

Chris,

As my posts will show, I have always supported your decisions of the "For Sale" section. Was AWA85 wrong for doing what he did? Perhaps but why not do what you guys have always done in the past - take the high road.

To me, your actions seem like something a auction house would do to retaliate against a forum member if they wrote a negative post against them on this forum.

I got a email from Dave and the way I see it, if he wants to start another forum, so be it. We are all trying to make the hobby better and a little competition is always a good thing. Just rememeber this, when someone opens another forum, the model for their website will be copied after your website because you guys are far and away the leaders in the industry.

In closing, please re-think your decision. Banned is one thing and a suspension would be another.

Jim

metsbats
08-03-2008, 06:33 AM
Jim,

Please clarify which Dave is starting another forum. It's actually Tim I believe we are referring to.

Great point that imitation if the highest form of flattery.

Another point I'd like to make is that Tim's forum is primarily a bat forum while the GUF covers all game used items in all sports. While the format may be the same the GUF's scope will always be larger as it casts a larger net and attracts a larger diverse audience.

David

3arod13
08-03-2008, 07:39 AM
I also received an email from Adam about the other website and thought nothing of it. Actually, I had already joined that site. Even if I wasn't a member, I still wouldn't have thought anything about it. I now who Adam is, so not a bid deal to me.

If Adam would have taken emails from GUU to advertise or inform people about his own business or another area or subject (not sports or game used related), then I can understand. However, people to have a right not to be contacted, so I do understand Chris' point also.

However, Adam apologized. Took responsibility for his actions. Why not reinstate him now?

3arod13
08-03-2008, 07:39 AM
I also received an email from Adam about the other website and thought nothing of it. Actually, I had already joined that site. Even if I wasn't a member, I still wouldn't have thought anything about it. I now who Adam is, so not a bid deal to me.

If Adam would have taken emails from GUU to advertise or inform people about his own business or another area or subject (not sports or game used related), then I can understand. However, people to have a right not to be contacted, so I do understand Chris' point also.

However, Adam apologized. Took responsibility for his actions. Why not reinstate him now?

I know who Adam is, so not a big deal to me.

ChrisCavalier
08-03-2008, 07:53 AM
Chris,

As my posts will show, I have always supported your decisions of the "For Sale" section. Was AWA85 wrong for doing what he did? Perhaps but why not do what you guys have always done in the past - take the high road.

To me, your actions seem like something a auction house would do to retaliate against a forum member if they wrote a negative post against them on this forum.

I got a email from Dave and the way I see it, if he wants to start another forum, so be it. We are all trying to make the hobby better and a little competition is always a good thing. Just rememeber this, when someone opens another forum, the model for their website will be copied after your website because you guys are far and away the leaders in the industry.

In closing, please re-think your decision. Banned is one thing and a suspension would be another.

Jim
Hello Jim,

I have to head to the show and only have a few minutes to post. First of all, I think the whole "ban" terminology is creating a bit of a hang-up. I didn't execute it but will check on how it was done. The whole "for life" thing wasn't the intention.

As another point of clarification, I do not see the taking of names off this site to send unsolicited emails without our consent as an okay thing. I think it is wrong and we will act whenever if ever it is done. The content didn't matter. It is something we think is wrong in the absolute and we will not condone it nor expose our members to that behavior.

If you look at the posts we have allowed, I think you can see we have allowed people to post their opinions even when they are different to ours. In fact, we are trying to figure out the best way to roll out a selling platform that meets the needs of both those on this site as well as GUU. As always, we will listen to opinions and suggestions from the members and try to figure out the best way to get it done.

Please let me know if that makes sense and if you have any other questions. Again, I have to leave for the show and will be traveling today but will check the late boards tonight when I return.

eGameUsed
08-03-2008, 07:54 AM
I was choosing to stay out of this, but have one simple comment in the form of a question.

What is the difference in receiving an e-mail from a member offering some hobby information versus an e-mail from this site offering their exclusive Dallas Cowboys deal?

I don't even collect game used football items so I felt that more spam than Adam's email. Isn't a mass e-mail to all members the definition of spam? Am I the only one that received that Cowboys e-mail?

3arod13
08-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Bottom line, a warning and slap on the hand should have been enough!

3arod13
08-03-2008, 08:12 AM
Bottom line, a warning and slap on the hand should have been enough!

All Adam was doing was letting members of this forum know about another game used site. His intentions were nothing but good.

3arod13
08-03-2008, 08:14 AM
I vote to reinstate Adam and end this thread!

mvandor
08-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Chris, GUU's foray into the for-profit world has understandably caused many here some concern as to how the forums will be run moving forward. Once the first dollar came over the transom here, this site became a commercial enterprise run by businessmen, and ceased to be a non-profit informational site by hobbyists for hobbyists. No other way to slice that as I see it; the first indication that things had changed was the removal of the free items for sale sub-forum.

Certainly the subject of Adam's email was adverse to your business interests here, so it is understandable that strong punitive action against him might come across as a new commercial enterprise's protection of its turf.

No question he violated an understandable rule which necessitates reasonable disciplinary action. I would suggest, however, that the word 'ban' has a permanent connotation to it and such an action is excessive. A suspension for a definitive period of time would seem more balanced and appropriate and would carry a much fairer appearance.

mwbosoxfan
08-03-2008, 09:24 AM
I received an email from Adam regarding the other site today. I found no offense to his email and thanked him for the info. In fact I had joined the other forum months ago just to broaden my horizons and meet other collectors who may not be part of GUU.

This is not the first time I received unsolicited emails from other GUU members. I've had offers in the past to buy items and folks emailing me directly with questions about certain items. I honestly didn't even know it was illegal to email members outside of the GUU platform.

While I personally didnt not take offense to Adam's unsolicited email other folks may not feel the same way and wish to safeguard themselves from unsolicited emails which is the reason for the rule.

I think Adam acted with no malice intended and just was trying to help.

-David

I agree totally with metsbats. Honestly, based on any other infractions a member might commit, a moderator would generally make a post pointing out the violation. There is no question what value this site and its members provide to the hobby. Everyone makes mistakes, but apparrently, the moderators or mgt. of the site made a bigger mistake in how they chose to deal with this particular situation. The main reason is that it raises issues concerning their credibility and contradicts what they say the purpose of the site is for.

mwbosoxfan
08-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Chris,

Did you PM or e-mail AWA85 and point out that he was in violation of the GUU rules? Did he have a chance to respond back to you before you banned him? Since it involved other GUU members, did you make a general post reiterating the rule stating that such practices were in violation?

Thanks,
John

larry bourget
08-03-2008, 09:51 AM
The first thing the GUU brass should do is remove " Share the Knowledge" from the GUU.com header, because Share the Knowledge does not work here anymore. This site is nothing but Contradictions on what is acceptable and allowed to stay and what is not., ........i signed up for Dave's website, i am sure it will be very refreshing. I will do my best to help make it a success.

He has a Welcome matt at the front door.

i accept email,
larry.bourget@sympatico.ca

platinum1
08-03-2008, 10:29 AM
The first thing the GUU brass should do is remove " Share the Knowledge" from the GUU.com header, because Share the Knowledge does not work here anymore. This site is nothing but Contradictions on what is acceptable and allowed to stay and what is not., ........i signed up for Dave's website, i am sure it will be very refreshing. I will do my best to help make it a success.

He has a Welcome matt at the front door.

i accept email,
larry.bourget@sympatico.ca

AMEN!! TO THAT

flaco1801
08-03-2008, 11:02 AM
to those members that thought the e-mail was "offensive", could they please post the way in which they only recieve mail that they have solicited. i would love to have my spam folder empty... and what did happen to the new platform that was to be the site of the "new" for sale banner??? regards Jeff

DonTheLegend
08-03-2008, 01:19 PM
I was choosing to stay out of this, but have one simple comment in the form of a question.

What is the difference in receiving an e-mail from a member offering some hobby information versus an e-mail from this site offering their exclusive Dallas Cowboys deal?

I don't even collect game used football items so I felt that more spam than Adam's email. Isn't a mass e-mail to all members the definition of spam? Am I the only one that received that Cowboys e-mail?

what a great comment, because i too was going to remain on the sidelines, but youve prompted me to reply.

after reading this i am wondering what the difference is.

i know rules are rules, but it hardly makes any sense to me.

im not for or against either party on this issue however, if i receive an email that i choose not to read, i delete it. end of story.

i have also sent "unsolicited" emails with the purpose of helping out members on certain items or issues. i dont think its spamming or malicious.

i also think the rule is too black and white. a rule like that inherently has tons of gray area and is left to interpretation by some that dont fully understand what is being implied.

my two cents.

i'll hang up and listen.

flaco1801
08-03-2008, 02:43 PM
anyone gonna post the new website here or is that against the rules??? Jeff

Billyu40
08-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Would someone please send me the website to this new page, because i'm sure its illegal to post it on here. Thanks

Billyu40@hotmail.com

cigarman44
08-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Its not a new site. Its Tim's bat site which he himself has posted about on here before.

www.hofbats.com

Eric
08-03-2008, 03:14 PM

Guys

I have no stake in this but I wanted to add some thoughts. Some of the mods are and have been paying to run this site so it can be free. In exchange for that, rules were developed which everyone agreed to when they signed up.

Believe it or not, since they're paying the expenses, they have the right to 1) make the rules and 2) make some money back so things can keep moving forward.

Also, people have been making an unfair leap. If someone breaks the rules, they get suspended. No one said he was banned forever.

I enjoy everyone's participation on this forum, including when there's a difference of opinions. I just thought I'd throw mine in.

cigarman44
08-03-2008, 03:22 PM
I spent my 50 bucks or whatever to be a "Premium" member. Listing a few items here for sale shouldn't be that much of a problem.

I still don't see how they are responsible for someone getting ripped off. People get ripped of on eBay, Craigslist, ect, ect everyday. Those sites aren't held responsible. A simple disclaimer would do. As someone said before..."Do your homework"

3arod13
08-03-2008, 03:27 PM
This can go on forever.

Again, bottom line: A simple warning or slap on the hand should have been enough.

Suspended? Give me a break!

bigtruck260
08-03-2008, 03:41 PM

Got that email... and the one from Dave about the new forum he is creating.

I would be interested in the targets of Adam's emails and Dave's emails. I have not talked to either person before. If I minded getting emails from other members, I certainly would not post mine in my signature.

I get unsolicited emails ALL THE TIME from people who have seen my collection in my signature - and want to buy stuff from me...or have questions that they would like answers to. I have the ability to ignore it if I want to...and even send all future emails directly into my trash bin for permanent riddance.

There have also been times where I have offered something (unsolicited) to another member(s) by using the email addy in their signature. I figure that's why they put it there.

Tim's site is just bats. He is one of the more sophisticated bat guys I know - I'm just suprised that someone was so offended by Adam's email that caused one of the Mods to ban him (for any length of time). Usually when someone breaks a rule, Rob, Eric or Chris simply creates a new post and embarrasses the person while proving the point. It usually works.

I'm not upset about it, just trying to understand. Rules are rules I guess...

Fnazxc0114
08-03-2008, 03:47 PM
do you think elite or locker room memorabilia have ever done what awa did. i get emails from both of these companies and have never signed up for crap.

Billyu40
08-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Thank you to those that have sent me replies. I have already utlized these pages.

BoneRubbedBat
08-03-2008, 04:00 PM
I remember receiving an unsolicited e-mail from some guy named "Eric" a few years back inviting me to a new website he had created called the "Game Used Forum." I had no idea who Eric was or how he got my e-mail, but I am sure glad he contacted me to be one of the first few members of GUF.

Eric, thank you again for starting the forum....oh how I wish for the old days some times....

otismalibu
08-03-2008, 04:27 PM
So this means that AWA85 is the first member of our jury, correct?

God, if he had the immunity idol and didn't play it, he's going to be kicking himself.

Time for a reward challenge. Wanna know what you're playing for?

A Granville Waiters game worn Rockets jersey!!!

In the first part of the challenge you have to examine 3 superstar jerseys and see if you can see the old 'common player' name and number remnants. To complete the challenge, you will need to photomatch 3 game used items using only Getty Images and their incorrectly dated photos.

Collectors ready?

cigarman44
08-03-2008, 04:32 PM
So this means that AWA85 is the first member of our jury, correct?

God, if he had the immunity idol and didn't play it, he's going to be kicking himself.

Time for a reward challenge. Wanna know what you're playing for?

In the first part of the challenge you have to examine 3 superstar jerseys and see if you can see the old 'common player' name and number remnants. To complete the challenge, you will need to photomatch 3 game used items using only Getty Images and their incorrectly dated photos.

Collectors ready?

I nominate this post of the week :D

3arod13
08-03-2008, 05:21 PM
I emailed Adam and told him, him emailing me wasn't a big deal and I appreciated the heads-up of the website. Here's his reply:

Thank you Tony, it means a lot! Just wasn't a smart thing to do and something I didn't even think about at the time.

I used the site a ton so it is a little weird being banned. On the bright side it might save me a buck or two if it slows my collecting down a little (no guarantees there hahaha).

Thanks again for the kind words, take care!

Adam Albertsen
AWA85

Now, does this sound like a person who had bad intentions. An innocent mistake.

Again, suspending him...give me a break!

cigarman44
08-03-2008, 05:25 PM
I remember receiving an unsolicited e-mail from some guy named "Eric" a few years back inviting me to a new website he had created called the "Game Used Forum." I had no idea who Eric was or how he got my e-mail, but I am sure glad he contacted me to be one of the first few members of GUF.

Eric, thank you again for starting the forum....oh how I wish for the old days some times....

Well a rule is a rule. Looks like ERIC should be banned :rolleyes:

both-teams-played-hard
08-03-2008, 06:28 PM

Otis
Do you remember that Granville went bald, when he was still in college?

And yes, the threat of offering authentication makes it a hassle to sell on this site. When GUU starts authenticating, then a new conflict of interest is born.
Fellas, just write up a disclaimer saying you don't nothing about nothing that these fools are selling, and open the "FOR SALE" section.

I also recieved the unsolicited email from some cat named Eric, about his new forum, Game Used Forum.
I get unsolicited emails every day, some from companys that got my address from this very site. And no, I am not in the market for a signed 8x10 of some wrestler on 'roids. But, I delete it and move on.
My lack of posts are NOT some sort of protest about the owners or moderators of this sight. I simply got a lot of sh!t on my plate.
Autographs smear, tackle twill wrinkles, and above all...tears dry.

metsbats
08-03-2008, 06:46 PM
I don't know about you guys but I find unsolicited emails trying to tell me I need Viagra more offensive than the one i got from Adam:D

-David

jgoldstein2000
08-03-2008, 07:01 PM
The funny thing is the whole reason this email went out was because GUU isn't offering a for-sale thread anymore...

Dewey2007
08-03-2008, 09:50 PM
I'm coming into this discussion late but I had something similar happen to me. I once posted some info on this site about an autograph signing that was listed on SigningsHotline.com w/o knowing that it was against their rules to post their info on public forums. They suspended my membership, I apologized and told them it wouldn't happen again and they re-instated my membership. Hopefully the guys who run this site will do the same soon since it has been made clear that AWA85 offered a sincere apology and wasn't aware it was against the rules.

I am more offended that AWA85 didn't include me in his e-mail blast!!!

Free AWA85 and let's all move onto more important things.

frikativ54
08-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Free AWA85 and let's all move onto more important things.

I think we deserve an update on this situation. Has AWA85's "banning" been commuted? Or did you just hope the issue would die out?

Vintagedeputy
08-06-2008, 03:05 PM
I think we deserve an update on this situation. Has AWA85's "banning" been commuted? Or did you just hope the issue would die out?

Please tell me why "we" deserve an update. Someone was banned. It's a decision of the site owners. "We" are not entitled to anything in that regard. If you got fired from a job, are your co-workers owed an explanation of why? Please.

Did I misspell anything there?

3arod13
08-06-2008, 04:03 PM

I believe many have expressed their opinions on this matter. It's now between GUU Owners and AWA85.

You seem passionate about things when you post. However, you need to take a step back and think about how you react and respond.

Too pushy...too demanding...and sometimes straight up rude.

Not sure why, but you may want to tone it down a bit. You can express youself without attacking others and being so harsh.

Just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Regards, Tony

ironmanfan
08-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Frik..is there anything about this hobby you enjoy? The vast majority of your posts are so filled with negativity....

R. C. Walker
08-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Frik..is there anything about this hobby you enjoy? The vast majority of your posts are so filled with negativity....

I concur.

frikativ54
08-07-2008, 12:51 AM

Yeah, I do enjoy the hobby. However, during the past month I have had a negative experience with MLB.com Auctions, with GUU regarding AWA85's banning, and with a couple of collectors. Thus, my opinion of the state of game-used collecting has taken a beating.

Add that to my irascible temperament and mercurial mood, and we don't have a pretty picture. In some ways, my personality is a lot like Billy Wagner's, except without the baseball talent. What can I do? We aren't all endowed with cheery dispositions. I am an unhappy person; I collect merely to ease the pain of my personal circumstances.

I just can't be positive in a hobby where I'm always a step away from being ripped off. And in an environment where ethics seem to be secondary to "getting a steal" as a buyer or "flipping" for fast cash as a seller, I just get tired of people who want to take advantage of others. I needn't mention names; you know who you are.

both-teams-played-hard
08-07-2008, 02:01 AM
What can I do? We aren't all endowed with cheery dispositions. I am an unhappy person; I collect merely to ease the pain of my personal circumstances.

Frik
It takes a real man to admit what you just admitted. You seem to be a good writer with above average intelligence. There are countless free blog sites on the internet (wordpress.com, etc.). Don't give up on collecting. But, you have a lot to say, so why don't you start a blog about one of the numerous different subjects that you have opinions. More than one hobby is always healthy.
GOOD LUCK!
Warren

trsent
08-07-2008, 02:34 AM
Yeah, I do enjoy the hobby. However, during the past month I have had a negative experience with MLB.com Auctions, with GUU regarding AWA85's banning, and with a couple of collectors. Thus, my opinion of the state of game-used collecting has taken a beating.

Add that to my irascible temperament and mercurial mood, and we don't have a pretty picture. In some ways, my personality is a lot like Billy Wagner's, except without the baseball talent. What can I do? We aren't all endowed with cheery dispositions. I am an unhappy person; I collect merely to ease the pain of my personal circumstances.

I just can't be positive in a hobby where I'm always a step away from being ripped off. And in an environment where ethics seem to be secondary to "getting a steal" as a buyer or "flipping" for fast cash as a seller, I just get tired of people who want to take advantage of others. I needn't mention names; you know who you are.

The way I see it, you didn't like what happened to you with MLB Auctions, but you didn't want to return your item, so you complained about it to the point where there was going to be nothing else done. MLB was not going to give a partial refund, so either send the item back or deal with it as is. You didn't like that a guy got suspended for breaking rules and we all assume he will be back. You didn't like the truth about ball boys giving the pretty girls balls.

I am sorry about your personal circumstances, but truth is we can all be friends on this site, but there is no need to bring topics continually down.

As your last paragraph states, there are those of us who buy and sell memorabilia for a living. You do not have to like it, but it exists in all businesses. You don't have to be bitter about it but use this forum to be sure you are getting a fair and honest deal.

frikativ54
08-07-2008, 03:03 AM
The way I see it, you didn't like what happened to you with MLB Auctions, but you didn't want to return your item, so you complained about it to the point where there was going to be nothing else done. MLB was not going to give a partial refund, so either send the item back or deal with it as is. You didn't like that a guy got suspended for breaking rules and we all assume he will be back. You didn't like the truth about ball boys giving the pretty girls balls.

In point of fact, I got the partial refund from MLB.com Auctions. It was only after the Mariners complained to them that they took serious action, refunding me $50 off the lineup card and another $15 on an unrelated shipping overcharge. I also don't like sexism. What's wrong with that? Shouldn't we be training guys of the future to give the ball not necessarily to the prettiest girl, but to the little girl who has her glove, lineup card, and pencil ready to enjoy the ballgame? I don't think there's anything extreme about demanding for MLB.com Auctions to be fair to me and for women to be looked at as more than just sex objects. Yet there are people on this site who think I'm being unreasonable simply because I am standing up for what is just.

trsent
08-07-2008, 05:56 AM
In point of fact, I got the partial refund from MLB.com Auctions. It was only after the Mariners complained to them that they took serious action, refunding me $50 off the lineup card and another $15 on an unrelated shipping overcharge. I also don't like sexism. What's wrong with that? Shouldn't we be training guys of the future to give the ball not necessarily to the prettiest girl, but to the little girl who has her glove, lineup card, and pencil ready to enjoy the ballgame? I don't think there's anything extreme about demanding for MLB.com Auctions to be fair to me and for women to be looked at as more than just sex objects. Yet there are people on this site who think I'm being unreasonable simply because I am standing up for what is just.

I am happy to hear you finally got some of your money back. I must have quit reading the thread as it was the same stuff over and over again.

I believe I previously preached to you that you should write all the Major League Ball Clubs over this concerns, as maybe they will hire people not to promote sexism. I think society is so sexist that it will be a waste of paper, but I made my point.

I think Warren made the comment above, there are many discussion groups on the web. Find the ones for your concerns over society as I do not think you will make any progress on this site complaining about it. Maybe I am wrong, but you did punish the former Orioles employee for doing what appeared to be natural in his position.

mvandor
08-07-2008, 08:32 AM
I think the more appropriate phrasing, is that many of us members would appreciate knowing the final disposition of the banning. Have the powers that be decided to make it permanent or to commute it to a time specific suspension?

Not our right to know, but quite a few showed interest in this and I'm sure would appreciate knowing.

Vintagedeputy
08-07-2008, 09:05 AM
I think the more appropriate phrasing, is that many of us members would appreciate knowing the final disposition of the banning. Have the powers that be decided to make it permanent or to commute it to a time specific suspension?

Not our right to know, but quite a few showed interest in this and I'm sure would appreciate knowing.

Well said mvandor. That is worded much better than the OP which comes across more harshly.

mvandor
08-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Well said mvandor. That is worded much better than the OP which comes across more harshly.

Unfortunately, we haven't had the courtesy of a reply, which is giving me the feeling Chris thinks it's none of our beeswax. :(